First time puchase...rhino

sicamoose

Reaction score
The time has finally come, after months of tossing arouind the idea, I have begun the search for a side by side. After much thought and research, I have decided to look into a Rhino. What I will be using it for:

* Camping
* Snow plowing (my properties around town (hauling with trailer)
* General use presumably while out camping with friends, family etc. - not crazy speed demon prob just cruisin' around exploring with a couple cold ones

What I am looking for in a rhino (in a perfect world - within budget):

* I am not too fussy on looks
* decent, low KM's (prefer below 2000 KM)
* Snowplow (with warn winch)
* seat in rear with the extended roll cage

Obviously anything above and beyond that is a bonus IMO

I did have some questions.

First, judging from the above, do you think the Rhino is a good choice? I looked into the rzr but thought the Rhino better for my needs - more utilitarian, less sporty etc.

Second, wondering what options are for towing my travel trailer with the rhino in the back of my truck. I do have airbags, one tonne truck, long box (i do have a drybox presume this will have to be removed every time I take trailer - not big deal takes 20 mins or so but pain in the ass). Have any you guys had any luck doing this?

Originally my budget was 7 - 9. There are some used ones out there bare bones stock in that range but i figure once you add plow, cage, seat, etc etc etc you are getting up there. I am going to look at this one tomorrow I hope:

2009 yamaha rhino camo 700 efi side by side with plow - Kelowna ATV For Sale - Kijiji Kelowna Canada.

It is kinda way above my budget but i am the kinda guy I would rather spend the extra couple grand and have everything I would want right off the bat. You think price on that unit is fair? Anything to look for?

I guess this is slightly a wanted UTV ad as well.......

I would greatly appreciate any feedback, comments or help regarding this post as am 98% green in the UTV world...

thanks for the help. I am pretty stoked to get into one of these.

Albertan

Reaction score
I think the Rhino is still a great UTV, and is an excellent choice for what you want to do. It will do everything you are looking to do easily. The utilitarian style of the Rhino will certainly suit you better than the RZR when it comes to things like hauling firewood out camping, etc. And there are more aftermarket parts for the Rhino than any other UTV, should you enjoy the hobby and wish to modify your ride.

Still, to be honest, I would not buy another Rhino today with the other offerings in the market. You don't need a 90hp rocket for the type of riding we do around here (despite what the duner-driven market would have you believe). Still, the Rhino is underpowered for what you pay, and is hard to get to a performance level comparable to other UTVs without spending substantial money and compromising the legendary Yamaha reliability (yes, I stand by that statement).

Based on what you are looking for, I would recommend one of two things. Since you're up around $15K anyways, consider springing for a Can Am Commander. It's stretching your budget still further, but it's the hot ticket for that style of UTV. Better yet, look for a used Teryx IMO. You should be able to find a good deal similar to a Rhino, and they are very similar vehicles. The advantage of the Teryx lies in its motor, which is much easier to mod to increase the power later if you want. Some say the Teryx is not as reliable as the Rhino, but I don't buy that. They all hold up if taken care of IMO. Again, I'd be buying a used Teryx if I were you...most bang for the buck in the UTV market.

Can't help you with the towing issue. B.C. has some unique laws with that as I recall. Good luck with your search. You're in for a fun SUmmer no matter what you decide on. :beer:

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Like my Rhino would also look at the Arctic Cat Prowler. Good comparable machine.

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the identacle machine that is posted for sale.They are great all around machines and running in the mountains of BC the power thing does not come in to play as much as you can only go so fast thru the bush.The biggest issue with that rhino is the stock shocks are absolute garbage.They bottom out and ride like crap.I upgraded to bilsteins but you can get a cheaper shock for around $600 for all 4.I can drive almost twice as fast thru the rough with my aftermarket shocks with no bottoming .Theres some good stuff on the rhino as in the warn XT40 winch and the XTR tires work awsome around here,all expensive upgrades.I would bring up the shock issue and use it for pricing

sicamoose

Reaction score
First off, thank you guys for the helpful tips, advice, and suggestions.

I went to look at that 09' Rhino this evening (photos attached). Looks like in good shape, brand new 72" plow, bench seat in rear, rear gas rack, brand new winch, canvas top, half windshield, brand new tires/rims, 1300 KM, camo, clutch kit, etc etc etc (link for ad is above). He is asking $14,900 i got him down to $13,500.00. Think this is a good deal? I have been doing the research and seems more or less he has $6000 in accessories put into the unit.

I am still considering the Teryx too. What a really nice machine! I sat in one this morning at the local dealer. He is willing to blow one out an '09 for $14,000.00. But then the tax etc and $$$$$.

Still haven't figured out the travel trailer issue, but am sure will have to take out dry box every time which will be a pain in the ass but no way around it i guess.

And WOW, if I had the money, the commander all the way. I think dealer quoted me close to $19 G out the door for an 800 xt.

thanks again and keep the advice coming!! I told the guy with the rhino i would think about it.....

Attachments

• iphone 034.jpg
    iphone 034.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 241
  • iphone 040.jpg
    iphone 040.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 234
  • iphone 039.jpg
    iphone 039.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 237
  • iphone 037.jpg
    iphone 037.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 237
  • iphone 042.jpg
    iphone 042.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 238

sicamoose

Reaction score
still wondering if any of you guys can provide some feedback regarding the price of this machine ($13,500.00).Owner informed me of the clutch kit today being a:

thanks for your help in advance. booking the rhino into Yamaha next week to get inspected - hopefully get some more $$$ off the price!

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the low K,s and all the accesories I think the price is fair.If you do buy it at least upgrade the stock shocks to either the stock resi or the progressives,its going to cost you at least 500-600.Might want to put a real roof on it as well.I have close to 20K into my rhino and its not a whole lot differant.I forgot to mention if it has an aftermarket machine sheave as this cheap upgrade comes at no loss in low end but gives you 8-10MPH more top speed.It will cost you approx $400 for a sheave and labour ,its a must have giving you a top speed of about 49MPH.Kelowna Yamaha can do the sheave as I had mine done before I even picked it up

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out the teryx on kiji for 14000.00 lots of good stuff on it and will have some power as well. unlike the rhino.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[2009 yamaha rhino camo 700 efi side by side with plow - Kelowna ATV For Sale - Kijiji Kelowna Canada.

I THINK THIS IS A GOOD DEAL

"It is kinda way above my budget but i am the kinda guy I would rather spend the extra couple grand and have everything I would want right off the bat. You think price on that unit is fair?" YES

"I guess this is slightly a wanted UTV ad as well".......

It looks to me like you have found a well equipped unit for a good price, it is also imo better to spend a bit more than a really good deal that costs u more in the long run....

Terry

Top Bottom