Fixing a flat on the trail

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When we were out yesterday we had the unfortunate opportunity to test our MacGyver skills on a flat tire. A small cut from a rock on the side wall was letting air out as fast as our little compressor could put it in.
We are avid outdoorsman and always come prepared, but spare tires on quads is just something you don't always have on hand.
Our solution was a good cleaning of the side wall, then with a small screwdriver we pushed a plug made of electrical tape into the hole. Several layers of tape on top and we took off. This held all the way back, about 4 miles.
Although very proud of his repair he's unwilling to test it any further, even with all my encouragement :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Now we are adding patch kits to our bikes....will it ever stop?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One time we had a huge gash in our rhino tire and plugged it with a 1inch thick stick, siliconed the sh#t out of it
and it made it back,,, had to stop every few miles and put more air in tho.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When we were out yesterday we had the unfortunate opportunity to test our MacGyver skills on a flat tire. A small cut from a rock on the side wall was letting air out as fast as our little compressor could put it in.
We are avid outdoorsman and always come prepared, but spare tires on quads is just something you don't always have on hand.
Our solution was a good cleaning of the side wall, then with a small screwdriver we pushed a plug made of electrical tape into the hole. Several layers of tape on top and we took off. This held all the way back, about 4 miles.
Although very proud of his repair he's unwilling to test it any further, even with all my encouragement :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Now we are adding patch kits to our bikes....will it ever stop?

Ive had side walls with 30 plus tire plugs in them. Carry the glue with you also and they can work for the weekend. Also if you break a bead, Off brand bug spray works awesome to set it again. Spray Inside the tire 3 times around then hit a lighter to it. Boom. Tire on. Other types of bug spray wont work. It's not to flammable as to hurt the tire. Just make sure you have sunglasses on the keep the shmag out of your eyes when it blows back on. Also tire slime works good. These are all must have for rocky terrain.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Ive had side walls with 30 plus tire plugs in them. Carry the glue with you also and they can work for the weekend. Also if you break a bead, Off brand bug spray works awesome to set it again. Spray Inside the tire 3 times around then hit a lighter to it. Boom. Tire on. Other types of bug spray wont work. It's not to flammable as to hurt the tire. Just make sure you have sunglasses on the keep the shmag out of your eyes when it blows back on. Also tire slime works good. These are all must have for rocky terrain.

off bug spray sounds slightly safer than ether, this is a great tip!

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
have had good luck using ratchet strap for setting the bead on tire

I've used the ratchet strap method as well to a degree of success. Big lugged heavy sidewall tires tend to fight you till the bitter end. The bug spray trick is by far the quickest and easiest way.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have had good luck using ratchet strap for setting the bead on tire

Ratchet strap works sorta ok if your tire is clean. With the Off spray I have set beads while the tire is full of mud and water. Literally 5 mins total and your riding away. I have watched others with straps and pumps struggle for ever. Then I walk over with off and boom. Away you go. This is the best trail side method I've seen. And I've tried oven cleaner. Hair spray off various brands. Wd40. Off is the ****. One can will do up to 4 tires.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
James, the stock tires you have on your quads are very thin walled, once you upgrade you will find that you will have very few punctures. Also make sure you have less than 5 psi in the tires, too many people over inflate their tires. Mudlites are probably a good choice for you. Of course I am not buying new tires for 2 machines though. You missed a great trip out at Brazeau ( not to rub it in or anything).:rolleyes:

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
James, the stock tires you have on your quads are very thin walled, once you upgrade you will find that you will have very few punctures. Also make sure you have less than 5 psi in the tires, too many people over inflate their tires. Mudlites are probably a good choice for you. Of course I am not buying new tires for 2 machines though. You missed a great trip out at Brazeau ( not to rub it in or anything).:rolleyes:

I somewhat agree-stock tires are usually junk.
I disagree mudlites are a good tire. I know ALOT of people - more that have than haven't - that have had issues with mudlites not seating properly on the rim. For awhile most times dealers and tire shops were ordering an extra tire for every set they sold because there was almost bound to be one bad one. Personally, I will never run an ITP tire.
My choice would be a mudbug if you don't want an agressive deep lug or a Zilla.
4-5psi is also a good pressure on an atv tire, but on a SxS guys will find they will have less sidewall bead popping off issues if they run closer to 10.
This is all I might add from personal experience with many years and agressive miles of riding with lots of different machines. Take it as you will.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We always carry the tire plug kits with contact cement most times you can repair a cut tire no problem and they are cheap like 5 bucks at cambodian tire or princess auto

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I somewhat agree-stock tires are usually junk.
I disagree mudlites are a good tire. I know ALOT of people - more that have than haven't - that have had issues with mudlites not seating properly on the rim. For awhile most times dealers and tire shops were ordering an extra tire for every set they sold because there was almost bound to be one bad one. Personally, I will never run an ITP tire.
My choice would be a mudbug if you don't want an agressive deep lug or a Zilla.
4-5psi is also a good pressure on an atv tire, but on a SxS guys will find they will have less sidewall bead popping off issues if they run closer to 10.
This is all I might add from personal experience with many years and agressive miles of riding with lots of different machines. Take it as you will.
I am only suggesting the mudlite as a better tire than the atc carliles. I run mudbugs myself, I know a few quadders who have never had an issue with the tire. The zilla's are a good tire but a little pricey. The SxS are a fairly heavy machine and its center of gravity sits a little differently so it doesn't surprise me that you need more air.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run 30 inch mud lights. Got them cheap and run them.

Haven't had a flat on trail or side walls poping off.

Have seen Dave zillas with crap hanging outa the beads.

I also ran a tire shop and 90% of the ones fixed where mudlights or xtr's.

So they are not all bad.

So have issues. So not.

sent from my HTC

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

So they are not all bad.

So have issues. So not.

sent from my HTC

hmmm i seem to remember differently, tex.

seem to remember dallas and i trying to get yer tire on the ol kowabunga, hehe

and pecos finally getting it on.

i have had mudlights seemed to run fine, and ran a set of xtrs for 2yrs and no problems, and would recommend them to anyone, was a great allround trail tire.

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes it was and we'll not hold it against ya, was an interesting fix, took a lot of effort to get it to seal.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

So they are not all bad.

So have issues. So not.

sent from my HTC

Turn your spellcheck on. Iphone hasn't got an app for hillbilly talk yet.
LOL!!
Dave has crap hangin out the beads cuz he rides harder than you.

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Turn your spellcheck on. Iphone hasn't got an app for hillbilly talk yet.
LOL!!
Dave has crap hangin out the beads cuz he rides harder than you.

And that's why we didn't buy used machine's!

Kelly you'll have to post some pics of Brazeau for us, sounds like a great place

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When the fire stops there, you guys will love it. Chain up your quads at night due to the local infestation of lowlifes. Lots of family friendly trails and plenty of ponds to wet yourselves down. You missed a great weekend, did you get out to two hills? I heard that the missus had to work , too bad.

Top Bottom