flat deck or??

Shovelking780

Reaction score
Getting rid of the box is a chore. I have sold two now and they both went to body shops. When I bought the present truck, the dealership had a body shop so it was a sweet deal. They took it off and I made up a light bar for the trip home. You could tie it down to your new deck and easily bring it back and with a few phone calls, find a body shop in need of a box.

How long was the waiting list? I'm starting to look at a 2014 and I will need another "deck". I will go down to Idaho this spring and get the process started with the design.
I can't remember the exact wait time I was talking with them back in late August of 2012. I thought it was somewhere around a few months original plan was to have it ready and head down at end of May early June this year. Who knows what the wait is now?

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A flat deck is a great way to go. I built an all aluminum deck for my Freightliner for hauling the toys. If I was hauling sleds, a couple rows of Superglides would be a must, but it stays parked for the winter. I chose to go without toolboxes because there's a ton of storage in the sleeper, under the rear lounge...everything stays nice and clean. A person has to be mindful of where he goes because it's only 2 wheel drive, but throw a set of chains on it, and it'll climb a tree. A sled deck on top of the factory box works good too, but it doesn't take long for the weight to start adding up. Plus it imposes more limitations as to what you can haul. I find the box on my dually to be a bit of an inconvenience...I don't think it'll be long before I pull it and build a deck for it too.

Attachments

• IMG_0121 (640x478).jpg
    IMG_0121 (640x478).jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_0723 (640x478).jpg
    IMG_0723 (640x478).jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 457
  • IMG_0725 (640x478).jpg
    IMG_0725 (640x478).jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 458
  • IMG_0700 (640x478).jpg
    IMG_0700 (640x478).jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 461

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FalCan makes excellent decks. We've had ONE deck on TWO of our work trucks (2001 and 2011 GMC 2500 reg cab box) and have only done a set of paint and all new lights to make it look pretty on the new truck. They build pretty well however you want, but you will pay quite a bit for them.

Aluminum or any light deck makes winter driving awful without a load.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
A flat deck is a great way to go. I built an all aluminum deck for my Freightliner for hauling the toys. If I was hauling sleds, a couple rows of Superglides would be a must, but it stays parked for the winter. I chose to go without toolboxes because there's a ton of storage in the sleeper, under the rear lounge...everything stays nice and clean. A person has to be mindful of where he goes because it's only 2 wheel drive, but throw a set of chains on it, and it'll climb a tree. A sled deck on top of the factory box works good too, but it doesn't take long for the weight to start adding up. Plus it imposes more limitations as to what you can haul. I find the box on my dually to be a bit of an inconvenience...I don't think it'll be long before I pull it and build a deck for it too.

That is a sweet unit! Nice job......:thumbsup2:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
FalCan makes excellent decks. We've had ONE deck on TWO of our work trucks (2001 and 2011 GMC 2500 reg cab box) and have only done a set of paint and all new lights to make it look pretty on the new truck. They build pretty well however you want, but you will pay quite a bit for them.

Aluminum or any light deck makes winter driving awful without a load.

I was over there the other day (Ft. MacLeod) and yes, they doo make great decks/trailers, etc.. A guy has to remember, you doo get what you pay for.

Arctic Fozzy, on here, is the plant manager. Get in touch with him and see for yourselves.

BTW, the S&M drying rack for the FSA cabin was made there. Pictures up today, I'm hoping!

Skadi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't remember the exact wait time I was talking with them back in late August of 2012. I thought it was somewhere around a few months original plan was to have it ready and head down at end of May early June this year. Who knows what the wait is now?

I know when I have placed my orders with Mike in the past I do it in the spring. Fall is a VERY busy time for him so if you can place an order in the spring your wait time would probably be much less... just a thought. i think my wait time was only a month or so but I got in JUST at the right time according to him and he only had one build stacked in front of mine! (plus the usual sled deck orders)

mick

Reaction score
A few mods on that deck and it would be real sweet: side rails to prevent an accidental fall yes, SuperClamp hooks yes, clearance lights has, trailer hitch has, beaver tail for a ramp maybe, a ramp and a place to store it hmmm, a stronger lip along the bottom of the back piece for the frozen snow berms has and maybe even have that considerably shorter for the trips into the bush.

Personally, I would want a marine grade plywood for the decking material; that nice polished aluminum would like like hell after I used it for a year with 70 days of winter riding and a season of construction work. I like the deck but it would be difficult to fit my varied uses.
That is actually a welding deck, George will build it to what I want, Marine aluminum should hold up well....It does on the boat

Very nice unit, boxes look good, don't know what purpose its built for welding, from my view as a sledder, I would like to see a few more options if I was building one like this (maybe this one wasnt finished yet and it might not be a sled deck either).
A small lip/groove around the outside of the deck would be nice, so that you could hook a ramp in at any point and drive off on any of the 3 sides yes.
A spot for a ramp under the deck yes me too.
A couple lights on the headache rack aimed at the deck.good
More visibility through the headache rack (minor detail). I would almost consider boxing in the lower half and using this area as the extra fuel storage tank (even if it was made a couple inches wider) and then building the upper part of the rack out of piping to give some more visibility. A 6" wide x 2' high x 8' long tank would be about 8 cubic feet and able to hold around 60 gallons.
Bumper hitch. truck has

That aluminum deck would be slippery with wet snowy boots, you'd wind up on your ass without some kind decking or traction material.Super glide stuff?

Probably still fairly light so would you be able to get away with this deck on a 3/4 ton and 2 sleds (assuming you built the slip tank into the headache rack...~ 450 lbs in fuel) or would you still need a 1 ton?
I have a dually

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
..............Probably still fairly light so would you be able to get away with this deck on a 3/4 ton and 2 sleds (assuming you built the slip tank into the headache rack...~ 450 lbs in fuel) or would you still need a 1 ton?

My 2500HD has a GVW of 9200# and most 3/4 tons are only 8800#. With 2 sleds (full of gas and oil), our gear (riding gear and apres riding clothes), truck full of gas, and the two of us (small peeps at 160 and 130#), we were about 300# under. That is with the aluminum flat deck and not including the box. A trip up Roger's Pass with slushy conditions and one could easily be over. My next truck will be a 1 ton single axle.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I was in Idaho and ordered my new flat deck on May 3rd. It has a few custom items like extra lights, tool boxes, special side rails, SuperGlides for 3 sleds (two when the sides are down and one in the middle when the sides are up), and 3 sets of SuperClamp hooks front and rear. Got an email from Mike yesterday and my flat deck is done.

That's only 3 weeks. Now to wait for a new 2014 GMC 3500HD STL 4x4 extended cab with an 8' chassis and a 6l gas motor.

If you are looking for a flat deck with a reasonable price point give Mike a call 208-623-6601. Spirit Lake, Idaho is an easy destination and a nice scenic drive!

Shovelking780

Reaction score
I was in Idaho and ordered my new flat deck on May 3rd. It has a few custom items like extra lights, tool boxes, special side rails, SuperGlides for 3 sleds (two when the sides are down and one in the middle when the sides are up), and 3 sets of SuperClamp hooks front and rear. Got an email from Mike yesterday and my flat deck is done.

That's only 3 weeks. Now to wait for a new 2014 GMC 3500HD STL 4x4 extended cab with an 8' chassis and a 6l gas motor.

If you are looking for a flat deck with a reasonable price point give Mike a call 208-623-6601. Spirit Lake, Idaho is an easy destination and a nice scenic drive!
Wow that was quick, sounds awesome. Do you happen to have any pictures? Would you care to share the cost of the deck?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Wow that was quick, sounds awesome. Do you happen to have any pictures? Would you care to share the cost of the deck?

This one isn't exactly like mine but close. I haven't seen mine yet and probably won't for a few months. I haven't got a truck to put it on yet as the 2014 GMC's aren't ready. Base price is $3800. I have extra SuperGlides for 3 sleds (for two sleds when the extensions are down and one sled in the middle when the extensions are up, extra Super Clamp hooks, extra lights, two tool boxes, and an extra lip on the side rail. A great guy to deal with BTW.

Flatbed_new11.jpg

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like a real nice setup. Years ago I almost bought your old Silverado with the old custom deck...my wife didn’t want me buying a different truck and I let her sway my decision. Still have the old photos

Attachments

• DSC00007 Standard e-mail view.jpg
    DSC00007 Standard e-mail view.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 415

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Looks like a real nice setup. Years ago I almost bought your old Silverado with the old custom deck...my wife didn’t want me buying a different truck and I let her sway my decision. Still have the old photos

And that truck is still just a ticking. I still see it around Fernie area and talk to Derek on occasion. He loves it. My 2008 GMC 2500HD with virtually the same deck and a built-in ramp will be for sale this summer. Only 120,000 km on it. If you know anyone who would be interested you can let them know.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This one isn't exactly like mine but close. I haven't seen mine yet and probably won't for a few months. I haven't got a truck to put it on yet as the 2014 GMC's aren't ready. Base price is $3800. I have extra SuperGlides for 3 sleds (for two sleds when the extensions are down and one sled in the middle when the extensions are up, extra Super Clamp hooks, extra lights, two tool boxes, and an extra lip on the side rail. A great guy to deal with BTW.

View attachment 156175

Did ya get your new rig yet? lets see some pics.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Did ya get your new rig yet? lets see some pics.

I have the truck. Down to Idaho on the 25th of August to get the deck installed. I have sold the box, tailgate, and bumper off the new truck to a body shop in Kalispell.

Not a lot of inquiries on the 2008 GMC Sierra........still a little high in price maybe!

How's your new ride working out?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Silver Lake Manufacturing out of Spirit Lake, Idaho..............

IMG_2649.jpg IMG_2650.jpg

Mike is a great guy to deal with. He makes decks and flat decks. His work is great! Drove down on a Friday and had the box, tailgate, and bumper taken off in Kapispell. Over to Sand Point for the Friday night. Early install Saturday morning while we spent the day in Courd' A'lene. 8 hours later it was done. Spent the 2nd night in Sand Point for an easy drive back home on the Sunday. All lights, tool boxes, and back-up camera installed.

A little wrap applied in Lethbridge tomorrow and then some more pictures..........:D

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
What do the border crossing guys have to say when you come back across

I phoned before I went down and because it is attached to the truck (no wheels), there is no problem. I got lucky and the nice person at the border didn't ask if I had anything done to my vehicle. We declared our personal shopping at a little over $200 and it was, "have a nice day sir!"

I still can't believe I got off that lucky..........my lucky day!

Top Bottom