Fernie Area

Daverino27

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

A group of us will be making a trip down to Fernie this February and I'm hoping someone can give us some ideas. It has been a couple years since i've ridden in the fernie area need some refreshing and new ideas. Over the last couple years we've done most of our riding around Golden.

1) Most of my riding around Fernie has been down Morrisey Rd. I've heard that this is closed off now??? Can anyone shed some light on this?

2) Through looking on the internet I see there is a new staging area called Coal Creek. If someone could shed some details on Coal Creek I'd appreciate it.

3) Any other areas around Fernie that someone would recommend and can provide directions for would be greatly appreciated........as I said its been a few years since i've been there and my memory is not so good.

Our group is generally compromised of advanced riders looking for tree riding, meadows, and high alpine climbs.

Thanks a bunch, any info is appreciated.

Pillowydrops

Reaction score
Vancouver, BC (Christina Lake this Winter)
I'm actually going to be out that way the next 2 weeks, and I'm also unfamiliar with the area. The only difference is I'm a relative sled newbie, so if anyone wants to elaborate on the areas that are a little more mellow as well it would be much appreciated :)

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Hey Guys,

A group of us will be making a trip down to Fernie this February and I'm hoping someone can give us some ideas. It has been a couple years since i've ridden in the fernie area need some refreshing and new ideas. Over the last couple years we've done most of our riding around Golden.

1) Most of my riding around Fernie has been down Morrisey Rd. I've heard that this is closed off now??? Can anyone shed some light on this?

If you follow this link https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f8/pipeline-conditions-43343.html it'll take you to a discussion on the Morrisey Road issue.
It is currently closed due to logging.

2) Through looking on the internet I see there is a new staging area called Coal Creek. If someone could shed some details on Coal Creek I'd appreciate it.

This staging area is down the road from the dump, near the rifle range. This is where they currently groom from. There are signs through town pointing you in the correct direction.

3) Any other areas around Fernie that someone would recommend and can provide directions for would be greatly appreciated........as I said its been a few years since i've been there and my memory is not so good.

Our group is generally compromised of advanced riders looking for tree riding, meadows, and high alpine climbs.

Here you go, I inserted comments under your questions.

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm actually going to be out that way the next 2 weeks, and I'm also unfamiliar with the area. The only difference is I'm a relative sled newbie, so if anyone wants to elaborate on the areas that are a little more mellow as well it would be much appreciated :)

No Dig No Glory Mr p.drops !

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com

Check out the Fernie snowmobile association website at the following link.
It lists out where you can pick up trail passes and maps for the area. The Fernie clubs maps should give you a good idea on where to go and where to stay away from.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Ride the rolling hills out of Coal Creek, apart from "high alpine climbs" its probably going to be what you are looking for, if not more. Check the avy conditions before you get too hyped on climbing anything as they change daily.

Morrisey is closed, save the gas and don't even drive there just ride from town, the road is gated.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Morrisey is closed, save the gas and don't even drive there just ride from town, the road is gated.

Heard tale of the RCMP waiting at the bottom of the Morrisey road last saturday. One truck just pulled chute and moved on to other zones, and this was who I had heard it from. Save that gas, or better yet, burn it in the woods.

Reaction score
Hi guys, just want to say the Trails in Fernie are great after our dump this week. My lodge is located on a trail that is 2 minutes away from the Trail head here in Fernie. Look me up as i do discounts for groups. Fernie Snowmobile club has all the info you need for current conditions.

chowski12

Reaction score
Is there any way to purchase a detailed trail map online? I will be staying in sparwood and wondering what the best staging area for us to shoot for. Or get one in calgary for that matter.

As well, are there any other backcountry guides than "Prestige Tours"? I have tried to contact them twice, but received no response. I have a group of 4-5 guys ranging from beginner to experienced, but nobody has ever been to ride in Fernie. Do you guys recommend a guide in this area?

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
PM Andy at Weir Boondocking on here...he maybe able ot help you out.

It's a nice and pretty big area to explore..enjoy.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Is there any way to purchase a detailed trail map online? I will be staying in sparwood and wondering what the best staging area for us to shoot for. Or get one in calgary for that matter.

As well, are there any other backcountry guides than "Prestige Tours"? I have tried to contact them twice, but received no response. I have a group of 4-5 guys ranging from beginner to experienced, but nobody has ever been to ride in Fernie. Do you guys recommend a guide in this area?

Trail passes are not available online. The club uses them for a fund raiser. They are available from local businesses in Fernie (Ghostrider, Husky/Smitty's, Park Place Lodge, to name a few). If Andy is busy you can shoot me a PM.

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
rode yesterday was awesome! sun good two feet of fresh and the trail was the best ive seen it in fernie that cold weather must of helped! what a sweet day

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Yes, it would have been. The trail from the Rolling Hill's cabin to the Wrangler's cabin is built on a bed of alders and it deteriorates fast. It just doesn't hold up like the main trail on the FSR. We will groom Marten and to the Rolling Hills cabin tonight.

We have struggled with the numbers of riders (rider count is way up this year so we must be doo-ing something right!) and the mechanical difficulties with the SnowCat but we aim to please and give it our best shot. We are working on a staging area expansion with expectations of getting it for next year.

Hope you all enjoy, fs

teddybear26x

Reaction score
Yes, it would have been. The trail from the Rolling Hill's cabin to the Wrangler's cabin is built on a bed of alders and it deteriorates fast. It just doesn't hold up like the main trail on the FSR. We will groom Marten and to the Rolling Hills cabin tonight.

We have struggled with the numbers of riders (rider count is way up this year so we must be doo-ing something right!) and the mechanical difficulties with the SnowCat but we aim to please and give it our best shot. We are working on a staging area expansion with expectations of getting it for next year.

Hope you all enjoy, fs
I was out today and it was Awesome. Lots of untracked if you can needle through the trees to get where you need to go. effortless hero snow up there today. Buddy broke his Primary spring so we had to cut it short but will be back out tomorrow. Trail was awesome. couple small rumble strips coming out of the corners, to be expected.
Talked to Carol tonight, told me about the crappy news with the cat. Hope you guys can get it going soon. Hope the trail holds up till than. Guess I get to do some more riding since I don't have to sell passes this weekend.
BUT BUT BUT Please remember to buy a trail pass or membership as the problems with the cat doesn't fix themselves people. So, if you want a smooth ride please stop in at one of the Vendor's (Gear Hub, Ghost Rider, Park Place, Husky/Smitty's) and buy a pass so the boys can get that cat going and get that trail smooth for us to enjoy. If you don't like your kidney's or machine don't worry about it.

Top Bottom