Felt bad but I had to laugh

caddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was riding in Kakwa and had just come of the lake headed out when I stopped to adjust my helmet. Everyone went by me so I waited for the dust to settle and carried on. 1/4 mile up the trail I ride up on someone stopped and waving their arms wildly. It was a young kid, maybe 8 or9 with tears in his eyes. He told me (sobbing) " I hit a bump and the kill switch went off and my family left me behind and I can't start it and my family left me behind!" Yes I laughed, told him not to worry, I would start it for him and follow him until we found his dad. About 200 ft up the trail was his dad coming back around the corner. Stopped and talked to him quick and you could see the relief in the little guys face. Like I said I felt bad but still had to laugh.:)

caddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think there was too many people going by at once and he got scared, Think it took his dad longer to turn around than anything he wasn't far ahead.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think there was too many people going by at once and he got scared, Think it took his dad longer to turn around than anything he wasn't far ahead.

People before you passed him ? Either way feel good in being the guy that did stop to see if someone needed a hand

island rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats why my kids ride between me and the wife , and I never loose site .

polcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good 4 u caddy
don't crucify the dad too quick guys don't know how it happened for sure and probably won't let it happen again

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When quading with my daughter I let her cruise around by herself I no were she is all the time I just dont let her no that,more then once shes been stuck and I leave her,once I hid around the corner and watched,she panic for about 30 seconds but then started workin at gettin out,now she starts tryin right away and knows Ill be there soon,gotta let them biuld some independence and enginuity,just my way,dont think Im a bad father.

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good on ya for helping out a fellow sledder (albeit a young one), just reinforcing the concept of helping another person out of a jam. That kid will likely remember that years down the road when he comes upon someone with a dead machine and lend a hand. As for being a bad parent for a slip-up...don't think so, I'm happy that the kid was taken on the trip in the first place (and I'm sure he is too). :cool:

caddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good 4 u caddy
don't crucify the dad too quick guys don't know how it happened for sure and probably won't let it happen again

Like polcatmando said, don't crucify the dad. It looked like the whole family was out, and when we all left the lake I think they just got seperated as 15 sleds went ripping by. Like I said before the kid's dad wasn't far up the trail and he did come back right away. I think we've all been seperated from a parent before somewhere, think back everyone. Even scary at a fair or something. Thats what made me laugh, I had a flashback from when I was that age. I really like to see the family groups out in the mountains like that, I never got to go on sled trips like that as a kid. You always have to look out for your fellow sled heads no matter what age.:)

cat girl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Caddy my boys would like you for a neighbor!! They ride themselves ALL the time out in our fields without myself or their dad and have had to dig themselves and team start the machines when the kill switch is on and forgotten ;) I would have had a little laugh too ... you are probably a new hero :)

caddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Caddy my boys would like you for a neighbor!! They ride themselves ALL the time out in our fields without myself or their dad and have had to dig themselves and team start the machines when the kill switch is on and forgotten ;) I would have had a little laugh too ... you are probably a new hero :)

Thats funny cause even though it was a long time ago, I can remember doing that in the feilds too. The 1/4 section walk home when your stuck was always crappy. After you try to dig out for an hour and dad would lift the enticer out with one arm and get you going again.:eek:

Dean10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I couldnt agree more, i can remember being 8 or 10 yrs old, and i bent a rim on the ol yamaha 200E Shaft trike, thats right, a trike. Dad made me change the wheel all by myself. I remember thinking that he could get those lugnuts off in 5 seconds, and it took me half an hour. He just sat there with a beer and made suggestions of which tools i should use.

You cant buy that kind of education,

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some good stories in this thread thats for sure... Big difference how just having someone hang off a ski can get you goin again.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Turning around isnt a good idea either, the kid could be flustered driving faster than hes use to to get to the group and the father could be flustered thinking the kids hurt looking for him and they could hit each other.... well on a tight trail or top of a hill or at night and so on. there is a relatively small chance this would happen but ive heard of it happening a couple times even with two adults thinking the other guy blew up or blew a belt.

e-start would be a great investment for kids, even my wife hahah she cant start my rmk, she can barely start the 600 she rides

Snorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Turning around isnt a good idea either, the kid could be flustered driving faster than hes use to to get to the group and the father could be flustered thinking the kids hurt looking for him and they could hit each other.... well on a tight trail or top of a hill or at night and so on. there is a relatively small chance this would happen but ive heard of it happening a couple times even with two adults thinking the other guy blew up or blew a belt.

e-start would be a great investment for kids, even my wife hahah she cant start my rmk, she can barely start the 600 she rides

the only thing that kept me from riding sleds a year sooner when i was a kid, my dad wouldn't let me ride with out him on it till i could start it. I remember pulling my first sled for hours and hours in the shop hoping i could get that sucker to start. lol.

Top Bottom