etec turbo videos in some sweet conditions

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had the etec out a few times this last week in crowsnest and carbondale, conditions were some of the best i have been in yet this year, we had a great time and a few videos to show spool up and response, first day did 68miles on a tank and second day 57 without the low fuel light comming on, 1800 miles boosted total, track speeds of 64+ at 7 lbs boost
FILE0017 - YouTube
FILE0016 - YouTube
FILE0019.MOV - YouTube

BIGHORN1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well just being brutally honest here guys, there was no 64km/hr track speed in these 3 vids. no offense bud as you have a sweet sled but to be honest i could have ridden a plain old mxz 440 anywhere you went so i am not sure how we get an idea of how an e-tec turbo works from this.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well just being brutally honest here guys, there was no 64km/hr track speed in these 3 vids. no offense bud as you have a sweet sled but to be honest i could have ridden a plain old mxz 440 anywhere you went so i am not sure how we get an idea of how an e-tec turbo works from this.

I thought the same thing when looking in the 1st vid until you look down the hill from above. That is a steep hill! Good luck with your 440 there Tucker Hibbert.............

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great videos. Was your friend from Idaho out with you? Would love to hear what he thinks of the etec turbo!!

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Tucker Hibert has ridden were fredw was I know i have and video does not do justice the hills in the crowsnest carbondale area are steep and with this last snow we just got DEEEEEEEP!!! that hill is nasty creek bed with super steep walls and with the 2 feet of powder or more we recieved there is no way your 440 would have even made it close

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that last vid, is it the chute off barnes?? if so i know that hill, that vid does nothing for the climb.... going up the side of a chute is very steep. 440... mayby in may.

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought the same thing when looking in the 1st vid until you look down the hill from above. That is a steep hill! Good luck with your 440 there Tucker Hibbert.............

Yuppers, steep and deep there! That 440 MXZ will be found in the spring ha-ha

BIGHORN1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for the record i dont ride a 440 and you can say what you want, i have rode the area and i am still not seeing no 64 kmh track speed here.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for the record i dont ride a 440 and you can say what you want, i have rode the area and i am still not seeing no 64 kmh track speed here.

If your used to 22km track speed then how are you going to know how fast 64 looks like? Lol.

Bounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Met a guy at Renshaw twice this season with an E-tech turbo. What a sweet sled, he did it up at Edson Doo with the turbo out of BC. He added a three inch track at 162. Again very impressed with what I saw, maybe do my 2013....

omullinger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fredw, have you had any issues at all with the turbo set up? Im thinking about putting one in my etec over summer. What else did you put in it or just a turbo kit and what brand did you use?

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i added the turbo after 250 miles on the sled back in 2011, there were a few growing pains off the start, and no one at aerocharger really new more than what i did, so i blew the first set of reeds after 2 days riding, and had to do my own r&d to find something better, found out that the turbo boyseen reeds worked but at the exspense of low end response, then cut up and doubble stock reeds on the outsides, they worked good but finnally ended up with tdr reeds that now are still in the sled after 1000 miles

also had somewhat a laggy throttle response of the start, and found it out to be intercooler restrictions, and once i removed the intercooler it ran much better, and charge temps were still ok

final change i did was install the cold air intake, what allowed cold outside air rather than underhood hot air, this made response better yet and added a fair bit of power, from droped charge temps and less chance of detonation

turbo and airbox have been not touched and work well, no exhaust or intake plugging in deep snow

there has been some codes from rave valves postions, but a little tweaking and they are gone

i have went threw two exhaust senors on the muffler, but since have rissen sensor location and its been running good

so all in all its been first year issues and now with the bugs worked out of kit it has been running great, and motor seams to be handling it well

been running boost around the 6 to 8lbs, since that is all the skid can handle, but recently bought a new skid and plan to take it to 9.5, its really all the power a guy needs and with the three inch track, a real handfull to hang onto. and still very rideable in the trees

omullinger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks, If I do end up getting the turbo I may give you a shout for some pointers. I talked to a guy with the aero on his rmk, and he said when he was having problems they werent much help either.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Met a guy at Renshaw twice this season with an E-tech turbo. What a sweet sled, he did it up at Edson Doo with the turbo out of BC. He added a three inch track at 162. Again very impressed with what I saw, maybe do my 2013....

The turbo kits that riderz in edson have been installing are working good. They are using TSS kits with the boost it box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Well I didn't see 64 mph track speed either because there was no vid shots of the speedo. But I did see lots of ground speed in Fred's vids. Just for a heads up stock sleds are in the 40-50 mph track speed. Big bores are in the mid 50 mph range and 800 turbos are in the mid 60 range.

K45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I didn't see 64 mph track speed either because there was no vid shots of the speedo. But I did see lots of ground speed in Fred's vids. Just for a heads up stock sleds are in the 40-50 mph track speed. Big bores are in the mid 50 mph range and 800 turbos are in the mid 60 range.

Well if anyone has any doubt about FredW,s track speed maybe get ahold of Stingslikeabee out of Idaho heard he rides a fair bit with Fred :)

Top Bottom