engine and trany temps question

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what is a safe engine and transmission temperatures to run on a diesel? My 08 duramax seems to run at 100 all the time unless i'm pulling a trailer then it climbs to around 110 on occasion when pulling a load, and with the crappy winter fronts that they come with are just a pain in the azz to take off because chevy wasn't smart enough to make one that you can just open. and transmission I have no idea what is safe up too.
thanks for your help.

Guest102

Reaction score
100 is normal, nothing to worry about. I see a bit more on my f250, but a diff truck

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems hot to me? 100C = 212F most trucks use 180F or 190F thermostat. My 09 Dmax runs around 79C to 82C unloaded and most I've seen is 95C summer pulling. Trans runs 53C to 55C unloaded and I've seen mid-70's pulling trailer up some logging roads. No winter front or grill inserts, wide open airflow.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For a diesel truck 200-220 is optimal. that isnt close to hot. 250 i was told in school starts to cause bearing damage but you gotta keep it that hot for quit a while. Commercial truck running 600 horse and 2050 torque sits 190-230 depending on load.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my 08 runs 100 summer and winter, and yes i have to pull the winter front off when pulling, but if i run around 120kms hr, she'll start to warm up to about 110 at times when pulling hard, but then comes back down to 100 after a few minutes. maximum trany temp you figure 70?

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify all temps I posted are taken off my Edge Insight monitor and my trailer pulling was pretty tame just a 19' toyhauler around Alberta here last summer.

*edit and when I said "seems hot" I just meant compared to where my (similar) truck normally runs, not hot as in damaging the engine

Last edited:

sledhead800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my 08 runs 100 summer and winter, and yes i have to pull the winter front off when pulling, but if i run around 120kms hr, she'll start to warm up to about 110 at times when pulling hard, but then comes back down to 100 after a few minutes. maximum trany temp you figure 70?
my 09 d-max runs around 100 all the time summer and winter also, not to sure on tranny temp i forget right now but i well check tomorrow when i head to the mountains.

Anvil1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, my 2009 duramax seems to sit at 100 all the time. In the summer and winter with the weatherfront on. That is from the dash guage.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats normal on the dmax my truck unloaded runs close to a 100 degrees my egine coolant temps are usually close to 180-190 trans usually runs around 65 degrees for me. should be all good if your really worried about when towing I can get you a snow performance water/methanol injection kit to keep the temps down a bit

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm just curious at which point is getting to hot? when pulling a load if your engine temps get up to 110-120, is that to hot. trany temp ran at about 55-60 today

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats normal on the dmax my truck unloaded runs close to a 100 degrees my egine coolant temps are usually close to 180-190 trans usually runs around 65 degrees for me. should be all good if your really worried about when towing I can get you a snow performance water/methanol injection kit to keep the temps down a bit

My '06 shows about the same on my Edge.

I know my fan clutch doesn't kick in until the mid 220's. Pulled a 4 place enclosed over Teton Pass west of Jackson, WY and that's the only place I've had it cut in.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya mid 220's is usually were th lly-lml duramaxes usually kick in the fan. I guess if you can really hear that fan coming on and staying on for a good period of time then pull it over give it a cool down. But remeber and this is very critical on a diesel engine let it idle for a bit after applying a fair bit of strain on the turbo and let the turbo cool down a bit that oil inside is super hot! and can destroy turbos pretty quick! give it a good 5 minute idle or more after a hard run. I do it on my dmax after every pass at the track and after a long drive or even a drive were I'm just out playing around but it will save you on a turbo.

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as long as your under 235F coolant and oil temp when your pulling your fine, tranny temp under 220F and you won't have any issues,
normal everyday driving mine sits at 194F coolant 198-200F oil and 178F trans this is also on a 6.4 power stroke, with full deletes
duramax runs a touch cooler i believe
also another thing to watch is your temp difference between the oil and coolant if it gets to far apart your oil cooler could be starting to plug off, over 15deg and you could have a issue

Top Bottom