Farmer talk

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here are the truck pics 007.
No the truck as no been repainted, just shedded for the last29 years.

Attachments

• Truck 1.jpg
    Truck 1.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 259
  • Truck 2.jpg
    Truck 2.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 266
  • Truck 3.jpg
    Truck 3.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 262
  • Truck 4.jpg
    Truck 4.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Peas are close here. Normally we would have 3-4 peas a pod and this year 7 is the average. lots of pods as well. In fact all the crops look very good.

Whats the rest of the world up to?

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lentils are hurting bad around here Rosetown area for 30-40 mile radius. There are a few decent ones but these heavy downpours every couple days isn't good. Cereals look really good yet. Guys will be spraying peas b4 end of this week I bet. Lentils shortly after

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We could have cut hay a month ago, but it's rained some what everyday or every second day....
Seen some in the area cutting, then rained on, turned and bailed, but they look horrible, so have been waiting...

Good looking crop just......Need a 4-5 day window of no rain...any time now ....still waiting...so much for two cuts this year.....

farmerboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haying everywhere is in "rabbit" lol. Is been a hurry and wait kinda year. Some of the hay crops around are awsome, but Timothy is starting to ripen real quick. Looks like Rockyford, Bottrel, and airdrie really got hit with hail.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lousy harvest weather the fields are pretty wet and calling for more rain. We managed to get 90 acres of malt barley off but already pretty bleached from the 2" rain on Wednesday.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lousy harvest weather the fields are pretty wet and calling for more rain. We managed to get 90 acres of malt barley off but already pretty bleached from the 2" rain on Wednesday.
That sucks. Some winter wheat and peas off here is all in the area. I doubt I will turn a wheel till September with all this rain dragging the crop ripening process down.

collin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kind of a shot in the dark ... (no pun intended).

I used to have a friend with a large farm that I had access to and would spend hours thinning out his gopher population. So apparently, the local gophers suffered some sort of Armageddon about three years or so ago. That area near the international airport (Edmonton) was gopher free for some time and may be making a slow comeback.

Does anyone have a gopher population around/near the stony Plain area, that I could assist in controlling? I have nothing heavy duty, just a bolt action 22 rifle.

Please PM me if you allow me access to your land.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Kind of a shot in the dark ... (no pun intended).

I used to have a friend with a large farm that I had access to and would spend hours thinning out his gopher population. So apparently, the local gophers suffered some sort of Armageddon about three years or so ago. That area near the international airport (Edmonton) was gopher free for some time and may be making a slow comeback.

Does anyone have a gopher population around/near the stony Plain area, that I could assist in controlling? I have nothing heavy duty, just a bolt action 22 rifle.

Please PM me if you allow me access to your land.

Interesting that you brought this up. It reminds me of back in the day of being a student at NAIT. We would go out around Stony on Saturdays and shoot gophers until we ran out of ammo, then hit the pubs and have a few brews and eat pickled eggs/sauage for supper and do it all over again the next weekend. Great times!

collin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting that you brought this up. It reminds me of back in the day of being a student at NAIT. We would go out around Stony on Saturdays and shoot gophers until we ran out of ammo, then hit the pubs and have a few brews and eat pickled eggs/sauage for supper and do it all over again the next weekend. Great times!

You know, it was still like that up until five or so years ago. Had access to a farm just North of Hwy 16, about 15 minutes from my place, loaded with gophers. Many hours spent there. Then too many city types showing up and buying acreages then sniveling about the shooting etc. Hence started a 45 minute drive to a friends farm by the International airport. Huge farm, no whiners. Perfect until all the gophers croaked. Rumor has it they got hit with some sort of pneumonia type virus.

Last edited:

Snorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems pretty slow in here. We are just about done with winter crops and waiting for spring to come ready.

Also been looking at older 93xx series case tractors. Ran across one with a 24 speed manual. Drove it, don't mind the shifting manual, but just no one around here has one. They all have the power shift. Anyone have experience with them? Is the 24 speed something to steer clear of? Or are they good transmissions and the power shift just took popularity for being able to bang through the gears?

Sent from my STV100-1 Priv

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems pretty slow in here. We are just about done with winter crops and waiting for spring to come ready.

Also been looking at older 93xx series case tractors. Ran across one with a 24 speed manual. Drove it, don't mind the shifting manual, but just no one around here has one. They all have the power shift. Anyone have experience with them? Is the 24 speed something to steer clear of? Or are they good transmissions and the power shift just took popularity for being able to bang through the gears?

Sent from my STV100-1 Priv

I don't think there is anything wrong with them. The power shifts in those tractors were bullet proof. Many ordered power shifts and not so many manual shifts.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just finished peas. Irrigation was really good but dry corners were lucky to make 15bu/ac. Hope to start durum soon but lots of late tillers. Might have to swath.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think we will be doing lots of pre harvest spraying or swathing in cereals this year. All this late rain has late tillers and weeds coming under the canopy.

Top Bottom