Farmer talk

Snorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you guys swath the cereals do you guys shoot 2 rows into one and use a pickup header?

Sent from my STV100-1 Priv

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think we will be doing lots of pre harvest spraying or swathing in cereals this year. All this late rain has late tillers and weeds coming under the canopy.

Just tried straight cutting durum for ****s and giggles. Bone dry on top but too many greens. Wait until this rain is over and then knock it all down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you guys swath the cereals do you guys shoot 2 rows into one and use a pickup header?

Very rarely, only in very thin crops. Most swathers are 25-40 feet so a double swath at say 60 feet wide is too much for the combine to chop and spread if there is a lot of material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn't think of the chaff row. That's a good point. But we always get them on the hills.

I'm maxed over and still not to the steepest stuff.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seen this just south of Killam on the way home from work. Just 9 combines going on one field.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 193

Snorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wheres the 6 bankout's? Lol. That would be a lot of radio traffic.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dug potatoes up this past weekend...first garden at this place. We did Russets, Yukons and reds. Got about 220-250 lbs....so I am posting in farmer thread. LOL.

We don't have a cold room or root cellar, so we bought a used "beverage fridge"....has no freezer. Leave it on the warmest setting and hopefully that will work for potato storage.

Attachments

• 2016spuds.jpg
    2016spuds.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 120

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Dug potatoes up this past weekend...first garden at this place. We did Russets, Yukons and reds. Got about 220-250 lbs....so I am posting in farmer thread. LOL.

We don't have a cold room or root cellar, so we bought a used "beverage fridge"....has no freezer. Leave it on the warmest setting and hopefully that will work for potato storage.

Nice. Gotta doo what one has to doo!

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finished off last night at 3 am, biggest crop year we had had before, worst weather as well, quality not the best on durum, wheat, but lentils, rye, canola peas look good.. True test of ones faith.. Raining like hell today

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finished off last night at 3 am, biggest crop year we had had before, worst weather as well, quality not the best on durum, wheat, but lentils, rye, canola peas look good.. True test of ones faith.. Raining like hell today

It hasn't been fun up here ether. Rain tonight or tomorrow they say. I think the longest run we've had is 5 days

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear you are done Fred. This is an extended harvest for you. HaHa. Yes hard to have faith with 3 or 4 half days and then rain again. Breeze quits at 6pm and to tough to go by 9-10pm. A lot of early nights.

Top Bottom