Finished my homemade sleddeck today

dmkhnr

Reaction score
I finally got my sleddeck figured out, and finished up the ramp today.
I built it off a set of plans, and after it was all said and done, the beavertail was too steep, and the ramp was too weak (too much flex, and bent the crossbars).
Well after discouragedly putting it away for summer, I pulled it back out yesterday and got back to work.
I had to cut the beavertail off as it was 34*, and re-cut an attach at 15*.
The ramp was a complete failure so I had to pick up some more steel this morning, cut/fab. I used 1.5"x 1/8" sq tube, and now its strong enough.

Going to paint tomorrow and will get some pics, in fact I'll put up a pic of my first attempt tonight.

dmkhnr

Reaction score
I'll take a pic tomorrow after paint.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks! Im going be building a deck but the ramp has got me wondering what to build it from. I drive a heavy 900 RMK so I think the ramp might have to be built a little heavy. but my ramp also doesnt have to be long because my deck is low because my box is removed (flat deck truck) thinking a 6 foot ramp will be long enough. will wait for pictures

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im thinkin I would change the angle where the ramp hooks to the beavertail, looks like it could launch you into slamming down on to the deck:nono: The smoother the transition the safer the ride.Other than that good for you to build your own, looks awesome. :)

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im thinkin I would change the angle where the ramp hooks to the beavertail, looks like it could launch you into slamming down on to the deck:nono: The smoother the transition the safer the ride.Other than that good for you to build your own, looks awesome. :)

I dont think you'll have too much of a problem with the beaver tail.. as long as your not going mach chicken up the ramps :d looks really good and clean ! nice truck btw chrome h2's look good :beer:

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks! Im going be building a deck but the ramp has got me wondering what to build it from. I drive a heavy 900 RMK so I think the ramp might have to be built a little heavy. but my ramp also doesnt have to be long because my deck is low because my box is removed (flat deck truck) thinking a 6 foot ramp will be long enough. will wait for pictures

I built one from aluminum, 2, 5foot sections, slide together. Here is video of it, let me know if you want a materials list and measurements.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

First off, congrats on the build, there's a lot of self satisfaction in building your own deck. I have built quite a few myself. I do, however, have to agree with Thump. The ramp should follow the same line as the beavertail. It wouldn't be the launch onto the deck that would worry me so much as the dip down when unloading. It looks like the beavertail is just long enough that the rear of the skis will hit the dip when it crests over the end of the deck. Without a tall lip on the outter edge of the ramp, the skis will want to turn, and sift off the ramp. If you are loading and unloading against a snow bank, or the rear wheels of the truck are in a dip, the angle will be even worse. You may not have any issues at all, just my $0.02.

dmkhnr

Reaction score
Guys,
That is the picture of the ramp/deck after I first built it. Beavertail is way too steep.

I did change the angle of the beavertail (made it flatter). That first attempt was a launch ramp, and I had to hit it faster than what I should have.

I got it all painted today, and am going to put it in the truck tomorrow. I'll put some finished pics up tomorrow as It got to late to take pics today.

If your going to build a deck with a beavertail, you want to keep it in the 15* range as this will keep it shallower than the ramp and make a nice transition to the flat deck.

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys,
That is the picture of the ramp/deck after I first built it. Beavertail is way too steep.

I did change the angle of the beavertail (made it flatter). That first attempt was a launch ramp, and I had to hit it faster than what I should have.

I got it all painted today, and am going to put it in the truck tomorrow. I'll put some finished pics up tomorrow as It got to late to take pics today.

If your going to build a deck with a beavertail, you want to keep it in the 15* range as this will keep it shallower than the ramp and make a nice transition to the flat deck.

Ahh makes sense now, looking forward to pics, you painting it a nice black like the truck?

dmkhnr

Reaction score
I painted it silver. I was going to do gunmetal grey but thought the silver would give a better appearance. If I do another I'll paint it red.
I'll mount it today, even though I'm 99% sure it will be another 4+ weeks before we see ridable snow.

as promised the ramp

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is a good looking deck. I do agree with the steep beavertail problem. My younger brother dropped one off the side of his dually and hurt himself. He did not have the side rails to keep the skiis on the deck. One of these days I am going to come down to your part of the States and ride. We head down to Laughlin,NV three times a year. I almost have the wife convinced I should take the sled and ride Southern Utah and check that out.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry, trying to figure out the ramp. what is it built from? 1.5x2 tube? how thick? what are the two shorter tubes on the ramp for? I guess you space out the cross bars to the pitch of your track? any info whould be great!

dmkhnr

Reaction score
I've been out of town so I couldn't update the thread.

The ramp is 1.5x1.5x1/8" steel. I made it 8' long and laid the crossbracing at 19 1/4" spacing. You have to attach ski slides to it also. It is plenty strong for a Poo 900.
The 2 bars laying on top of the ramp are my ski clamps.
I got it mounted in the truck now, and have put the sleds on it. Will update with a pic tomorrow.

Top Bottom