Fog Lights

slednek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also drive with fog lights on. Makes a huge difference for me. I also do my best to turn them off for oncoming traffic. At least the guys that drive with the fog lights can turn them off. I'm not complaining about the hids either, as friends have them and they do work great. I have never had an issue with hids or fog lights approaching or behind me. I just adjust and deal with it.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As I drove home from the hills last night, I couldn't help but notice that almost every truck carrying / pulling sleds had the auxillary foglamps on. Not to be an a##, but fog lights are for fog - not clear road conditions - they are very hard on the eyes when coming up in the rear view mirror. Also, for those of you who insist on keeping them on, perhaps it would be nice if you aimed them properly with the truck loaded so they are't pointing too high. In the past I was cautioned by an RCMP for using them, as he stated only one set of lights is legal. Can anyone confirm if this is law? Cause if it isn't, at least I can turn mine on - maybe other drivers will get the picture. Thanks, be safe out there.

I completely agree Fart! So many people drive with their "FOG" lights on in clear conditions thinking they light up the road better for them. When in fact they don't, (it's all in their mind). All they are meant to do is light up the fog line and centerline when it's, get this.........FOGGY! so you don't cross the line or off the road. The closer you get to one using them the brighter they get in your eyes. This is due to the fact that they are extremely bright for use in close proximity to your vehicle when it's "FOGGY" so you can see the lines. Everytime I see some dork with them on when it's not "FOGGY" I say to myself "good thing you have those FOG lights on in case you come across some FOG along the way, wouldn't wanna get caught with them off ya know.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they are brighter than "park lights" man, and it is against the law to drive with fog lights on in clear conditions. I wish it was enforced....they don't come on when you turn your lights on for a reason. you have to make them come on by turning them on, for fog....not because you think they look cool. they are designed to light the road immediately in front of your vehicle, they do not serve any other purpose than to illuminate the road in fog so you can see the lines. and fawk all the douchebags that convert them to HID and drive around with them on.

Exactly!

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The response " I need them to see animals" is such a bunch of bunk! By the time your stupid little blinding fog lights make you aware of an animal in your path it to damn late. The only thing they do is blind oncoming traffic because nobody bothers to set them up properly. You bet, its better to have another vehicle coming at your at 100 km's per hour or more that cant see, and have about 2 feet between you and them when you pass. Yup, blind the $hit out of them first, make a lot of sense.

I am 150,000 km per year person, I drive with the BEST of the best headlights, DOT and SAE approved JW Speaker LED's. I also get them properly aimed, then set them lower in respect for on coming traffic. Add to that a set of Sirius HID approved driving lights properly wired to high beams only. You cant get any better. I also run a set of fog lights wired seperate from any circiut with their own dedicated switch and they are only used for 2 things, fog and heavy snow.

One thing is absolute, the blinding of oncoming traffic in case there is an animal is the stupidest thing I have heard. It leads me to believe that the evolution of man is complete and we are now going backwards.

Last edited:

Jemeda11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find the people comming behind me are worse for blinding me. It takes them so long to catch up and pass and it seems that when they get the light just right to blind you in your side mirror they stay there a little longer just to make you mad. i now usually turn my side mirror out untill im in town and need to see in it. my rearview is auto tint so it doesnt bother me as much.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wont lie im one of those a$$ holes that do that. To bad guys i like to see i run 55W HIDs high/lows and in my fogs heres the real kicker i have the relay that lets me even keep my fogs on when highbeams are on. My lights are all aimed correctly and right within spec.

Its an open market go buy some real lights you will never regret it and the day you own them is the day you quit cursing everyone else that has them.

P.S dont run mud flaps either :cool: spent all my extra cash on lights.

Ya right, then I can be a douche bag too!

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wont lie im one of those a$$ holes that do that. To bad guys i like to see i run 55W HIDs high/lows and in my fogs heres the real kicker i have the relay that lets me even keep my fogs on when highbeams are on. My lights are all aimed correctly and right within spec.

Its an open market go buy some real lights you will never regret it and the day you own them is the day you quit cursing everyone else that has them.

P.S dont run mud flaps either :cool: spent all my extra cash on lights.

Im sure glad you live in Alberta, dont need more idiots like you in BC. You should come out for a trip, by the sounds of it you will leave about a grand in the BC revenue funds when the local cops get done with you.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is it not common curtiousy to turn off your log lights and dim your head lights when approaching another vehicle or does your handy little book have a loophole for that too?

Common courtesy has been lost for our younger up and comers these days! Just like it was said earlier, ME ME ME!

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep I always drive with fogs on, with HIDS to get a better ground view. But i received a $195 ticket for having them on. Coming back from valemount. So now i do not turn them on in BC. and they are aimed right and even with a load do not come even close to peoples windshield

But they still burn your eyeballs out when you get right in front of them! Turn the fekkers off when its not foGGY!

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run my fog lights because the show the edge of the highway for animals and such, they are LOW and only make the 10-20 feet of darkness in front of my truck lit up and its not any brighter or at least not even close to my brights on. I like how people flash their lights at me or their fog lights like fawk off, I see other trucks with their fogs on and it is NO brighter, there is more light for sure but there is also more lights on a semi with 30 orange clearance lights all over it too. Anyone that's pissed about fogs needs more important things to worry about.

as for hids they are a bit extreme, my 2010 rams headlights are not as bright as my 2008 gmcs but i still rarely run my brights, on my gmc i never ran brights.

Hmmm, I wonder why they are flashing you??????????????? Just for something to do?????????? Nah I don't think so. I'd take it as a message though if I were you.

Last edited by a moderator:

hurt'in albertan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they are not fog lights they are auxillury driving lights as most are clear not yellow!! annd yes i do drive with mine on sometime but not always it depends where i am driving to or from!!!

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are not "fog" lamps people. They are "driving lights" and they are legal, if they werent legal then manufactures wouldnt have them as factory equipment! They are ment to light the edge of the road and part of the ditch. If they were actual fogs lamps then why do they produce white light which we all know does nothing to penetrate fog! If you dont like people driving with them on then stay home. Sick and tired of people bitching beacuse the world is not perfect for them. If you feel that a truck approachin you with so called "fog" lights on is going to ruin your weekend then go become a cop or dot officer and enforce something.

So the owners manual for my 08 Duramax that calls these lights "fog lights" is wrong? Damn they're sure stupid huh!

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm underdog. I'm an azzhat. I drive with my AUXILIARY lights on and when someone flashes me, I flash them back with all my lights. High beam and AUXILIARY lights.

sent from a phone

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Please peeps keep the fog lights off unless they are needed(foggy conditions)..Driving my tractor old tractor so lights not the greatest on it and some retard coming up to me with fog lights on and you can't say they were aimed right cause they where right in my eyes...it was hard for me not to put the bucket right through his grill!

Last edited:

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
from road hazards and raises the beams allowing for a greater projection of light forward.[h=4][] Front fog lamps[/h]
A pair of yellow fog lamps

Front fog lamps provide a wide, bar-shaped beam of light with a sharp cutoff at the top, and are generally aimed and mounted low.[SUP][10][/SUP][SUP][11][/SUP][SUP][12][/SUP] They may be either white or . They are intended for use at low speed to increase the illumination directed towards the road surface and verges in conditions of poor visibility due to , , or . As such, they are often most effectively used in place of dipped-beam headlamps, reducing the glareback from fog or falling snow, although the legality varies by jurisdiction of using front fog lamps without low beam headlamps.
Use of the front fog lamps when visibility is not seriously reduced is often prohibited (for example in the ), as they can cause increased glare to other drivers, particularly in wet pavement conditions, as well as harming the driver's own vision due to excessive foreground illumination.[SUP][13][/SUP]
The respective purposes of front fog lamps and driving lamps are often confused, due in part to the misconception that fog lamps are necessarily , while any auxiliary lamp that makes light is a driving lamp. Automakers and aftermarket parts and accessories suppliers frequently refer interchangeably to "fog lamps" and "driving lamps" (or "fog/driving lamps"). In most countries, weather conditions rarely necessitate the use of fog lamps, and there is no legal requirement for them, so their primary purpose is frequently cosmetic. They are often available as optional extras or only on higher trim levels of many cars. Studies have shown that in North America more people inappropriately use their fog lamps in dry weather than use them properly in poor weather.[SUP][14]

They can be either colour so everyone is right lol....
[/SUP]

Last edited:

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why would I turn them off when there legal???? and yes it does have a loophole it's called being legal it's quite a nice loophole! like seriously guys its a dim foglight not some big blinding spotlight!!!! I agree some headlights like hid's are pretty wild when they are coming towards you but on an hid as long as the light is a 6000k or less or emits a white beam of light not a blue or purple beam of light it is 100% legal on your headlights.

So that makes it perfectly ok to blind other drivers coming towards you. Allrighty then!

Top Bottom