Fernie Winter 2016-2017

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Everyone I spoke to who rode yesterday was happy with conditions except for Doug by the sounds of it. However we wouldn't dare go into the burn or cut blocks early season, I've rode dirt bikes in there in the summer and it's not pretty whatsoever! To each there own!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a nice day, there is a good base, but overall, IMHO, it just isn't deep enough to be game on!

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the conditions the way they were, I wasn't pushing anything. What I did notice was the low end acceleration and hook up. Only 18.5 km so not really a big km day. Am I happy with it? Hell yes.

Where did you guys stage / ride Doug? Didn't see you up there.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I staged at Kim's. Only rode for a couple hours. Around to the cabin, probed a few times, talked to the guys with the stuck pick-ups, talked and helped a couple young guns stuck by the Chevron sign, and didn't take any chances as I was by myself and I know what getting stuck in a creek is like. Didn't want to risk it. I was down at 1:30 pm.

wideman12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was a nice day, there is a good base, but overall, IMHO, it just isn't deep enough to be game on!

Thanks guys, Im looking about mid December by the time I can sneak away for the first ride so hopefully it full go by then. Maybe I'll finally get to catch up with some of you for a ride here and there after not riding for a long while. Until then I'll keep looking at the snow!

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I staged at Kim's. Only rode for a couple hours. Around to the cabin, probed a few times, talked to the guys with the stuck pick-ups, talked and helped a couple young guns stuck by the Chevron sign, and didn't take any chances as I was by myself and I know what getting stuck in a creek is like. Didn't want to risk it. I was down at 1:30 pm.

Right on. You made out better than one young inexperienced fella who tried riding alone Saturday. Luckily he got out safe and I hope learned a valuable lesson about creeks and riding by himself.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right on. You made out better than one young inexperienced fella who tried riding alone Saturday. Luckily he got out safe and I hope learned a valuable lesson about creeks and riding by himself.

Sounds like you ran into the same young guy my buddies ran into Saturday and helped him also out of a creek bed twice!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh cool, I remember meeting you last year back in the rolling hills. Yes Michel said the guy was in a pickle!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

700modd

Reaction score
Can you ride down the road from yellow gates? Because I know they were logging on the road last year.
Thanks

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
I don't know why people do that. 2 years ago we were behind the cabin where people like to climb in the burn and 2/3 of the way across to the power line I see someone waving their jacket. I thought somebody was hurt and go flying over there. Just a young kid who rented a sled and was stuck for about a half hour and it was getting close to dusk and his buddy was at the cabin waiting for him. He walked to where he was and didn't even know where is sled was or how to get to the cabin. Found his sled and got him out and he planted it immediately. So got it out again and I rode it to a somewhat trail and told him to go straight down to the tree line and that is the coal creek summit trail and how to get to the cabin which I would have thought should be pretty self explanatory from where he was. Watched him get to where the intersection was just to make sure he could find it.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Can you ride down the road from yellow gates? Because I know they were logging on the road last year.
Thanks

They are logging there this winter until mid Feb. The road will be plowed from the Coal Creek side (I don't know how far toward Marten Creek it is plowed) but I do know it is illegal to ride a snowmobile on a plowed logging road. You can drive your truck on it but for your own safety have chains (with the temp changes it could be slippery as all get out. The logging trucks are chaining up and that is the first clue) and a VHF radio tuned to the logging frequency.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
IMG_0738.JPG

In case you missed this, the Coal Creek staging area is closed due active logging. This is until mid Feb. or until further notice.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 200654

In case you missed this, the Coal Creek staging area is closed due active logging. This is until mid Feb. or until further notice.

It's going to be an interesting next few years with all the ramped up logging going on. Access will suck at times, but it will create more riding areas

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Many trucks up Coal Creek, no place to park. Just stay away is my advice.
Morrissey has trucks as well, was very slippery the other day. Not many places to park. Don't know what to say.
Lodgepole is active as well. I wouldn't go without a radio and the knowledge to use it.
Creeks are all still open, but once you get up there, it's pretty darn good!
Lots of wind activity up there last night.
Just sayin'

Top Bottom