engine power reduced?

rmksledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what kind of stupid set up does the 08 gmc 2500 duramax have for an intake! the other day it was snowing and the engine light came on and never worried to much of it then awile down the rode we pulled over for a break. then went to go again and topped out at 40 kmh and it said reduced engine power.

we idled it into vermillion at the dealer and he asked if we had a winter front on. all we hade was silver insulation behind the grill. and he said we need to put the gm one on to stop the snow from going into the intake. when we looked at the air filter the box was full of snow and the filter was froze solid

whats the deal with this? anyone else have this problem?

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow that is wierd. i would think an intake would help because some of them are pretty much in a box. your dad can't get a winterfront, that would cover his grill.

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is a bullitin out to address this problem,bltn #08-06-04-054 the dealer should have done this for you as it is a common issue as well as map sensor freeze up which ther is another bltn go back with the bltn# and have them fix it.they sould have checked for these as rule 1 in gm strat based diag is check for bltn' .get a new dealer

swabby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
happened to me at pincher when i was headed to crowsnest last weekend -37 ,idled into pincher poped the hood and tried to pump up fuel filter and would not pressure up ,added a slug of howes conditioner the free up freezing fuel system,that worked and then dpf needed to regen so i headed into crowsnest and havnt had a problem since,i fueled up in lethbridge at the esso and must have got some water in fuel:d

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New truck will come with a winter front. The bulletin to fix snow build up in the filter housing is to drill 5 large holes into another filter lid for winter and keeping the other for summer.Get a aftermarket air intake for it. Have lots of problems with MAP sensors freezing here on trucks with no winter fronts installed,none of the trucks with winter fronts have problems.

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats a great feature went to pass someone just before christmas on the highway when mine went into reduce power and your just pulling back in front of someone.(Great felling)Mine has done it three times once with a after market intake and twice with the stock intake.First time was with out the weather front on and twice with it on.Got to say these new trucks are no cold weather vehicles.Love the truck hate the electronics on it.If I get time this weekend I'll stuff the after market intake back in and test it.The dealer told me to put it back in bacause there having to much trouble with the stock ons freezing up.With the after market there oiled and its harder for ice and snow to get throw and with the pre filter on its alittle better yet.

rmksledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya took the gm witerfront off cuz it was overheating. but it seems to be good when its not snowing but when it does we just throw it back on. they are suprisingly easy to put on

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is also a bulletin to relocate the MAP sensor after the intake air heater,this will stop the MAP from freezing.

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya took the gm witerfront off cuz it was overheating.

Really!??? This is a new one to me,might be something you want the dealer to check on.I've known people with the older d-max trucks who ran them all year with no problems,sounds to me that something is wrong with that truck.

IMSICK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
backcountryrebels.com
Since I got my 08 chev duramax..... Nothing but problems with it going into reduced engine power mode....

1st time was way back just on the other side of hell in Pink Mountain. Right after the little chinese man smiled and chatted me up as he was filling me up with a 50/50 diesel - water mix..... was that a long trip out to phone service to get towed.

since then...... I have gotten reprogrammed a few times, and the truck has gone into REP mode many.... many times for various reasons. Including plugged air filter.

Most of the time, there is no apparent reason..... engine light comes on, then the retarded dinging right before the display shows those hated three words.

Mine also does it frequently when my clean exhaust filter warning is up.... my truck idles alot, and of course...... it wont go into re-gen during the 300km trip to the lease, but five minutes after I get there...... ding, ding, ding!!!!

Shut it off..... disconnect both batteries and let it sit for 5 ~ 10 minutes.... clears the REP causing codes and on you go. Most of the time........ until the day a rocker arm nut comes off, valves fall out, a piston ends up in the completely wrong place - but your truck will still sit and idle in the chev dealership yard for the next 16 hours until they shut it off for you and call you to let you know you need a new engine. Zero power..... but never missed a beat idling!!!!!

sirzones

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
GM does not give out free accesories,they put the winter fronts in all there duramax trucks because it is needed.
If it was just for looks they would charge everyone for it.:d
Hair dryer or heat gun works to fix map sensor code p0106 if that ever happens after air filter gets blocked with snow.:beer:

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
GM does not give out free accesories,they put the winter fronts in all there duramax trucks because it is needed.
If it was just for looks they would charge everyone for it.:d
Hair dryer or heat gun works to fix map sensor code p0106 if that ever happens after air filter gets blocked with snow.:beer:

$65 000 truck
$2000 generator
$25 hair dryer
= :rant:
I've had my weather front on and its done it twice to me.Looks like a I should invent something to mount the hair dryer in line to blow off the sensor .:d

polar sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what kind of stupid set up does the 08 gmc 2500 duramax have for an intake! the other day it was snowing and the engine light came on and never worried to much of it then awile down the rode we pulled over for a break. then went to go again and topped out at 40 kmh and it said reduced engine power.

we idled it into vermillion at the dealer and he asked if we had a winter front on. all we hade was silver insulation behind the grill. and he said we need to put the gm one on to stop the snow from going into the intake. when we looked at the air filter the box was full of snow and the filter was froze solid

whats the deal with this? anyone else have this problem?

I had a smiler problem with my dodge in zama , I didnt figure driving it across the lake in a blizzrd would be a problem till the gimp mode light came on and i opened the hood to find my air box completley sucked in , Then it took me hours to limp it to high level were the dealer said just put a new air filter in , and it will be fine yeah right , need that ecm reader to reset the computer so 300 bucks later and a whole day wasted i was on my way, i guess they make these truck for down south not canada , wonder if the guys running these new vehiles in the sand plug them up like we do in the snow , just my thought

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't find the bulliten,but there is a PIP.

#PIP4307G: MAP Sensor Icing Or P0106 - keywords absolute inlet intake LBZ LLY LMM manifold mode power reduce reduced restricted restriction sensor SES tube water wet - (Jan 6, 2009)

Subject: MAP Sensor Icing or P0106

Models: 2006-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic

2006-2007 GMC Sierra Classic

2007-2009 Chevrolet Silverado

2007-2009 GMC Sierra

with 6.6L Diesel Engine (RPOs LBZ, LLY, or LMM)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to include the warranty labor operation number and loctite part number. Please discard PIP4307F.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
You may encounter a customer concern of reduced engine power, SES light, or P0106.

The P0106 may be the result of condensation that has frozen inside of the MAP sensor. The P0106 will only occur in areas with ambient temperatures at or below freezing for a long period of time.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If there is a DTC P0106 set inspect the MAP sensor inlet. If there is condensation, water, or an oily substance in the MAP sensor inlet, a modification to the MAP sensor inlet will be necessary. This repair will extend the MAP sensor inlet farther into the air intake tube.

This photo is of a complete retrofitted MAP sensor, and the original MAP sensor.

MAP Sensor Retrofit Instructions

Remove the MAP sensor, clean the MAP sensor with soap and water (certain cleaners may damage the sensor), and make sure it is completely dry.

A MAP sensor extension will need to be fabricated (see photo below). A 1.5 inch (38 m/m) length of 3/8 inch (9.5 m/m) steel brake line (or fuel line) tubing will be used for the MAP sensor extension. One end of the brake line will need to be flared, and the other end will be cut at a 30 to 45 degree angle. The flare on the pipe will ensure the pipe cannot fall into air intake. The angled cut on the inlet side of the pipe will help keep the sensor from freezing and skewing MAP sensor readings. Cut and flare the pipe using Kent Moore brake line repair kit J45405 or equivalent.

Remove the MAP sensor to intake pipe rubber seal. This seal will be modified to fit with new MAP sensor extension. Using a suitable tool, cut the seal leaving two or three ribs, and the beveled end of seal (inboard side of seal) intact. The inboard piece of this seal will be reused.

This step will show how to affix the pipe to the sensor. It's IMPERATIVE the pipe is oriented correctly before it is glued. The open side of the angle needs to face away from the air flow(the open side of the angle towards rear of vehicle, see first photo with completed sensor) With the map sensor laying flat, put a coating of two part epoxy (Loctite part number LT-81501 or equivalent) around the map sensor port (barb fitting). Laying the sensor flat will ensure no epoxy enters the MAP sensor port. Clean off any excess epoxy.

Reinstall inboard portion of MAP sensor seal (modified in step 2) after the epoxy has dried.

Install the new retrofitted MAP sensor on the vehicle. Test drive the vehicle to check for sensor leaks and proper MAP sensor operation. Return the vehicle to the customer for evaluation.

Note: If the vehicle has experienced snow ingestion into the air cleaner please see the newest version of bulletin 08-06-04-054 (for 2007-2009 vehicles) or PI number PIP4545 (for 2006-2007 vehicles).

Top Bottom