February Snow Conditions

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Rode Renshaw today. Lots of fresh powder. more over the saddle/down the ladder. Coming over the hood.

When on Monday afternoon, We were blackwater at 5:00 BC time and there was at least 1' and as you got further towards Wineburger it was deeper as well as when you headed towards the saddle it was deeper as well.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Lets see the pics!!! 4ft of fresh i have a hard time believing.
We did not see this ourselves, there was a few groups at the cabin they claimed it was waste deep and awesome powder over the saddle. I only seen about 2 1/2 feet myself last weekend. And it was awesome. Im jealous for the people that get to play in that snow this week.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was a nice day on friday....blue sky, trail was in great shape, and found a little fresh here and there.

valemount2012025Medium.jpg

valemount2012029Medium.jpg

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Only EPIC if we were there in the morning when it was sunny with the fresh dump. Im sure now the snow has consolidated and compressed.
Barry, you need to ask Ron P to post some pics of his ride on Tuesday. Was he going into Spirit Lake?

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only EPIC if we were there in the morning when it was sunny with the fresh dump. Im sure now the snow has consolidated and compressed.
Barry, you need to ask Ron P to post some pics of his ride on Tuesday. Was he going into Spirit Lake?
snowing so hard this morning that they went to Belle. Renshaw tomorrow, pulled a load of logs off Belle this morning and snowing hard up top.

cowgurl111

Reaction score
Family day weekend at renshaw :D pics of rknight111 and quagmire and a few others

DSC_0701.JPG Sweet Beer Mohawk

DSC_0707.JPG Ron near cabin at Renshaw, Saturday

DSC_0721.JPG Steve near cabin at Renshaw, Saturday

DSC_0728.JPG Steve in meadow near Blackwater, Sat

DSC_0731.JPG Ron in meadow...

DSC_0753.JPG Ron in Blackwater - Monday

DSC_0776.JPG Ron in Blackwater - Monday

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
RXN txt me and said a new sledder went tobogganing down and hit a tree,broke femur and had to wait 4hrs for search and rescue...

SAR ground crew got called at 5:05 and by 8:45 they were done and back in town. broken femor takes some time to get packaged on hill.

Was first and hopefully last time to deal with somthing like this.
the young rider was 18, and he had a real crappy day, his 2011 M8 was bogging hard, not running right, So he called Spin Drift, trouble shooted over the phone, and we diconnected the throttle block sensor. It was like a new machine. He ended up rolling it in the bowl at Bell. hurt his ribs when he did that.

Our group was 11 riders including 3 18yr olds. we were getting ready to head back down to the Scarecrow, (where we were staying), two of the young lads and one of the older fella's ran ahead back to the cabin. When I came over the top of Little Bell, one of the boys way pushing off on one of the toboggan's found in the cabin. he picked up way way way, way too much speed, due to the tracked out hard pack snow, so there was no drag to slow him down.

He smoked one of the trees in the little cluster of trees between the cabin and the out house. Laying in pain, and was saying his foot was snagged. I looked at his feet and said to him, Nope not snagged. I unzipped his left snow pant leg and his leg was baddly deformed. no blood, no bones, we told him no to move, I was reading my First aid book to see what to do, the other older fella radioed the rest of the group, (still on back side of Little Bell), informed them that we had a situation. Once we detremed it was his Femur, 2 of us rode back down to the Scarecrow to phone for help. (cell reception sucked at the cabin). I phoned 9-1-1 and told dispatch what had happened, they said it was already called in, so someone got reception somewheres on the hill. They re-verified all the details and location with me.

Once got off the phone, we rode back up, The guys uptop had him out of that little tree well, legs tied together, he was laying on a longer toboggan, We lite a fire near him to keep him warm. laid coats and a heat blanket on him, used all our hot packs on him, even tucked the muff pot against his side. and then we waited.

Never felt so helpless in my life,

When the rescues showed up, we assisted in every way we could, got him on a spine board, in thier rescue sleigh, and took him down.

The 2 fella's and the paramedic did a great job up there, :) thanks guys.

He was lucky the break didn't bleed, rip arteries or any really life theatening veins. the trail was smooth, next to zero bumps.

But like I said earlier, never want to go through this again.

Last I heard he's doing good, should get home from PG today sometime.

Thanks to all who helped. :beer: :)

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that info RXN! Hope he heals well. On another note talked to Hotrod this morning and he moved the groomer back up to Renshaw at 2a.m. and the parking lot had a foot of new snow and still snowing out that way when he left. About 6" in the town. Lucielle and Belle groomed last Monday evening. New snow on all hills! Anyways off to Mexico for a week, have fun everyone. Higgins.

Reactions: RXN

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was first and hopefully last time to deal with somthing like this.
the young rider was 18, and he had a real crappy day, his 2011 M8 was bogging hard, not running right, So he called Spin Drift, trouble shooted over the phone, and we diconnected the throttle block sensor. It was like a new machine. He ended up rolling it in the bowl at Bell. hurt his ribs when he did that.

Our group was 11 riders including 3 18yr olds. we were getting ready to head back down to the Scarecrow, (where we were staying), two of the young lads and one of the older fella's ran ahead back to the cabin. When I came over the top of Little Bell, one of the boys way pushing off on one of the toboggan's found in the cabin. he picked up way way way, way too much speed, due to the tracked out hard pack snow, so there was no drag to slow him down.

He smoked one of the trees in the little cluster of trees between the cabin and the out house. Laying in pain, and was saying his foot was snagged. I looked at his feet and said to him, Nope not snagged. I unzipped his left snow pant leg and his leg was baddly deformed. no blood, no bones, we told him no to move, I was reading my First aid book to see what to do, the other older fella radioed the rest of the group, (still on back side of Little Bell), informed them that we had a situation. Once we detremed it was his Femur, 2 of us rode back down to the Scarecrow to phone for help. (cell reception sucked at the cabin). I phoned 9-1-1 and told dispatch what had happened, they said it was already called in, so someone got reception somewheres on the hill. They re-verified all the details and location with me.

Once got off the phone, we rode back up, The guys uptop had him out of that little tree well, legs tied together, he was laying on a longer toboggan, We lite a fire near him to keep him warm. laid coats and a heat blanket on him, used all our hot packs on him, even tucked the muff pot against his side. and then we waited.

Never felt so helpless in my life,

When the rescues showed up, we assisted in every way we could, got him on a spine board, in thier rescue sleigh, and took him down.

The 2 fella's and the paramedic did a great job up there, :) thanks guys.

He was lucky the break didn't bleed, rip arteries or any really life theatening veins. the trail was smooth, next to zero bumps.

But like I said earlier, never want to go through this again.

Last I heard he's doing good, should get home from PG today sometime.

Thanks to all who helped. :beer: :)

Wow thats crazy....here's to a speedy recovery on the young fella. I can relate, had a similar situation a couple years ago in Blue River except his was below the knee with his foot pointing the wrong way. Sounds like you guys did an awesome job, here's a big pat on the back.

• Thanks
Reactions: RXN

NorthstaRmk

Reaction score
Rode with the guy who broke his femur over christmas. Heard he's gonna be ok, I've never met a guy with that much bad luck. Hopefully everyone can learn from this not to take a crazy carpet down a mountain.

Reactions: EBE

Quagmire

Senior Sunburnt Member
Reaction score
Nice pictures Cowgurl111. Nice to see some with me not in a tree... We didn't see any of you. I think we need to change your name to what we talked about.LOL

Top Bottom