Fernie season 2020/2021

The Kohen

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Happy Holidays! This is my first post and just planning a trip out to clear my thoughts for my mental stability before I'm back to work. I have been out riding to the mountains about 6 times and plan to bring my wife for an introduction.

Is Morrissey groomed and are the snow conditions pretty sweet now? We plan to be out there for a couple days of riding Dec.30 - Jan 2/3.

Any advice will be gladly appreciated! Thanks!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Happy Holidays! This is my first post and just planning a trip out to clear my thoughts for my mental stability before I'm back to work. I have been out riding to the mountains about 6 times and plan to bring my wife for an introduction.

Is Morrissey groomed and are the snow conditions pretty sweet now? We plan to be out there for a couple days of riding Dec.30 - Jan 2/3.

Any advice will be gladly appreciated! Thanks!
If you read a few posts/pages back you will have a feel for what it is like. They did get some new snow.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sadly from the sheer volume of riders over the holidays you can go from epic pow to a parking lot in 2 days.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just to let EVERYONE know what is going on. The FSA is doing an amazing job to keep area's open and it's getting harder by the day. Coal creek, Corbin and Morrisey all would have been SHUT DOWN this season if it wasn't for the FSA. They managed to keep the morrisey and Corbin open for now but..... the logging crews are about on their last straw to locking the corbin DOWN. PLEASE abide by the rules. Don't think they can't shut it down... They can and they will!!!!!. I have been sledding this area for many years and it certainly changing as per logging but saying that we ALL need to do out part otherwise a few aholes will screw it for everyone. BTW the $25 trail pass isn't just for the nice new cabins. I certainly hate when I am at the cabin and guys are bragging that they didn't pay the $25 trail pass. It is for so much more including the cost to keep these area's open. Being a long term member of the FSA I see whats going on and I hate it. I really don't care if people think I'm the ahole to do this post but some people better wake the puck up and change their ways or STAY THE PUCK OUT OF THIS AREA. That's my bitch for today. Now can someone do a snow dance for this area

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Just to let EVERYONE know what is going on. The FSA is doing an amazing job to keep area's open and it's getting harder by the day. Coal creek, Corbin and Morrisey all would have been SHUT DOWN this season if it wasn't for the FSA. They managed to keep the morrisey and Corbin open for now but..... the logging crews are about on their last straw to locking the corbin DOWN. PLEASE abide by the rules. Don't think they can't shut it down... They can and they will!!!!!. I have been sledding this area for many years and it certainly changing as per logging but saying that we ALL need to do out part otherwise a few aholes will screw it for everyone. BTW the $25 trail pass isn't just for the nice new cabins. I certainly hate when I am at the cabin and guys are bragging that they didn't pay the $25 trail pass. It is for so much more including the cost to keep these area's open. Being a long term member of the FSA I see whats going on and I hate it. I really don't care if people think I'm the ahole to do this post but some people better wake the puck up and change their ways or STAY THE PUCK OUT OF THIS AREA. That's my bitch for today. Now can someone do a snow dance for this area

Boy, oh boy.............did you hit a rock out riding today??

Something jarred you out of quiet retirement. Good on you and well said.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It has to be said. Pay your way if you want to be in the sport. Quit ruining it for the stakeholders of the sport who built the area's. A lot of smug 'me too" peeps out there that think rules don't apply to them.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no rocks but after talking with a executive member today i got pissed at what I have been seeing for a long time and decided it was time to speak my mind.
Boy, oh boy.............did you hit a rock out riding today??

Something jarred you out of quiet retirement. Good on you and well said.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hate to be a complete negative Nelly, so I'll start with the good news. We had a good half day today and were riding one of our secret meadows in around 1 foot of fresh on top of a pretty good consolidated base...pretty sweet day but certainly not epic. The Morrissey trail was in pretty good shape considering the lack of snow down low and the Holiday traffic...Two Thumbs up to the FSA.

Now for the bad news. I had a bit of a negative encounter with a fellow sledder today at the Morrissey Kiosk. While our group was discussing some things with the lady at the kiosk two people rode up on the road and stopped 20 or 30 ft behind us. Using a bit of sign language (pointing at the road and making an X with my arms and then pointing at the trail and giving a thumbs up) I tried to indicate they should be riding on the trail and not the road. The fellow took off his helmet and came up towards me with a bit of an agro attitude. I explained that people riding illegally on the plowed road has been causing the FSA problems and peeps should be using the trail. He then said he had insurance, had parked on the road and he was allowed to ride the road...I said sorry...not legal to ride on the plowed road. Here is the kicker though...at the end of our quick discussion he said "I'm the Cat driver...I can ride on the road"...I replied "then you should know better". So if he was telling the truth and he is one of the Cat drivers in the area, he either works for Fernie Wilderness Adventures or the FSA. Both of these groups are actively discouraging riding on the plowed road or there will be access problems. If anyone on this forum personally knows him, please have a chat with him. He was of average size, riding a green Hardcore and had a forest green jacket. His riding partner was riding a newer pinkish/redish sled and was on the shorter side of the scale and may have been female...hard to tell with all the riding gear.

I'm not on Facebook, so I cannot post this info to the FSA Facebook page. If anyone is a Facebook-er and feels the need, they are free to copy this info and paste it to FSA Facebook page,

Please people...don't **** this access up.

IMG_0562.JPG

IMG_0564.JPG

IMG_0565.JPG

IMG_0567.JPG

IMG_0569.JPG

IMG_0571.JPG

Last edited:

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jan. 4 today.
Every single day back and forth through the pass, I meet dozens of trucks with sleds.
I'm curious where they all ride, and where the snow reports are?
Especially for the amount we've been getting the last couple days.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Jan. 4 today.
Every single day back and forth through the pass, I meet dozens of trucks with sleds.
I'm curious where they all ride, and where the snow reports are?
Especially for the amount we've been getting the last couple days.
It has appeared to me over the years that the snow reports on this forum have deteriorated drastically and not just in the Fernie area but all over. Case in point Okanagan/Shuswap, the last post about conditions was Dec 31. A little chatter after that but no condition reporting. Kootenay (Fernie) conditions were last given Dec 22 and a couple posts after that posting about following the rules set out by the FSA.

Rumour had it that a lot of people went to FB and various pages for reporting conditions. I don't know as I am not on FB.

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It has appeared to me over the years that the snow reports on this forum have deteriorated drastically and not just in the Fernie area but all over. Case in point Okanagan/Shuswap, the last post about conditions was Dec 31. A little chatter after that but no condition reporting. Kootenay (Fernie) conditions were last given Dec 22 and a couple posts after that posting about following the rules set out by the FSA.

Rumour had it that a lot of people went to FB and various pages for reporting conditions. I don't know as I am not on FB.
Agreed. Kinda why I just stick to my own observations from afar. Follow the weather, various clubs websites and Av Canada. I've been off FB for over 2 weeks and it's been glorious.

Although, as long as there isn't a crappy ice crust, there's always fresh to be found on a snowbike.

Btw......hows conditions out there???

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Way more people on Facebook showing conditions. Easier to post pics and no one calls you a c**t if they don't like your report. Lol

wideman12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got out for the first time on Saturday.
Was a zoo in the lot, haven’t ridden morrisey that much but never seen that many trucks. First few kms of trail were slushy but hard to fight that with all the warm temps.
Snow we found was decent, a few good little areas but that was before all the snow that’s supposed to come this week.
Looking forward to the next trip out.

sledhead800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me and my buddy rode yesterday, we stage just about at the tin shack and rode inside a little bit then started to hit some cut blocks, snow was alright over all better then being at work haha!!!

Attachments

• 73342AAC-DE8D-4513-965E-AE0991C93B18.jpg
    73342AAC-DE8D-4513-965E-AE0991C93B18.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 431
  • E79AAAB4-508E-4C92-B15F-8C2FA90FB2D2.jpg
    E79AAAB4-508E-4C92-B15F-8C2FA90FB2D2.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 412
  • 77BD859B-9B74-4DBC-8638-27253275A761.jpg
    77BD859B-9B74-4DBC-8638-27253275A761.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 422

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Agreed. Kinda why I just stick to my own observations from afar. Follow the weather, various clubs websites and Av Canada. I've been off FB for over 2 weeks and it's been glorious.

Although, as long as there isn't a crappy ice crust, there's always fresh to be found on a snowbike.

Btw......hows conditions out there???

Not the best but we did get 30 cm Monday. Tuesday was okay but we need more snow. Some areas are better than others but that is normal. Still lots of creeks showing and wind blown trees are making nice pillows but with low snow....................it can a a chit show in a hurry!

altaredneck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was just up there today. Definitely needs more snow. Probed one point 115cm backside of rolling hills. Up at notch the fenced area has still about 6 feet of it exposed. You have to be careful out there stumps right below surface and looking for a arms lol

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are not logging and the road is not plowed at the yellow gates but they are at the tin shack. You can drive in calling km’s and park at the riser.

Top Bottom