Etec is like a timex.....just keeps ticking away!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wtf happened there? No post. Anyway I would ask for the new recoil as well from your dealer. Once you take the retainer clip off the post they are never the same again it seems.

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
jt dont u have an e tech???? dont they claim it'll start first pull every time? my r starts first pull with them nice new dual ring pistons in er everytime...

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine starts 1st time all the time, unless I am bagged from all the deep snow. I hope it snows soon need another ride.

Summitizer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the old 1000 was the same it had no gas in the crank to mix with the oil. Gas is a great carrier of oil to all parts of your crank. especially the rod bearings and thats where my 1000 calved. you can run premix all you want it is not going to get to the crank. the etec is no different just oil and air in the crank. i have always added oil to my tank on my ptek with no issues. the cat motors are the only ones that inject into the cranks and those you could add oil if you wish. i am a little cautious of the new engines in that regard. i like gas and oil in my crank.....time will tell..

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Boy I can't believe how many people are afraid to do maintenance to their recoil.
Just pull it off and clean off the excess grease...Not rocket surgury, and will take less time than driving to the dealer, dropping it off and back.

ya thats what it feels like,,, maybe way too much grease,,, over night it went almost the whole way in lol,, so I gave her a few pulls and it sits out...

so will they slam a new one in or take it apart ya think?????,,, I dont have e sart and its not easy starting off the clutch on a cold engine after towing 3 hours at -20 some days...

all my other recoils been great unless you pull them too far out....

sled rips though!!!!

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just push my little button and it starts. Pulled my rope 2 times in 6000 Km no problem still works like new. But its not a etech just a 800R

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
jt dont u have an e tech???? dont they claim it'll start first pull every time? my r starts first pull with them nice new dual ring pistons in er everytime...

ya buddy I agree they doo start first pull every time even after sit n upside down for 5 minutes,,, thats all good....

Boy I can't believe how many people are afraid to do maintenance to their recoil.
Just pull it off and clean off the excess grease...Not rocket surgury, and will take less time than driving to the dealer, dropping it off and back.

so I have been out 3 days? every 3 days I get to come home and pull my recoil apart and shoot the retainer clip accross my garage? thats why I bought a 2012 sled?

A recoil shouldnt require any mainternace as you call it for at least 3 years or 5000kms,, I have proabaly started my sled or pulled that recoil under 50 times,, thats just chit quality if ya ask me,,, not someone afraid to do maintenace,, wouldnt you agree? maintenace on a sled with 300kms ??? really???,, track tight chain tight lets ride!!! if I want maintenace I will buy another 08....

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i wouldnt even be twisting a screwdriver on a sled with 3 years warrranty until the day its up. unless your dealer is a long haul. besides most people work on there own stuff then end up making it worse and then the dealer wont even cover it LOL.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You do it once and do it properly, I bet that you would not even have an issue until its time to change out the rope. Mine wasn't engaging when it was cold out. I pulled it off, wiped the excess grease off of it and it has worked flawlessly since. If you yard on the rope before you engage the pall, it will not last either.

I owned a 98, '00, '05, and '08 and never ever had a recoil issue. I know some that have had countless problems. Maybe I am lucky, maybe not:confused: Probably not.

ya buddy I agree they doo start first pull every time even after sit n upside down for 5 minutes,,, thats all good....

so I have been out 3 days? every 3 days I get to come home and pull my recoil apart and shoot the retainer clip accross my garage? thats why I bought a 2012 sled?

A recoil shouldnt require any mainternace as you call it for at least 3 years or 5000kms,, I have proabaly started my sled or pulled that recoil under 50 times,, thats just chit quality if ya ask me,,, not someone afraid to do maintenace,, wouldnt you agree? maintenace on a sled with 300kms ??? really???,, track tight chain tight lets ride!!! if I want maintenace I will buy another 08....

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2..........JohnI, you didn't buy the ES because of the extra weight? Or you didn't want your buddies to think you were a pussy?

It is sure nice to push the button......27th day and only 1200 km and still ticking away......just saying

hahha I need the work out,, but really it starts first pull every time....

p.s. I have a freeride I got an extra 35lbs already lol Im not afraid of that lil battery....

March is coming!!!!!!!!!!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
hahha I need the work out,, but really it starts first pull every time....

p.s. I have a freeride I got an extra 35lbs already lol Im not afraid of that lil battery....

March is coming!!!!!!!!!!

It is snowing great today in the eastern Koot's; an inch already and the forecast is for up to 6".

Working on new video from the western Koot's ride; 5 days of over the bar, untouched powder every day! It was sweet.

Dmf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
all you guys with recoil problems there is too much grease and when it gets cold it hangs up. un bolt it and use carb cleaner and compressed air, get as much as you can out

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes doug but you said it was ticking=not good, add oil =good

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
yes doug but you said it was ticking=not good, add oil =good

I was looking for you the last few days.......thought I may see you on the TV with a beer in your hand at the Scotties! There was free beer there, wasn't there??????

I thought about the "ticking" when I made the topic and said "some smart-a**" is gonna take this to task! And sure enough 4 pages later, good ol' imdoo'n jumps in.......

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks doug i'm feelin the love.
icon10.gif

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just about 1000 miles on my '12 this winter. I can't recall how many days riding that has been.

The entire low voltage issue was traced right back to the hi/low beam switch on the X and freerides. Replaced the switch on a few sleds, no more issue. Not that I have ever used my highbeam anyways so I might just use a one position switch. On. :)

Just keeps ticking away is one way to put it. WOT Braap is how mine runs best. Having the full exhaust done really wakes these sleds up. They already run a little rich with the map, the large pipe makes these things work noticably better than a stock sled.

I never even bothered with the clutching. It has its shortcomings, mostly in the mid range and is a bit of a dog to get through it, but works well.

bring on the March snow!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was looking for you the last few days.......thought I may see you on the TV with a beer in your hand at the Scotties! There was free beer there, wasn't there??????

I thought about the "ticking" when I made the topic and said "some smart-a**" is gonna take this to task! And sure enough 4 pages later, good ol' imdoo'n jumps in.......

not sure about free but there was beer and a bevy of fine ladies, although they kept throwing rocks for some reason, and they seemed to be aimed at me. huh what's with that?

Top Bottom