Farmer talk

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Things are about to get more ugly for Canadian agri crops to China. I was woken up at 3 am by my Chinese client advising China put more restrictions including our peas and most likely wheat and they will expand eventually to 100% all crops. Effective immediately all peas will be quarantined for min 30 days for bacteria testing. They will not allow testing to be done here. What this means is that all containers or bulk ships have to sit intact until testing has been done. Shipping lines will be charging demurrage and detention fees during that period. I know for our peas currently on the water will be usd185 per container per day. This is extremely costly. Chinese ministry is hoping Canadian gov put pressure on trump to drop Huawei charges. Is crazy!!!!!

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Things are about to get more ugly for Canadian agri crops to China. I was woken up at 3 am by my Chinese client advising China put more restrictions including our peas and most likely wheat and they will expand eventually to 100% all crops. Effective immediately all peas will be quarantined for min 30 days for bacteria testing. They will not allow testing to be done here. What this means is that all containers or bulk ships have to sit intact until testing has been done. Shipping lines will be charging demurrage and detention fees during that period. I know for our peas currently on the water will be usd185 per container per day. This is extremely costly. Chinese ministry is hoping Canadian gov put pressure on trump to drop Huawei charges. Is crazy!!!!!
Good gawd this is getting ugly.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Do you think any of those ding-bats in Ottawa even have the faintest idea about running a business. All are career politicians living on government/inherited money. If it were possible to run the country like a business we would be the real envy of the world. They are going to phuck it up so badly, that it will never be what we in western Canada want.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And now for something completely different. I need some advice from some hay land experts. I have a small farm with about 35 acres in hay land. It hasn’t been cut for several years. I’m not ready to bale it yet ( too much other stuff to do) but plan to in a few years. I’ve been keeping the trees from encroaching around the edges but that’s about it for maintenance. I have a haybine that I can cut it with. I’m wanting to know if I should just leave it alone, or cut it down every year and just let it lay there. I’m not interested in letting someone run cattle on it or have someone else hay it. I bought the place for privacy and don’t want anyone else poking around. TIA.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Repost from Creekside Dairy

For the past few weeks the various animal agriculture sectors in our area have been on high alert. We had been warned that vegan activists were planning an “action” or protest on a local farm. No one was sure which farm or even which sector would be targeted. We were nervous. Would we wake up one morning to find our farm, our home taken over by activists, refusing to allow us to go about our day, caring for our animals? What kind of lies or misrepresentations would they broadcast to the world? We are extremely proud of the humane way we care for our cows, of our voluntary SPCA certification. But we know all too well that no matter how well our animals are cared for, it will never be good enough for the activists, who want to see all the animals free and who fight to banish farm animals to extinction.

Yesterday, 200 activists descended on a family farm in Abbotsford, just 45 minutes from our farm. (This hog farm had recently been the target of a PETA trespasser who had accessed their barns at night, recording video. In true PETA fashion, the clips were highly edited before a short segment was released to the world.) The activists took over the farm early Sunday morning, entering the barn illegally, and set up camp. The police were summoned, but the activists refused to leave until the media had been invited to the farm to document the protest and the inside of the barns. The farmers and law enforcement acquiesced and the farmer led a media tour of his facility. The farm’s vet also made a special visit to inspect the animals. After the tour, the activists left the barn and the 35 who had entered the barn were arrested.

Our hearts go out to the farm family targeted by these protesters. The farmers’ distress was highly evident in the videos posted by the activists. And who can blame them? Their home, their farm, their family, the health of their animals, and their integrity are all under attack. And I firmly believe it’s a misguided attack. The Binnendyk family is highly regarded in our local agriculture community. This was proven by the crowd of supporters who came out to the farm to show solidarity with the family. As their vet said yesterday, “This farm is very well recognized in their ability and their level of care and attention to welfare. They have been industry leaders.” But what about the PETA video showing less than ideal conditions, allegedly on this farm? I’ll just say this: PETA has been known to lie and misrepresent information in order to gain traction with the anti-meat crowd and to advance their agenda to end all animal agriculture. The farmer himself, who obviously knows his farm like the back of his hand, has stated that some of the photos could not even have been captured on his farm. I trust this farmer, the vet, and the support of the community far, far more than I would ever believe PETA.

It’s of utmost importance to note that these activists are not interested in improving farm practices. They are not demanding better animal welfare. They don’t care about how animals are treated on farms - whether the farm has top notch animal care or if the treatment of or conditions for animals on a particular farm leave something to be desired. They just want to end all animal agriculture. Period. Farmers, on the other hand, spend their lives making sure their animals are well cared for. Animal welfare - good, compassionate, respectful care for animals - always comes first. These animals are their pride and joy.

These activists base their opinion of animal agriculture on staged YouTube videos or biased documentaries, and they are absolutely, 100% blind to any evidence to the contrary. They claim to care ABOUT animals, but they refuse to believe any input from those of us who care FOR the animals. They won’t hear the voices of those who spend their lives with animals, these farmers who are so immersed in their animals’ lives that they can tell that an animal is feeling a touch under the weather just by watching how it moves and acts. They don’t care about the people who work long, hard hours providing for the animals, who wake up in the middle of the night to help an animal give birth, who fight to stay awake out in the field at midnight, trying to harvest a crop before the rain hits, stressing about providing good quality feed for their herd. Instead, they brand all farmers as animal abusers, and they claim our farms are prisons or factories of exploitation. There really is no reasoning with them.

And so I’d like to conclude with this: please don’t jump to conclusions. The farm is being investigated by the SPCA, and I’m confident that if there are some recommendations for changes, the Binnendyk family will follow through. Farmers are always interested in improving their farms and their practices, if such adjustments are warranted. Remember that PETA and their ilk are not interested in improving farms, they just want to end them. Should you take their propaganda seriously? I think not.

Edited to add: FYI we block all comments with abusive behaviour. For more information on the reasoning behind this, see the pinned post at the top of our page that details the way we have been targeted by activists.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And now for something completely different. I need some advice from some hay land experts. I have a small farm with about 35 acres in hay land. It hasn’t been cut for several years. I’m not ready to bale it yet ( too much other stuff to do) but plan to in a few years. I’ve been keeping the trees from encroaching around the edges but that’s about it for maintenance. I have a haybine that I can cut it with. I’m wanting to know if I should just leave it alone, or cut it down every year and just let it lay there. I’m not interested in letting someone run cattle on it or have someone else hay it. I bought the place for privacy and don’t want anyone else poking around. TIA.

if your going to cut it in swaths, don't leave those swaths on the ground like was mentioned before. You probably should be cutting it to keep the trees and weeds form taking over, go rent a rotary mower.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Buddy of mine has a bunch of JCB equipment. Not sure how it lines up with the rest, but looks like the real deal.

JCB-Fastrac-4000-3000-8000-01jpg.jpg

Last edited:

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put some peas in when the weather was nice. Need to spray pretty soon here but the weather not looking great. The dryland corners are really dry. This last snowstorm did not give us much moisture.

Top Bottom