Fifth Wheel hitches

Pawel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys the wife and I are looking at purchasing a fifth wheel here shortly and I was curious what you guys are using for hitches? I'd like to get one that rated for 16000lbs and nothing too fancy. Put up your prices too on what you paid for your set ups so I have a rough idea.

Thanks

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Curt 20K non sliding. Paid $1180+gst installed at Hitch Experts in Calgary.

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
got a highjacker 15k for 250 on kijiji, bought the rails and brackets for 300 and installed myself. I know it's not a 16k like your looking but i really like this hitch.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, I have a 20k Curt. It works great. I'm sure all the others are comparable in quality, but this was the lowest profile double pivot hitch I could find.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
walk on over the street and check out the DSP hitch I have. I had now problems with it. can't remember what I payed for it.

Pawel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feed back guys! Never heard of CURT but I'll definitely check it out!

Pawel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
walk on over the street and check out the DSP hitch I have. I had now problems with it. can't remember what I payed for it.
You better have some beer otherwise it's a pretty long walk over just to look at a hitch lol

Pawel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are all fifth wheels and rails universal and the mounting brackets are just different right?

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are all fifth wheels and rails universal and the mounting brackets are just different right?
I dont think they are all universal , but dont quote me on it, mine dont even have rails it drops into factory holes in the box of my truck, flip 2 levers and presto its locked in, its a reese

four4all

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got the same as Storm I think - It's called a Reese 18K Elite. No rails; just plunks flush into 4 holes in bed of truck. It's pretty sweet. $1840 installed.
If you get a newer 5vr - you won't need the sliders on the hitch.

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup same hitch, four4all, i didnt pay near that much for mine though, 1238.00 installed, course the installation isnt really a factor, the truck comes equipted like that from the factory, just plop the hitch in and your done.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
I have put lots of hitches in and have used a few different styles.I preffer the hitches with the rails that go front to back instead of side to side.I have found the hitches with the side to side rails have a tendency to twist the hitch alot easier then the hitches with the rails that go front to back.Just me 2 cents worth.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No, not all hitches are universal. Some have the rails that are front to back. Whats nice about those (dsp) is you can slide the hitch towards the back of the truck so you have more turning radius backing up. This way you don't hit the cab if you turn sharp. Reese or curt use rails that go across the box. I do believe Curt has a sliding hitch that does the same thing as above.

Pawel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah my truck is a short box so i heard that sliding fifth wheel would be better for that application.
For those of you that have a single pivot ones do you wish you would of gotten a dual pivot?

Thanks

GRD

Reaction score

I have a hijacker 16K double piviot slider hitch. I used the DSP rails in my 06 F350. I am going to be using the same hitch in my 11 Chevy 3500, and have just ordered a set of DSP rails.

cokecrazed007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You want the double pivot for sure. I have the sliding 20000 curt in my 06 f350 and I never used the sliding feature yet. I've had my trailer at 90 deg and no issue, I would get a slider again, just in case you need it. Find the model you want and the dealer should be able to tell you what hitch to get for your truck too.

Top Bottom