Flat bed sled hauler ideas

broncit

Reaction score
So I bought a 1996 cummins flatbed this spring and looking for some ideas to make it a sled hauler. I have super clamps and will proabely get superglides. I want to build a custom ramp but don't know where to store it. There is a little room under the deck but not much. I also can't decide if I want to build a roof rack/box for gear storage of just build tool boxes for under the deck.

Last edited:

broncit

Reaction score
3a38e7ee4bb0a751c34258d606dca097.jpg
9f44c709bcd2774aa32a57b523401a5a.jpg
d8d82f27f99b2e27ad088c0170ec2727.jpg
3a5ebf70bce7e4a55f313d5817f42325.jpg
2a47c08ca0067e07db5a4bd51141b333.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just add a layer to the deck. Ramp will go on the current deck and the sleds go on the next layer

broncit

Reaction score
Also is there anything else I could use as decking besides wood? Was thinking checker plate but I would think that would get really slippery

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Also is there anything else I could use as decking besides wood? Was thinking checker plate but I would think that would get really slippery
DIY bed liner fixes that problem. Will match the black deck. Don't bother with the traction tape, it ices up terribly and offers no traction.

broncit

Reaction score
DIY bed liner fixes that problem. Will match the black deck. Don't bother with the traction tape, it ices up terribly and offers no traction.
yeah i was thinking about that. The rest of the deck is painted in Bedliner too

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
yeah i was thinking about that. The rest of the deck is painted in Bedliner too
Well there ya go, bed liner it is, if you havent seen these ramps before, i would be interested in trying one if i never had a sled deck, revarc snowmobile ramp, has a guide that goes for the track so you get traction even on ice.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well there ya go, bed liner it is, if you havent seen these ramps before, i would be interested in trying one if i never had a sled deck, revarc snowmobile ramp, has a guide that goes for the track so you get traction even on ice.

Chinese arithmetic device

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
This deck (all aluminum) is sitting on 6" channel attached to the frame and there is enough room for the ramp underneath. I got tired of polishing the aluminum and had it done in LineX. Two winters now and still looking great. SuperGlides on deck and ramp, as well as, hooks for SuperClamps. If you go tool boxes underneath, don't skimp on doors as you need a good seal to keep out the water. I can supply more pictures if you would require them.

IMG_2649.jpg IMG_2650.jpg

IMG_3579.jpg

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

I've seen those in some staging areas and wasn't impressed as the track was still spinning on the bars. Momentum is your friend when trying to get up the ramp in icy conditions.

broncit

Reaction score
This deck (all aluminum) is sitting on 6" channel attached to the frame and there is enough room for the ramp underneath. I got tired of polishing the aluminum and had it done in LineX. Two winters now and still looking great. SuperGlides on deck and ramp, as well as, hooks for SuperClamps. If you go tool boxes underneath, don't skimp on doors as you need a good seal to keep out the water. I can supply more pictures if you would require them.

View attachment 196952 View attachment 196953

View attachment 196954
yeah if I would have built the deck my self I would have done the same thing for ramp storage. Line x is great stuff but expensive. How much did it cost to spray your deck?

broncit

Reaction score
Seems like a good idea but like fernie said just a bit of momentum and your up no problem in most conditions

Popik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Will be watching this thread closely. Just picked up a long box extended cab GMC that the box will come off of to build a sled hauler unit

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Will be watching this thread closely. Just picked up a long box extended cab GMC that the box will come off of to build a sled hauler unit

Here is a link for some pictures and ideas: Flat Beds - SilverLake Manufacturing

If I doo it again, I will see if the deck can be extended a little longer (maybe to 9-10 feet) due to the longer sleds.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you look at fernie snows deck the storage compartments make the deck look more finished,also like the way he has his doors,we have some on company trucks and the ones were they hinge on bottom are terrible for if the latch dosent catch properly they open while driving and make truck very wide and can cause massive damage if hit something,usually will happens when closed and something is caught by latch. also recomend storage box for receiver storage,straps,super clamps etc

broncit

Reaction score
Well don't know how I haven't thought about this before but there is room under the deck right at the back above the receiver for a box that is 32" wide, 9" tall and 11" deep. If I got one built for here, which way should I have the door swing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom