engine bogs in powder

motomike450r

Reaction score
The last two rides I have been on my mm 700 started bogging down when really tipping it on its sides in deep powder. After cutting out my sway bar and stiffening the front I am happy to report that I can really tip it over now, but WTH with the bogging? When I cleared the snow from the vents it ran fine for a little while. Any suggestions?
Thanks as always, Mike.:beer::d:beer:

Tiny pro-x

Reaction score
Check to make sure your exhaust is sealed up at the joints and seal the outlet threw the belly pan is seal with silicone mine did this once

kyle019

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
make sure your exhaust system is sealed, also check your pipe over for cracks. the smallest crack/leak can make it bog. my sled had the smallest crack in the pipe and when you're in deep pow and on the gas it can sputter and bog out at high rpm's.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the mm series but it sounds like with the powder you are shutting off the air intake. As soon as you clear the vents it runs fine!

SLP vent under the hood in the air box works just great! Another thread on that here that is ongoing. Good luck, fs

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with the other 2 guys who said exhaust. If your exhaust has a small leak, the powder will restrict the outlet and it will come out the crack which affects the tuning/timing of the exhaust wave in the pipe. That pressure in the pipe is what acts like an exhaust valve in a four stroke, if the timing is off you'll lose all top end. Try riding a 2 stroke with a broken pipe, mine broke on my 800 Summit and I had barely made it back to the truck, wouldn't rev over 6000 rpm

Al "ley Cat"

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The last two rides I have been on my mm 700 started bogging down when really tipping it on its sides in deep powder. After cutting out my sway bar and stiffening the front I am happy to report that I can really tip it over now, but WTH with the bogging? When I cleared the snow from the vents it ran fine for a little while. Any suggestions?
Thanks as always, Mike.:beer::d:beer:

Have a 2007 M8 was running fine until 1 hill climb she bogged out on me.Finally found the problem in the gas tank !When it was 1/4 full the bogging would show up, turned out that 1 of the pressure clamps around the rubber hose going from a fuel pick up to the pump was lose .Tightened it up ,she runs sweet now.

motomike450r

Reaction score
I think I will double check the exhaust, and looking into another opening in the air box. Has anyone used screen material fram a screen door for this?
Also, should I look into adding some to my hood? Any ideas where are the most strategic places to cut? The factory vents are definatley made for trail or at least not 3+ feet of powder, clogged right away. Oh, and pictures work well with me:d:d aint so good wit the words:beer::d

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I think I will double check the exhaust, and looking into another opening in the air box. Has anyone used screen material fram a screen door for this?
Also, should I look into adding some to my hood? Any ideas where are the most strategic places to cut? The factory vents are definatley made for trail or at least not 3+ feet of powder, clogged right away. Oh, and pictures work well with me:d:d aint so good wit the words:beer::d

Use screen on the outside (pet screen is tougher than window screen and stands up well in the trees).

Under the hood for added air use SLP material as you only want air coming through! You don't want snow, leaves, needles, seeds, belt dust, etc. as that goes directly to the motor.

Here's a picture for ya'

Attachments

• 100_2960.jpg
    100_2960.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 139

snowseeker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It could be from your exhaust getting plugged if your leaning it over or the snow plugging exhaust when u let off. I know that a few guys have had this issue when riding in deep powder.

motomike450r

Reaction score
I also wonder how big of a dent in one of the pipes is a problem? Tripple piped 700. My lefty throttle froze and I didn't know until it was GONE!! luckily the tree magnet was working and used a pine tree to stop it.

Top Bottom