etec turbo videos in some sweet conditions

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too bad fred ....... I declare this myth ....... BUSTED. heehee.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well maybe lenny you need to get out with it and compare to your 35mph track speed pro. the pull off of turtle was steeper than ch!t, and four inches of snow, lol.... tought to beat the keyboard riders

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well maybe post that video then, not another one of you drag racing uphill on set up snow. Like 572 said, you stopped a couple times on the way up, we've all tried that rookie move in deep snow before, only works out if you're on hero snow. Quit blowing air up everyones shorts and telling them its a hurricane fred, from the videos you've posted and the stories you tell, evryone can see who the keyboard hero is, the rest of us are gonna keep people guessing. Not you tho, you put up videos. No wonder the lugs are all blowing off your 3 in, most people run them in powder, like maxwell said his and a couple others are fine, well guess what fred ... they ride in powder, not hardpack, hmmmm, could that be it.
Hey, suggestion for ya, try it on the steep sides of the cypress area this summer, imagine the track speeds you'll be able to report.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how people don't believe track speeds above 60 mph on a 800 turbo runnin a 3" is not possible. I've rode a 2012 pro 174 3" and I was getting 66mph track speed with a silber turbo on it. And this was a flip you over backwards steep pull in deep pow.
Track speed is important and knowing when to look at it is just as important. My dealer running a 2012 etec with a TSS turbo and a 162 3" is getting the same track speed as the pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well maybe post that video then, not another one of you drag racing uphill on set up snow. Like 572 said, you stopped a couple times on the way up, we've all tried that rookie move in deep snow before, only works out if you're on hero snow. Quit blowing air up everyones shorts and telling them its a hurricane fred, from the videos you've posted and the stories you tell, evryone can see who the keyboard hero is, the rest of us are gonna keep people guessing. Not you tho, you put up videos. No wonder the lugs are all blowing off your 3 in, most people run them in powder, like maxwell said his and a couple others are fine, well guess what fred ... they ride in powder, not hardpack, hmmmm, could that be it.
Hey, suggestion for ya, try it on the steep sides of the cypress area this summer, imagine the track speeds you'll be able to report.

My 3" on my stock etec started loosing lugs at 500 mile and so did maxwells at least I remember him posting that somewhere. I rode powder and was carefull on the trail. Btw I don't know fredw at all never met him.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would those drivers be larger than stock with that chaincase? Or same

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

Is that question directed at me.? The pro was running 3.00 pitch so it's slightly larger than stock so actual track speed is higher than speedo. The etec was using 7t 3.00 but speedo track speed was over 70 mph. The number I gave was corrected track speed. My stock etec was high 40's to low 50's but have to take about 5mph off the speedo reading to get the corrected value for the 7t drivers. My etec now has the stock track on it. Had to send it in for warrenty, I won't be doing another 3" until I see a improvement in the durability.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Caper11, I don't think anyone is saying that it isn't being done but that some sleds that are doing these these kind of track speeds in selected videos don't look that impressive. Other videos yes!! Doesn't matter which brand as both are impressive when both are set up right and running as they should.
I just don't think Freddies videos are that impressive for all the hype that he talks.
Others that have been posted yes, very impressive. To those folks,good job on the set up and all the work that they have done to dial them in as it will make things alot easier for others that are on the fence about 2 stroke turbos.

I don't understand how people don't believe track speeds above 60 mph on a 800 turbo runnin a 3" is not possible. I've rode a 2012 pro 174 3" and I was getting 66mph track speed with a silber turbo on it. And this was a flip you over backwards steep pull in deep pow.
Track speed is important and knowing when to look at it is just as important. My dealer running a 2012 etec with a TSS turbo and a 162 3" is getting the same track speed as the pro.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just don't think Freddies videos are that impressive for all the hype that he talks.

X2 - would like to see that sled running in same conditions against NM's sled to make the claims being made here. Honestly these vids looked like a stocker when you compare them to vids from Yamafest a few weeks back and how fast the TSS crew and NM were coming up those hills on boosted 2 smokes.

NM - second sled up (0:44s) - one steep chute boost it sleds in irmens arm - YouTube
NM climbing in the SB - sure its packed but there's no comparison for ground speed to other vids posted here - he's moving! Yamafest 2012 Boost It Turbo over Sugar Bowl - YouTube

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What we need to see is Fred's climbs filmed by someone else other than his helmet cam. Its possible that the speed we interpret watching the contrasting vids are different, if you know what I mean? Go watch a Nascar race on TV and then go to the race track and stand down by the track. The speed feeling is not the same. Just throwing that out there. Lol.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
K, not trying to beat this to death, but the track speed thing, you guys can debate it, me , I'm not commenting on the speed cause I can't really tell nor do I care, I'm referring more to the lack of snow in most of those videos. You can see old tracks in most of the climbs, and theres most often not a trench left more than a few inches. In that kinda snow everything works well, the higher HP of the Doo will shine, but put the "long track, deep lug, lightweight, turboed, deep snow machine in deep snow....... then compare. Most of his videos seem to be hero snow so go buy a 137 or 144 and you'll get even more speed. Not really my idea of fun factor in the mountains, as I said, Drag Racer.

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Caper11, I don't think anyone is saying that it isn't being done but that some sleds that are doing these these kind of track speeds in selected videos don't look that impressive. Other videos yes!! Doesn't matter which brand as both are impressive when both are set up right and running as they should.
Others that have been posted yes, very impressive. To those folks,good job on the set up and all the work that they have done to dial them in as it will make things alot easier for others that are on the fence about 2 stroke turbos.

Ok I get yah. The thing I find with vids shot is that it doesn't look impressive at all, when it's reviewed. I have vid of the climb I did on that pro turbo that lightning1000 built. It's not a thunderstruck climb but it was short steep and deep, but when i reviewed it it didnt look that great. Plus I've also seen some vids on here that have been sped up a little when dubbed. You'll notice it by how fast the tach needle moves, but you'll never hear it because music was added.

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just posted some vids for comedic comparison only, let's leave it at that. Personally, I think measuring one output variable like track speed and using it as the proverbial "performance yardstick" as your measuring tool is completely wrong. Drag racers out east have track speeds way higher than these vids, does that mean their sleds will be amazing in the hills too? Snow conditions play a huge role - If you hit an icy patch on the trail and get a 70 mph track speed does it mean you have as much power as a turbo suddenly? c'mon now......

We can talk all day about track speed and pin weight to prove more power...I guess (you really wouldn't expect a blower sled to have less pin weight/gearing/track speed than a stocker would you?...)......but your sled still might suck at climbing because of suspension set up, attack angle, track, etc etc. Increasing one or two variables doesn't mean its the whole package. I used to get lots of wheel speed on my dirt bike, but kept flipping over backwards....so I made the bike longer. See what I'm sayin'? ;)

Attachments

• July 13 023 compress.jpg
    July 13 023 compress.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 184

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
trackspeed has to be taken on a loaded climb. example would be a hill where you are losing ground speed as you get higher. not in a rock hard chute where you could be gaining ground speed as you go higher. the moment where your track speed remains stable is a good indication of your track speed. i think you can use it as an indicator. my 880 makes 8pmh more trackspeed than my stock sled. and this has been proven on all sorts of hills and snow. its consistant as long as the sled is in a loaded climb not blowing over the top at 80mph on hero snow.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best way to see the difference between Fred's setup and Neil's is to have them on the same hill at the same time and see first hand head to head. That would settle it once and for all. But.........................................................i'm betting that won't happen. HaHa.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
trackspeed has to be taken on a loaded climb. example would be a hill where you are losing ground speed as you get higher. not in a rock hard chute where you could be gaining ground speed as you go higher. the moment where your track speed remains stable is a good indication of your track speed. i think you can use it as an indicator. my 880 makes 8pmh more trackspeed than my stock sled. and this has been proven on all sorts of hills and snow. its consistant as long as the sled is in a loaded climb not blowing over the top at 80mph on hero snow.

BTW nice sig. Lmao!

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best way to see the difference between Fred's setup and Neil's is to have them on the same hill at the same time and see first hand head to head. That would settle it once and for all. But.........................................................i'm betting that won't happen. HaHa.

Would be sweet if it did happen........solve a lot of unanwsered question's.

Top Bottom