ever been in an avalanche

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been in an avalanche or seen sombody in one

Brought down a small one in Revy years ago. Saw 13 small ones in one day at Crows Nest Pass. Crossed several after the fact at Rockey Point. Been forunate enough not to get swallowed by one.

elephant rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:eek:seen the eyes of 5 people after they triggered one. runuout buried 1 sled right @ the tongue & she ran for her life guess she couldn't start it quick enough,. last year in surgar bowl. raft mnt., clearwater bc.....

Big A

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was in one three years ago by Quartz, four of us and all of us burried along with sleds. Let me tell you, that is the worst feling in the world knowing that your life depends on your friends being able to find you, if they're even still alive, and the last thought before you pass out is "so this is how it's going to end". Luckily for me, one of the guys wasn't burried that bad and was able to free himself, then his brother. Before they even had time to set up a beacon sweep, they say the tip of my glove exposed and dug down to my face and got me breathing before my heart stopped. Thr fourth was at the bottom and was able to create a pocket open to the top and wait for help. By the time we had dug all the sleds out and gotten the two running that weren't completely destroyed and towed down, it was 7pm and getting dark. To add insult to injury, our travel tarps and jerry cans had been stolen from the truck.

This may sound like a situation that would deter someone from the sport, but i see it as an opportunity to make others aware of the dangers and what they can do to prevent such an incident. Our slide was caused by our ignorence towards mother nature and the signs that she had shown us. Eventhough we thought that we had the knowledge and equipment to be safe, we didn't have the training to read the signs.

First of all, there was the feeling of sinking whenever we stopped which is caused by poor snow layer integration. The bottom layer remains powder or corn snow and the top crust is prone to sliding when cut into. Second was the fact that this shute, which always slides, had not broke yet this year. This should have definetely detered us, but instead of turning around, we only thought of all the untouched powder as no one else had been in yet.

Last but not least was human error. We were in a narrow shute and had two people on the hill digging out a sled, one climbing and the other at the base. Always try to keep youself and others clear of a possible slide path. Also included in the human error side is the lack of training and propper equipment. I have since been to an actual avalanche awareness and safety course, I use a snowpulse airbag system for the worst case situation and I also encourage the guys I ride with to do a becon excercise on a regular basis because if you don't know how to use you're equipment, it can't save you or your friends.

I don't know what type of info on avalanches you were after, but the more people are aware that they can happen to normal people like me and you, the better. I know this a terrible year especially as far as deaths and the media are concerned, but with the propper training and awareness, you can lower the risk significantly, enough to take that risk, that's a personal decision.

Thanks to those who took the time to read this, and remember, training can save lives.
BigA

Reactions: GRD

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope thankfully,Ive seen afew and thats close enough for my liking,I took the 2 day course this year and learned about all the bad stuff We used to do,now Im way more aware.Its one of those things were you hope it never happens but it sure is nice to know that you know what to do if it happens

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
In answer to the question, no and no.

Saying that, BigA provided an awesome response with personal feelings, technical information, and fantastic advice. If you're going to ride in the mountains, get the proper training, equipment, and then put it to good use. It is not very smart to have all your ducks in order and then do stupid things as Mother Nature can be relentless.

We have not ridden much less this winter than previous winters but we have ridden differently; mostly the trees. The PWL (persistant weak layer) is still evident in many places this winter (normal slide areas that haven't released yet this year). The snow hasn't been heavy/deep enough to release naturally but the time will come and it won't be my sled that releases the monster. The AC bulletins for our area (Southern Rockies) have said all winter that the releases will be huge and possibly fatal. The difference in snow quality from Fernie to Elkford is amazing with a decent base in Fernie to no base in Elkford. I don't know what the latest storm has done (Sunday) as I haven't been out yet but in Elkford the snow was deep and heavy with no evident rain.

In the areas that have released there isn't enough new snow covering the nuggets to even think about riding and in those areas that haven't released all winter, they are just waiting for a trigger. It makes me shudder when I see sled tracks up some of the chutes this winter. A sleeping giant that will possibly be unforgiving.

My condolences to all who have lost friends and loved ones this winter.

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been in a couple, seen quite a few, helped dig people out and helped recover some bodies helping search and rescue in Northern BC. The couple that I was in were very preventable, and I believe the majority are. Both times that I was involved in slides we ignored the signs, just like Big A, and went for the fresh powder rush.

I believe that there is some key things that have been mentioned many times, but can't been mentioned enough. Carry probes, shovels, beacons and avalanche packs (if you can afford a sled you can afford one of these, if you have to pull the ripcord it has paid for itself a thousand times over). Practice using this equipment, learn all you can about avalanches and be aware at all times when you are riding in these areas.

I think the most important point to make is if you are getting bad signs from the snowpack believe them and have the willpower to leave the untracked hillside alone. Go play in a safer area and make it home because there are people there who need you to come back safe and sound.

Cheers;
Shane

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i did this 2 years ago...very scary

thankgod i had a good runout and whatnot

where it broke is pretty much my mark

didnt have time to realize it broke infront of me so i could have just slameed the brake and let it go.

instead i blew right through it over a wave of snow about 15 feet in the air landed and got the fck outa there.

doesnt look to bad..but its a big face and about 4ft of heavy wet snow at the bottom it was end of april..

enough to mess a guy up

kjb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple of vids you might find interesting. The avalanche from hell is a classic "step down" avy. It is what can happan when you (700 lbs sled & rider) is enough weight to trigg a smaller avy which is then enough weight to trigger a bigger one.. rather humbleing.. The avylung vid is one heck of a great marketing tool.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HxxzfUfFGk[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C2eWRvZgKU[/media]

Black08Brute

Reaction score
Yes

Had to dig a buddy out.

It had snowed 3 ft the previous day and we knew the avy conditions were going to be up. So we decided not to climb the hills that we normally do and just play in the medows. Well my buddy started down a creek and had to cross it a few time because it was still open. There were three of us sitting on a ledge resting and watching, all the suddon we looked up and an avy started about a 1/4 of a mile up and was headed straight for him. He didn't even see it coming and hit him doing about 45 miles an hour. Drug him about 200ft and was buried 3 ft under on his side with one arm in the up right position. Turned the beacons on and started to search. It took about 4 mins to find him and about 3 to dig. These beacons do save lives, we got within two feet and looked down a saw a tip on his middle fingure.

By the time we got him out his skin was already turning grey but he was in a hurry to get out of that hole.

But it did take us an hour and a half to find the sled which was 6 ft down.

Scary stuff forsure.

Sorry for the spelling mistakes:beer:

bucknbc

Reaction score
1km north of Mica at the east end of the ridge,north slope. Dave was 2/3 upwhen it slid. Kept it pinned and dropped onto and dug into the base. Came down quite fast on the slick suface(screaming like a school girl:d) into a large pile of snow at the bottom. Then decided it was miller time:beer:

Attachments

• 100_1547_1.jpg
    100_1547_1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 100_1548 (Medium) (2).jpg
    100_1548 (Medium) (2).jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 48

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1km north of Mica at the east end of the ridge,north slope. Dave was 2/3 upwhen it slid. Kept it pinned and dropped onto and dug into the base. Came down quite fast on the slick suface(screaming like a school girl:d) into a large pile of snow at the bottom. Then decided it was miller time:beer:

Good pic you can see how shinny the next layer is

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple of vids you might find interesting. The avalanche from hell is a classic "step down" avy. It is what can happan when you (700 lbs sled & rider) is enough weight to trigg a smaller avy which is then enough weight to trigger a bigger one.. rather humbleing.. The avylung vid is one heck of a great marketing tool.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HxxzfUfFGk[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C2eWRvZgKU[/media]

avalanche from hell. Not a chance in hell of surviviing that one. Avalung of not.
Avalung vid. very scary. I think that I would probably feak out

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Started a slide in Revy(Boulder) four years ago and had one stop 75 yards in front of us in paradise (Blue River) last year

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Yes, this past weekend and it was not good. Its the worst experience you can ever have, your totally helpless. I managed to run it out, I pulled my ABS first and hit the throttle. I was on the bottom flat area and it was flowing almost uphill, running underneath my sled pinning me to the handlebars and my legs in tight. Its like time has stopped for a second and everything slows down. You get hit like a big truck just smashed into you and is pushing you foward with all its force. Then the adrelene rush kicks in after so you can try to save your buddies if any are involved. Avalanche training is a must, I just took the course and it does teach you where you should and should be but it teaches you how to deal with one as well. Unfortunately the other party I was with did not make it out alive. We were actually on a base at the bottom of the slope and not on the slope and just drove in there to see what was there. The rest of this is on here under fallen angel

Top Bottom