Everyone should have a copy of this in their 3/4 ton!!!!!!!

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, Ive been doing a lot of poking around trying to figure out exactly what the weight laws are in regards to B.c and sled decks... I have heard of quite a few issues where someone was pulled over for hauling too much weight with their truck.... In B.C its mandatory, Sled Deck=3/4ton... Trailer=3/4 ton. But I did fond a nice little piece of information regarding to OVERLOADING YOUR TRUCKS....

Reason Im searching for info is, I own a 2004 F-25- Super-Cab Fx4 4X4 6.0 Powerstroke Diesel.... Heavy truck yes.... MAX GVWR=8800lbs....
Truck with 1/4tank, sled deck (01 Marathon 8X8) and 2 800 REVS weigh out to 8950lbs..... The truck is not even on its overloads and I'm Overloaded on the GVW side..... Makes no sense, but brings up the question, what about the boys who haul the trailers too??? Even worse.....Hauling Yammies!!!!!

Anyway to get back on track, attached you will see a piece of :

[h=2]Motor Vehicle Act[/h]
[h=2]Motor Vehicle Act Regulations[/h] [includes amendments up to B.C. Reg. 160/2011, September 9, 2011]​
Division 19 — Miscellaneous

[h=4]Overload prohibition[/h] 19.11 (1) Unless operating under the provisions of an overload permit issued under the Commercial Transport Act, no person shall operate or cause to be operated a vehicle that is loaded in such a manner that the gross weight carried by any axle exceeds the gross weight rating for that axle as specified by the vehicle manufacturer, or the gross vehicle weight exceeds the gross vehicle weight rating for that vehicle as specified by the vehicle manufacturer.
(2) The weight distribution of a bus shall be such that not less than 25 per cent of the gross vehicle weight is on the front axle when measured on level ground.
(3) Subsection (1) does not apply to a vehicle

(a) manufactured before January 1, 2001, and

(b) having a gross vehicle weight rating of 5 500 kg or less.

(4) and (5) Repealed. [B.C. Reg. 26/58, s. 19.11 (5).]
[en. B.C. Reg. 448/87, s. 3; am. B.C. Regs. 132/89; 29/97, s. 1; 40/2000, s. 1.]

Hope this helps in your Hauling issues if you have had any in the past..... Print this off and put it in your Glovebox... could save you a lot of time and $$$$$$

Basically states if your GVWR is under 5500 or 12,125lbs, DOT has no real right to stop, impound, or ticket you for Overload...
I have heard of this happening, dont know if its true or not......
Anyway there it is.....

• :D

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The title of this thread should read " any sledders who want to travel to BC overloaded ".... good to know

LOL, though I should have re-written that..... what Im getting at, is with my truck loaded to go to the mountains, it sure dont look overloaded, but already is without even putting fuel in (truck or sleds) and loading gear.....

I havent had any issues persay, but I have heard of stories of poor souls getting their trucks AND sleds impounded for the weekend (pulled over friday) and not even able to enjoy the weekend, cuz sleds still with truck.....

Maybe I looked too far into it, I dunno, Id rather KNOW where the DOT stands when it comes to vehicles 5500kg or less, than personally witnessing my truck get towed away with my sleds if it dont need to....

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hmmm so my chev 2500hd has a gvwr of 9200, and this means i can overload it as much as I want and there will be no tickets because its less than 12,125 lbs ?

makes no sense !! but cool :)

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're f250 is simply overloaded with deck and 2 sleds on the deck and gear, fuel, 2 passengers etc............

Its not just the F-250's or 2500's that will benifit from this, Less hassle.. I have to re weigh my truck because I have others weighing in at 800lbs less than me, with the same options etc.... I very well may not be overloaded..... BUT I'm not the only one that knows that their truck can haul more thatn what its listed and have no issues....

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Good info,,,but if it comes to the insurance side of things,,,,if you are overloaded and chit goes bad ,,are they gonna say" person was over weight and insurance is void"...On my 2500hd Chev,,i am 8,400 lbs with 2 sleds, a deck, and 1/2 tank of fuel and 2 200lb guys in the truck

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hmmm so my chev 2500hd has a gvwr of 9200, and this means i can overload it as much as I want and there will be no tickets because its less than 12,125 lbs ?

makes no sense !! but cool :)

makes sense to me... looks like i can haul a deck on my half ton finally. I know the higher archy within BC would see eye to eye with me:rolleyes:

Gromit

Reaction score

(b) having a gross vehicle weight rating of 5 500 kg or less.[/QUOTE]

What about that little word "and" at the end of point a)? Could it mean that this weight exemption only applies to vehicles manufactured before Jan 1, 2001?

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good info,,,but if it comes to the insurance side of things,,,,if you are overloaded and chit goes bad ,,are they gonna say" person was over weight and insurance is void"...On my 2500hd Chev,,i am 8,400 lbs with 2 sleds, a deck, and 1/2 tank of fuel and 2 200lb guys in the truck

Whats the MAX GVW for your truck???

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

(b) having a gross vehicle weight rating of 5 500 kg or less.
What about that little word "and" at the end of point a)? Could it mean that this weight exemption only applies to vehicles manufactured before Jan 1, 2001?[/QUOTE]

I think THAT would be the case if the Two categories werent seperated by an "A" and "B".... If what your saying is right, should it not be written as

Subsection (1) does not apply to a vehicle manufactured before January 1, 2001, and having a gross vehicle weight rating of 5 500 kg or less.

Being separated like it is leads me to believe its either or......

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IF I'M WRONG GUYS LET ME KNOW, but be nice about it..... no sense in making a guy feel absolutely rediculous over a simple mis-interpretation.....

Really, if I'm wrong,GOOD!!!!!!!! Lets find the right answer for PRIVATE, NON-COMMERCIAL Vehicles.....

FTBeaver

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
busy place

There are currently 15 users browsing this thread. (13 members and 2 guests)

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
busy place

There are currently 15 users browsing this thread. (13 members and 2 guests)

LOL, must be an issue a lot of people run into..... I'm glad its getting some action, makes for a quicker solution to the problem..... BROADCAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the cops turn a blind eye to 3/4 tons with sled decks.
1/2 tons however is different.
I have been pulled over a couple of times, and never had problems, mind you that was 4 years ago.
Insurance could be a big thing though, even if the accident wasn't your fault, if the insured at fault blows that whistle on you, I wouldn't put it past them to use that against you.

Top Bottom