Engine Problem..

PowderSlayer

Reaction score
I have a decision to make and would like some input. I just rebuilt the top end of my 2003 vertical escape 800, I was out riding for 20 minutes today and the engine piled up on me. I have 2883 km on this crank and it sounds and feels like this is the issue and don't know if I should either buy a new engine or re-build the old one. Just don't know if it was due to the new top end on the old crank or if it was lack of oil to the crank... Anyone suggestions are welcome.

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your handy with the tools, (sounds like you did the top end) I would rebuild it as long as you did not knock a hole in the bottom cases... there are after market options for heavier cranks for that engine, but I rebuilt a couple and just replaced it with Polaris rebuild crank and had good luck with them. All rebuilt cranks have a heavier PTO bearing on them nowadays. When was the last time you changed the little belt for the oil pump/water pump drive? I usually changed it about every 1200 miles or once a year. That little belt failing, knocked out the majority of the 800's that I've seen down!!! Hope this helps

Last edited:

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great stuff Dazzler. I would have to agree with the above points. I ran a modded Edge for several years and I never got it right intel I rebuilt it the 3rd time. One thing I learned...every time you tear her down replace the water pump belt and carry a spare. Also don't just change the top end. Tear your bottom end apart at the same time. Bearings are cheap. Complete rebuilds are not. I had the best luck with the Adrian Bernard wide bearing PTO crank. Secret tip is to replace the mag side bearing with the factory polaris bearing though. Also order yourself up a engine plate from fastrax and put the SLP torque arm on. Hammer the oil to it and it will last a long long time.

Did you change the top end for any particular reason? When you installed the last crank did you drill out the hole in the case to provide extra oil?

Top Bottom