first mountain trip= big learning curve

tnttrev

Reaction score
thats what i thought when i rode his skidoo for 200 feet, i could lean it over like a dirt bike
I rode a 2010 pump gas Nytro 153 the other weekend, and I've never been so exhausted riding a snowmobile within a 5 minute time frame in my life lol. I don't know how guys ride them all day when they could easily ride something much less fatiguing haha. Each to their own though :beer:

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode a 2010 pump gas Nytro 153 the other weekend, and I've never been so exhausted riding a snowmobile within a 5 minute time frame in my life lol. I don't know how guys ride them all day when they could easily ride something much less fatiguing haha. Each to their own though :beer:

Try not to "over power" the sled with your body, but use the throttle and counter steer. Also, you need to learn where to stand on the running boards to make your weight help you throw the sled around.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son who is 14 now could ride my sled when he was 11. I also have a buddy whos son is 12 now and he rides a 2007 attak with a 156" track. Its all a learning curve and once you learn the sled, you'll want boost :)

tnttrev

Reaction score
I wondered if the stock 2" track is not enough for that much snow? it seemed to have all kinds of power and track speed

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The stock track is a POS. It does work and gets you where you want to go. I wouldn't worry about changing it until you decide if you like the sled or not.

modmanmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they arent that hard to ride once you figure out where to put your weight on the machine. and the tthrottle is your best friend on a four stroker. throttle control is important tho. you dont need to hold it to the bars all the time. i hated mine for the first trip then i learned how to ride it. i love the big bitch! especially since i went and modded the hell out of it!

also maybe your suspension isnt set up proper for the mountains. soften up the front shocks a bunch and its alot easier to pull over.

Reactions: zal

white ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have ridden a cpl of apexes and a nitro, at first it was like pushing around a shopping cart. but once I realized not too fight it and to loosen up on it I was able to have some fun.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there is a much different technique riding a nytro. I was trying to ride it like my own which is possible, but like I said, I was dead tired haha.
Either way, being out in the mountains on anything is 1000 times better than being indoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AprilO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Use your body as leverage to put it on it's side, and only arms to hold yourself on. Yea your arms will kill if your trying to pull your sled over. Coming from a skidoo 1000 which is not a light sled, had zero issues tipping it over. Move your weight around and the sled will go whereever you want it to with very little effort.

If you have weight I weigh 125 :(

2007 Summit Rev 800
2006 Suzuki Vinson 500
2004 GMC Sierra 1500

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try not to "over power" the sled with your body, but use the throttle and counter steer. Also, you need to learn where to stand on the running boards to make your weight help you throw the sled around.

Agreed, were you stand on the running boards plays a big role. Wrong foot forward so you can hang a leg out of you need to. Farther back on the running board= less front end weight. Farther forward= more front weight. I am usually middle of the running boards then a bit forward, bit farther back if I plan on slowly sidehilling towards the top of the hill not just across.

Sent from my mobile telephone

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

2007 Summit Rev 800
2006 Suzuki Vinson 500
2004 GMC Sierra 1500

I weigh 25 pounds more. Where you stand on the sled, throttle control, and counter steering really helps when your a lighter rider.

Sent from my mobile telephone

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So this is how it went. bought a used apex 162 (tired of fixing 2 strokes). took it to mcbride along with my son on my old 800 mountain cat. son did great, cat ran great, arms fell off from trying to side hill apex!! apex for sale!! end of story
I have a 07 apex and I had the same problem when I first got my sled. U need to have a little more time on the sled because it's like every new sled u try it takes time to learn how it handles. First thing u need to do is take of the stableliser arms off it makes a big differance on how it will side hill thats a cheap fix. I then put on a 8" riser and this made a big differance because u have a little more leverage on the handle bars and i'm about 6' tall I don't have to bend over anymore. The thing with a apex u need to ride with both of your feet on one side and this will help alot wear as with alot of other sleds u don't have to do that as much.My son rides a m8 and with his sled u don't have to do it as much but if u are on a steep hill u still need to run both of your feet on one side. The one thing about a apex is lacking power for the weight of the sled so this year I supercharged my apex and this realy woke the sled up. The other thing I found is the stock track sucks so next year I will be putting a camoplst extreme track on. The other sugestion the other guy said about reversing the skis is right but this is a practice thing and also on hill climbs u will find that u need to turn out a little sooner because yes they are heavy to dig out thats also a trick u must learn. If u do it right it's not that hard to get out and the best thing I learn't is to jump off but hit the throttle just before u do and it won't be that hard to get out. The worst thing u can do is to trench the sled in because u have better have a good back but this is the same with any sled. Good luck

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

2007 Summit Rev 800
2006 Suzuki Vinson 500
2004 GMC Sierra 1500

Same. And spread it over 5'10"... A lean mean and gangly red headed stubborn machine is what I am !!

HOWEVER: Megan MacDougall is maybe 5'6" and very tiny and rides a Nytro. She has BODY ENGLISH like you wouldn't believe and is slaying chutes that Swenson and Davidoff are pulling (that most mortal men wouldn't attempt!). Once you learn to be in the right place at the right time, body and throttle-wise, your lack of weight can get you places no fat-fatty has been before :)

Ride 50ft ahead of yourself and anticipate where you need to be before you need to be there. Once you think you are going fast enuf, go 5 faster for good measure!! AAAAND make sure your suspension and limiter straps are set for your rider weight and ability.

Enjoy the learning curve and your small accomplishments- it's what sledding is all about!! Don't beat yourself up on the bad days- we all have them and eventually you will have less of them :)

AprilO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same. And spread it over 5'10"... A lean mean and gangly red headed stubborn machine is what I am !!

HOWEVER: Megan MacDougall is maybe 5'6" and very tiny and rides a Nytro. She has BODY ENGLISH like you wouldn't believe and is slaying chutes that Swenson and Davidoff are pulling (that most mortal men wouldn't attempt!). Once you learn to be in the right place at the right time, body and throttle-wise, your lack of weight can get you places no fat-fatty has been before :)

Ride 50ft ahead of yourself and anticipate where you need to be before you need to be there. Once you think you are going fast enuf, go 5 faster for good measure!! AAAAND make sure your suspension and limiter straps are set for your rider weight and ability.

Enjoy the learning curve and your small accomplishments- it's what sledding is all about!! Don't beat yourself up on the bad days- we all have them and eventually you will have less of them :)

Will you be in revy this weekend? If so would you be able to show me how to set my suspension and limiter straps? I haven't a clue!

I think being in EMS has made me a bit of a chicken $hit cause I know what can happen if something goes wrong and I have seen it. Too many dead bodies due to sledding and quadding injuries. I find once I stop thinking about things and just ride I ride way better but when I sit and look and a hill and think about whether I can climb it or what can go wrong I usually roll me and my sled down the hill! :(

2007 Summit Rev 800
2006 Suzuki Vinson 500
2004 GMC Sierra 1500

AprilO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Oh and my god you're skinny! Cupcakes and cheeseburgers girl! Lol

2007 Summit Rev 800
2006 Suzuki Vinson 500
2004 GMC Sierra 1500

BirdieO

Reaction score
Oh Dear AprilO...we need to meet!! Can't wait for this weekend:d I've psyched myself out more times than I can remember...now my mantra is 'suck it up buttercup and just effin' ride it!'...seems to be helping!!

I find once I stop thinking about things and just ride I ride way better but when I sit and look and a hill and think about whether I can climb it or what can go wrong I usually roll me and my sled down the hill! :(

2007 Summit Rev 800
2006 Suzuki Vinson 500
2004 GMC Sierra 1500

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You need track speed to make the track cut into the hill when sidehilling. If your track isn't spinning, you ain't cutting. No cutting means your track tries to lay down on the hill, and over you go. gotta keep the track speed faster than ground speed.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Will you be in revy this weekend? If so would you be able to show me how to set my suspension and limiter straps? I haven't a clue!

I think being in EMS has made me a bit of a chicken $hit cause I know what can happen if something goes wrong and I have seen it. Too many dead bodies due to sledding and quadding injuries. I find once I stop thinking about things and just ride I ride way better but when I sit and look and a hill and think about whether I can climb it or what can go wrong I usually roll me and my sled down the hill! :(

2007 Summit Rev 800
2006 Suzuki Vinson 500
2004 GMC Sierra 1500

I get off nights on Friday morning... and my sled is in a million pieces in the garage :( As the day draws closer tho, I am more and more tempted to just head it for Revy. It would soooo suck to miss it, so I am working on finding a travel partner just to keep my options open.

We have a young guy in ICU right now who got creamed in the back by a snowmobile the drove into him at 80 miles an hour on the trail :( I hear your voice :) Being in EMS, you should know that sh*t happens whether you are falling off the couch or riding an ATV. I also deal with emergencies, trauma and end of life "issues" and the only thing it has taught me is that when your number is up, there ain't sh*t you can do about it. Sooo... Get a chest protector and some knee pads and let 'er buck!! (within reason: I have kids to come home to)...

And yes- I definitely need more cupcakes-- I spend every day making sure I get some !!

Top Bottom