flat deck or??

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like a little over kill there,,, Whats the gas bill like?lol
It may surprise you but a Tandem like that with the proper gear and the lack of a load can get pretty good fuel economy on the highway. I have a light duty rig that when bobtailing can get in the range of 17 mpg.

Skadi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HAHAHHAA, freaking hilarious that that pic of the 509 rig surfaced RIGHT when this thread was going! There is a local event this weekend... Story goes that the guys at the shop were bored, had a deck sitting there, had the semi sitting there and though, hecky, why not??!! hahahhaha! I can't IMAGINE taking that to a snow park though!

mick

Reaction score
IMG_0164 (2).jpg IMG_0170 (2).jpg

this the is one I looked at, 8 x 9. Still need to add a few things

mick

Reaction score
That's pretty sharp looking too, I like the idea of the weather stripping around the tool boxes. But...... You need a place for a ramp, and I would highly recommend going to a marine grade plywood deck.

Not a fan of plywood decks, the super glide stuff on top is the plan and need to figure the ramp stuff out, fifth wheel hitch, and aux fuel tank

mick

Reaction score
Nice deck. Who builds these decks and who sells them? Why don't you build a sub deck on top and have a opening to slide a ramp in.

Precision Cutting Systems just between Okotoks and High River has them 403 826 6707

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
A few mods on that deck and it would be real sweet: side rails to prevent an accidental fall, SuperClamp hooks, clearance lights, trailer hitch, beaver tail for a ramp, a ramp and a place to store it, a stronger lip along the bottom of the back piece for the frozen snow berms and maybe even have that considerably shorter for the trips into the bush.

Personally, I would want a marine grade plywood for the decking material; that nice polished aluminum would like like hell after I used it for a year with 70 days of winter riding and a season of construction work. I like the deck but it would be difficult to fit my varied uses.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very nice unit, boxes look good, don't know what purpose its built for, from my view as a sledder, I would like to see a few more options if I was building one like this (maybe this one wasnt finished yet and it might not be a sled deck either).
A small lip/groove around the outside of the deck would be nice, so that you could hook a ramp in at any point and drive off on any of the 3 sides.
A spot for a ramp under the deck.
A couple lights on the headache rack aimed at the deck.
More visibility through the headache rack (minor detail). I would almost consider boxing in the lower half and using this area as the extra fuel storage tank (even if it was made a couple inches wider) and then building the upper part of the rack out of piping to give some more visibility. A 6" wide x 2' high x 8' long tank would be about 8 cubic feet and able to hold around 60 gallons.
Bumper hitch.

That aluminum deck would be slippery with wet snowy boots, you'd wind up on your ass without some kind decking or traction material.

Probably still fairly light so would you be able to get away with this deck on a 3/4 ton and 2 sleds (assuming you built the slip tank into the headache rack...~ 450 lbs in fuel) or would you still need a 1 ton?

Skadi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd post these here since the link to my other thread didn't actually show pics. SUPER sweet flatbed for a GREAT price. Pretty tough to find all alum flat beds built like this for the price. Plus he has it all figured out to do a cutom one for long box, shot box, powder-coated like mine is, dually, 5th wheel... You name it... And they're built for farmers AND/OR off road vehicle people!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd post these here since the link to my other thread didn't actually show pics. SUPER sweet flatbed for a GREAT price. Pretty tough to find all alum flat beds built like this for the price. Plus he has it all figured out to do a cutom one for long box, shot box, powder-coated like mine is, dually, 5th wheel... You name it... And they're built for farmers AND/OR off road vehicle people!

[URL]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c58/emoreshead/cover_9.jpg[/URL]

[URL]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c58/emoreshead/IMG_2753.jpg[/URL]

[URL]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c58/emoreshead/417402_440821645949051_1407946588_n_zps6ec1e23a.jpg[/URL]

Do they all come standard with 2" camoplast mudflaps? LOL :D

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
NICE!

Biggest issue I have is that I need to go long wheelbase and a 10ft deck, so I can still pull enclosed trailer, otherwise sleds hang too far off back with 8' deck. I've also thought about butchering & rebuilding the hitch on my trailer so it's longer, but can't bring myself to cut it apart.

Skadi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hehehe, no... that was a custom add on I was able to do cause my buddy ripped a track shortly before I got this built! not that often that you have a nice looking track like that kicking around that you can just hack up!

Shovelking780

Reaction score

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c58/emoreshead/cover_9.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c58/emoreshead/IMG_2753.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c58/emoreshead/417402_440821645949051_1407946588_n_zps6ec1e23a.jpg
Awesome deck was looking at getting one talked to them about a 9'6" black powder coat, fuel tank pretty much a full load was going to be about $7000 then I would have to drive down and pick it up and have it installed. For me it would about a 12 hour drive cross border couple nights in hotel or possible bring holiday trailer down make trip of it. Then what do I do with the box from my truck would be lucky if I could sell it down there. They said they never shipped one and install was kind of technical. And then there is a waiting list because they are pretty much custom made. It's too bad that deck is exactly what I want.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Awesome deck was looking at getting one talked to them about a 9'6" black powder coat, fuel tank pretty much a full load was going to be about $7000 then I would have to drive down and pick it up and have it installed. For me it would about a 12 hour drive cross border couple nights in hotel or possible bring holiday trailer down make trip of it. Then what do I do with the box from my truck would be lucky if I could sell it down there. They said they never shipped one and install was kind of technical. And then there is a waiting list because they are pretty much custom made. It's too bad that deck is exactly what I want.

Getting rid of the box is a chore. I have sold two now and they both went to body shops. When I bought the present truck, the dealership had a body shop so it was a sweet deal. They took it off and I made up a light bar for the trip home. You could tie it down to your new deck and easily bring it back and with a few phone calls, find a body shop in need of a box.

How long was the waiting list? I'm starting to look at a 2014 and I will need another "deck". I will go down to Idaho this spring and get the process started with the design.

Skadi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think for my next truck I will actually keep the box to put back on it when I want to sell the truck. flat bed holds more value sold separately than with truck (and/or put it on new truck). I actually sold my bed really quickly down here... ust put it on craigslist. I want to say Mike told me he had a body shop that would take them too -not a KILLER deal but a little bit of cash.

Fernie, you come down and I'll come up and meet ya at Mike's shop and say hello! it's been a while for sure!!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Fernie, you come down and I'll come up and meet ya at Mike's shop and say hello! it's been a while for sure!!

I'm coming down this spring or early summer. I will send a PM. Ya', it was Revy for a DooTalk ride in 2009.

I have found living in a sled area that there is no trouble selling a used truck with a flat deck. If you can get money for the box, just doo it. Remember, I had trouble with the electrics so the GM dealer couldn't take the bumper and that has made my present deck more functional with a hitch, back-up sensors, and an easy rear step to the deck surface.

Top Bottom