Finally have enough money to seriously consider a new sled

summit1000

Reaction score
So, my '98 Camaro Z28 finally sold and I now have the money to start looking at sleds. I found a nice 2007 Summit XRS. It is actually owned by a forum member here. I haven't gone and looked at it yet, but the pictures on Kijiji and description of it seem good. Here is the Kijiji link. 2007 skidoo rev xrs | snowmobiles | Edmonton | Kijiji

I also have a family friend who has a 2008 800 Dragon. It has had all the engine updates done, it is piped, has V-Force Reeds, and has a power commander. The Dragon is $5,000 and has 1500 miles on it.

So, 2007 Summit XRS or 2008 800 Dragon?

summit1000

Reaction score
Xrs, dragons are no matter what still iffy at best

Benefit with the Dragon though is that if it blows up, the family friend would be willing to help me fix it. If the XRS blows up, I'm on my own.

summit1000

Reaction score
You two will be real good friends every 1000-1500 km then.

Hahahaha, that was a really good response....I litterally laughed :D......but really, are the 800 Dragons that bad??? I had a Summit 1000 and everyone said they were so bad and mine was still running decent. It had 2100 km's on it when I sold it and had never even blown a belt.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That xrs is Vance Masterson's sled he is a member on here as you said. I helped him put that motor together. He did everything right never cheaped out on anything. You will have a hard time finding a cleaner sled. You could eat dinner off that sled lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hahahaha, that was a really good response....I litterally laughed :D......but really, are the 800 Dragons that bad??? I had a Summit 1000 and everyone said they were so bad and mine was still running decent. It had 2100 km's on it when I sold it and had never even blown a belt.

I had a dragon and they are BBBAAADDD! First motor went at 1430km and the 6th got put in at1690! That's less then 100km per motor. And cycle works did all the motors. One time it didn't even make it out of there shop!

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a dragon and they are BBBAAADDD! First motor went at 1430km and the 6th got put in at1690! That's less then 100km per motor. And cycle works did all the motors. One time it didn't even make it out of there shop! But it was a nice sled to ride!

summit1000

Reaction score
I had a dragon and they are BBBAAADDD! First motor went at 1430km and the 6th got put in at1690! That's less then 100km per motor. And cycle works did all the motors. One time it didn't even make it out of there shop!

....ouch...Well, I'm leaning towards the XRS. I found some good deals on Pro RMK's, but they are all 2012's. And I've heard the 2012's had lots of problems. I also really don't want to spend more than $6,000. I'd look at 600's and 700's as well and I'd also look at Arctic Cats. All I really want is something that is fairly light, has at least a 144" track, is between 600 and 800 cc's and is under $6,000. What do you guys think of this Pro RMK? polaris pro rmk 2012 | snowmobiles | Edmonton | Kijiji

c_nelson99

Reaction score
not that Iam brand loyal bandwagon rider but if it was me I'd look at an m8. The dragon handles good but it has a totally unreliable motor, Iam not a big fan of the summit until you get into the t-motion sleds. If you like the ride of the dragon the m8 is the most similar and benefits from a bullet proof motor and a large amount of aftermarket parts if you want to upgrade it. I personally find that brp parts are a fair bit more expensive than the cat oem parts, this might also help you to keep the costs low.

summit1000

Reaction score

Good point lol. I did own the Summit 1000, the 670 Summit X, and the 2001 Mountain Cat 1000, and out of them, the Summit 1000 was probably my favorite, but it was too heavy. What I really want is a 600 Pro RMK, but they are hard to find used and usually ate high miles and expensive.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Still got my 12 600 pro rmk es you pm'd about. Not sure if I am selling and will no more by fall. Barely used by my daughter.

summit1000

Reaction score
Still got my 12 600 pro rmk es you pm'd about. Not sure if I am selling and will no more by fall. Barely used by my daughter.

I had completely forgot about that! I'll definitely keep you in mind on it. It's probably more than I want to spend, but to get the sled I really want, I may be able to stretch my budget.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I still have my 2010 Dragon 800 155, and I still like it. It's a fun sled, easy to ride and good power....

summit1000

Reaction score
Well, I think I am going to go and look at the XRS soon, and if it is as great as it looks in the pictures I will probably buy it. I have to make a decision on my friends Dragon fast. We know a guy who is going to Fort McMurray next week and he is picking up the snowmobile trailer that I bought. My friend with the Dragon lives in Fort McMurray and is the one that I'm buying the trailer from, so for him to put the sled in the trailer so that it is only one trip to Fort McMurray and back would be much easier. As it sits right now though, I'm really leaning towards that XRS.....although I would love a SC800's 2012 Pro RMK....I just don't think it is in the budget. But you never know, maybe a pile of money will fall from the sky hahaha.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
....ouch...Well, I'm leaning towards the XRS. I found some good deals on Pro RMK's, but they are all 2012's. And I've heard the 2012's had lots of problems. I also really don't want to spend more than $6,000. I'd look at 600's and 700's as well and I'd also look at Arctic Cats. All I really want is something that is fairly light, has at least a 144" track, is between 600 and 800 cc's and is under $6,000. What do you guys think of this Pro RMK? polaris pro rmk 2012 | snowmobiles | Edmonton | Kijiji

this is true about the liberty 800 motors....but ive had a turbo'd dragon for 3 seasons and never had those issues at all. i did wear out the seals on the crank.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I think I am going to go and look at the XRS soon, and if it is as great as it looks in the pictures I will probably buy it. I have to make a decision on my friends Dragon fast. We know a guy who is going to Fort McMurray next week and he is picking up the snowmobile trailer that I bought. My friend with the Dragon lives in Fort McMurray and is the one that I'm buying the trailer from, so for him to put the sled in the trailer so that it is only one trip to Fort McMurray and back would be much easier. As it sits right now though, I'm really leaning towards that XRS.....although I would love a SC800's 2012 Pro RMK....I just don't think it is in the budget. But you never know, maybe a pile of money will fall from the sky hahaha.

cash talks i need the space...someone has been texting me about it and coming on sat.

Top Bottom