Fernie conditions 2014/15

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a house on Koocanusa and have friends with a house in Fernie. I like Morrisey if staying at my place - Coal Creek if staying Fernie for the night (and going to the pub). Coal Creek is a bit busy and the parking areas need to be dealt with.
It is a PITA if you show up hauling a trailer and the main area is full. FSA needs to deal with that if they can. Maybe a 3rd club in the area could solve the issues.

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a house on Koocanusa and have friends with a house in Fernie. I like Morrisey if staying at my place - Coal Creek if staying Fernie for the night (and going to the pub). Coal Creek is a bit busy and the parking areas need to be dealt with.
It is a PITA if you show up hauling a trailer and the main area is full. FSA needs to deal with that if they can. Maybe a 3rd club in the area could solve the issues.

It could be called the "Local Ornery Snowmobile Executive Riders" (LOSERS) and start collecting fees at all major highways into sledding areas...

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It could be called the "Local Ornery Snowmobile Executive Riders" (LOSERS) and start collecting fees at all major highways into sledding areas...
But they would be in competition with the RCMP on the collecting fees part...may not work.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We don't go very far to find good riding, I have not been to the wranglers cabin in a couple years. It is closer from Morrissey for us. Coal Creek is not much further to good areas but it is further.

Edit: Did some Google mapping and found it is 8.9 km to where we ride if staging Morrissey and 15.8 km to the Cabin from Coal Creek.

Wranglers Cabin is about 21 kms from the Coal staging area and the drive to Morrissey is about 21 kms from town alone, just to the staging. Those trees in the cutblocks along the powerline are getting taller every year (well, some of them might have been clipped....LOL), and this year with the low snow has made it worse, between growth and less snow, they looked like they grew 5 ft last year. I hear ya, not trying to discount what you are saying, its a decent area, just showing what we've found, and this year it seems the best riding is up higher. Coal is always a more consistent groom as well, so you know it is going to be smooth and fast, I found Morrissey was always a bit hit and miss in the past, now it sounds like its just "not good".

Last edited:

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
Wranglers Cabin is about 21 kms from the Coal staging area and the drive to Morrissey is about 21 kms from town alone, just to the staging. Those trees in the cutblocks along the powerline are getting taller every year (well, some of them might have been clipped....LOL), and this year with the low snow has made it worse, between growth and less snow, they looked like they grew 5 ft last year. I hear ya, not trying to discount what you are saying, its a decent area, just showing what we've found, and this year it seems the best riding is up higher. Coal is always a more consistent groom as well, so you know it is going to be smooth and fast, I found Morrissey was always a bit hit and miss in the past, now it sounds like its just "not good".
Ya. We stay away from cut blocks and ride in the natural trees. No land mines, no other tracks and not very far from the staging areas.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like morrisey for a few reasons. The ride up is pretty cool view wise. The ski cat keeps it pretty nice the first little bit. From there to the first few riding option isn't far, so even if the trail is ****, your not on it that long.

The best riding anywhere out there is NOT in the cut blocks, so I'm not sure why anyone would make reference to that. And FWIW, just because there are tree's in the picture, doesn't mean your riding in them :)

As was mentioned though, as long as the Elk valley folks are 'running' Morrisey, I'll not be staging there anymore.

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As was mentioned though, as long as the Elk valley folks are 'running' Morrisey, I'll not be staging there anymore.

When staging there we ran into some real jerks - acted like they owned the place - tried to pull into the spot right beside us close to the trail head, as we were getting ready, so we politely moved our sleds. Staging area was mostly empty. Big loud truck with a guy with small dick apparently wanted to make a point...about what I'm not sure...

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not too sure. Next week looks promising ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424404768.448743.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Friggen snow fizzled out last night...5cm at the hill. Just enough to lube the sliders.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This weather is so ridiculous. What a ****ty year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest forcast is for mainly sunny for the next 7 days...hope they got it wrong.

Im starting to daydream about Air Chairing and Water Skiing on Kookanusa already...that usually doesn't start till May.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my camp site opens may 15th. i will be there on that day ready to camp
Latest forcast is for mainly sunny for the next 7 days...hope they got it wrong.

Im starting to daydream about Air Chairing and Water Skiing on Kookanusa already...that usually doesn't start till May.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You go to kocanusa in May?

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did I here that today was the last day open for the ski hill, never seen this before

Top Bottom