first time to the mountains

xm2014

Reaction score
Hi there, just getting into the sport my son got his first sled last year and
we started riding and I was amazed at how quickly he got on - so we are thinking of heading up to the mountains this year, not sure blueriver or valemount, I have heard a lot of different stories about the snow, avalanches and conditions can anyone out there tell me the best, safest, and someplace where we can get a good start a have fun for the first time. thanks

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi there, just getting into the sport my son got his first sled last year and
we started riding and I was amazed at how quickly he got on - so we are thinking of heading up to the mountains this year, not sure blueriver or valemount, I have heard a lot of different stories about the snow, avalanches and conditions can anyone out there tell me the best, safest, and someplace where we can get a good start a have fun for the first time. thanks

allen creek in valemount...sticking around the cabin should be a good place to start. Or quartz creek in golden again ride just pass the cabin. check Welcome to avalanche.ca for avy conditions. ride with a shovel probe and beacon. quartz has a area where you can practice hunting for beacons.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bell Mountain in McBride. Damn near zero risk on that hill.

This rock hard snow conditions make ot real easy for newbies to get anywheres.

We just came back from McBride and had a few virgins with us. They enjoyed it.

xm2014

Reaction score
15 but rides like he's been on one for years, he rides dirt bikes and quads during the summer since he was 6 I rode years ago and don't have near the balance I used to have we have been riding trails and really want to give the mountains a try. he rides a 600 summit sp with a 146 track I ride a 800 156track

xm2014

Reaction score
thanks, we can ride although we have never been to the mountains and are looking for a place to start, hills to climb and some deep snow with no avalanche's to worry about

xm2014

Reaction score
ok - new at this so might take a couple of times before I get this figured out

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think your best bet if it's blue or vale is clemina, Allen is ok around the cabin but is limited and likely pounded if you don't get recent snow. All three riding areas in mcbride are ok for beginners but bell would be a good place to start.Just be sure to let someone know where your going when you leave,even if it's the front desk at the hotel,check the avy risk reports and don't be afraid to ask others lots of questions if you don't have someone with you who know the area.You could also hire a guide for your first time and be equipped with all your safety gear.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks, we can ride although we have never been to the mountains and are looking for a place to start, hills to climb and some deep snow with no avalanche's to worry about

If you've never been to the mountains before, I suggest you hook up with someone who has been. RXN's comment "Bell Mountain in McBride. Damn near zero risk on that hill." is a bit misleading. Under the right conditions there is always risk of avalanche no matter which area you ride in. Make sure that you have the proper gear, beacons, probes and shovels, and get familiar with knowing how to use them. I used to think That Bell mountain at Mcbride was the best place to break in cherries but have since change my opinion on that. I would recommend the Renshaw in Mcbride. There is plenty of safe area's near the cabin at the Renshaw. That being said it is still advisable to go with someone who has been there before. Like Catmando mentioned let someone know where you are riding and check the avalanche conditions with the CAC before you go.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Better yet.............Take me with you!
The long ride in for the first trip I think may be a deterant (Renshaw)
JM2$

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Better yet.............Take me with you!
The long ride in for the first trip I think may be a deterant (Renshaw)
JM2$

It is quite the jaunt. But if it turns out the hills aren't their thing then, at least they get a trail ride out of it. Scenic as well with a lot of photo ops.

xm2014

Reaction score
thanks - actually a friend of mine had mentioned clemina too .. I figured he was a good rider and wasn't sure if it was going to be okay for us, I don't really know what to expect, I don't think we are going to be crazy I just don't want to ruin it for us I'd rather play somewhere safe and live to come back another day rather than end up under 10 feet of snow I 'm just looking to you guys to lead me to a good spot and kinda point out some of the hazards to watch out for I appreciate everyone's help

xm2014

Reaction score
thanks - this guide your talking about - where would I call to get one? vlemount, blueriver?

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks - actually a friend of mine had mentioned clemina too .. I figured he was a good rider and wasn't sure if it was going to be okay for us, I don't really know what to expect, I don't think we are going to be crazy I just don't want to ruin it for us I'd rather play somewhere safe and live to come back another day rather than end up under 10 feet of snow I 'm just looking to you guys to lead me to a good spot and kinda point out some of the hazards to watch out for I appreciate everyone's help

Go into it with an open mind. Not every trip to the hills guarantees great conditions. Some days they snow may be pounded out because of lack of snow and many sleds in ahead of you. Some days the snow conditions are great but the visibility sucks because it is snowing so hard. If you happen to get a blue bird day after a dump of fresh you will be in for the time of your life. One other warning.It get's to be addictive.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
thanks - this guide your talking about - where would I call to get one? vlemount, blueriver?
Well you could talk to Rod Whelpton or Steve Eybon in mcbride or I would talk to Curtis Pawluik in Valemount (varda) he will set you up with someone if he dosnt have the time to help you out and I have a guy in Blue but as a newer rider to the mountains I would put blue on the back burner for now.

xm2014

Reaction score
thanks, I'm hoping that the snow is decent,I don't have any illusion's that the snow wont be chewed up with all the people going out there now, but we like riding in the bush so hopefully there will be some powder left there

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Don't forget about me, I ride for beer.........of course once your off the hill and in one of the finer establishments surrounding our Awsome mountain riding locations. LMAO! Do not Drink and drive applies in the alpine!

xm2014

Reaction score
great, I'm thinking about vale for our first trip i will try and reach Curtis and see if he can give us a few pointers

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
great, I'm thinking about vale for our first trip i will try and reach Curtis and see if he can give us a few pointers
Wouldn't surprise me at all if he showed you around himself,he is a super nice guy and promotes the sport as well as anyone I know! Good Luck!

Top Bottom