Electric vehicles

Catrider16

Reaction score
So the wife is shopping for a new vehicle and want's to replace her BMW with an electric car.
This is all new for me and will be a bit of a learning curve and i think after she does some research the plan is to go to Vancouver and see these in real life to test drive.

My self i'ed own an electric truck if i could get one in an F350/3500 payload and pulling power with a 500km range but i don't think they are there yet, so till then i will keep burning my diesel.

Any opinions on these, would you have one?

Hey Mike, Kare will love the new electric vehicles. I have had the opportunity to drive around Ottawa with them and they are real nice.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are fixed distribution costs and variable ones, your distribution fees go up when you consume more. For instance electricity is about 6c/kwh, but it costs another 10c to have that electricity delivered. It definitely pays to use less.

Quite frankly I could care less how much fuel anyone burns, I choose to use less because it costs me less. And if rates do go up in the future because of changing sources of energy I will already be ahead, because a large portion of that cost will be based on consumption.

Correct but charging a vehicle you are going to consume more. Compounded costs.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Factor in your lost productivity for the 2 days it takes you to drive the 500 km. And if that’s not a concern for you and you’re a true progressive, environment loving, tofu slurping man-bun toter, you’d do the 500 km in 10 days on the back of a donkey and feel oh so special......

Lost productivity? How does an extra 30minutes on a 5-6 hour trip really make any difference? Especially if you are stopping for a break to eat anyways? I'll have my model 3 in the next two weeks hopefully. It takes me about 6.5 hours to get to Revelstoke in my one ton diesel but according to you this car will take at least 2 days. I hope you're wrong.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When the gov't figures out that yer saving money, the cost of electricity will triple. EI: Ontario.Then it will cost more to drive your e-car 150 km....plus the cost to keep your lights on at home will triple.

Plus there's the whole drive 500 km thing....the E budget will have to be split into 4 days if its cold outside....3 days if its warm out.....

Look at your electric bill. On a $100 bill your actual electricity cost is likely $20. If electricity were to double your bill would be $120 dollars. One part of the reason why the solar payoff is so long in Alberta right now is because our electricity is the cheapest in Canada (and most of the world). The price of electricity doubling would cut the time to pay off your system in half. Ontario also has time of use billing. So during the peak demand in the day when your system is generating it's max you are getting paid the highest rate. Then at night when the rates fall and demand on the grid goes down you charge up the battery in your car.

It's very easy to drive 1000km in a day. You wake up in the morning and unplug with a full charge. Drive 500km. Stop and charge for 45min-hour. While you're charging you might as well go to a nearby restaurant and eat. Drive another 500km and charge at your destination.

Last edited:

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look at your electric bill. On a $100 bill your actual electricity cost is likely $20. If electricity were to double your bill would be $120 dollars. One part of the reason why the solar payoff is so long in Alberta right now is because our electricity is the cheapest in Canada (and most of the world). The price of electricity doubling would cut the time to pay off your system in half. Ontario also has time of use billing. So during the peak demand in the day when your system is generating it's max you are getting paid the highest rate. Then at night when the rates fall and demand on the grid goes down you charge up the battery in your car.

It's very easy to drive 1000km in a day. You wake up in the morning and unplug with a full charge. Drive 500km. Stop and charge for 45min-hour. While you're charging you might as well go to a nearby restaurant and eat. Drive another 500km and charge at your destination.

If evryone in Calgary decides to go the same direction tomorrow morning, that's gonna be one busy plug in at the 500 km mark !!!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lost productivity? How does an extra 30minutes on a 5-6 hour trip really make any difference? Especially if you are stopping for a break to eat anyways? I'll have my model 3 in the next two weeks hopefully. It takes me about 6.5 hours to get to Revelstoke in my one ton diesel but according to you this car will take at least 2 days. I hope you're wrong.
Better get a gold plus ama unlimited tow plan Johnny, think your going to need it lol

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've asked it. Others have asked it. Nobody has answered. How's the range when it's -25C outside? Heat takes AMPS.

To be perfectly honest, I could probably save $$ with an e-car. My commute to work is 45 km each way....mostly highway.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With a chevy volt you get 90km in the summer and in minus 30 on a full charge I think you would get more like 45km. The engine would kick on for a bit and burn 0.5-1 Litre. The engine on the volt will run at a certain temperature regardless of the energy level of the battery. I find this frustrating when you have enough battery to get to your destination but the engine kicks on anyways. The 2019 model fixed this issue but is now discontinued.

With the tesla I would say you'd get 380km to 400km in those temps (when rated 540km). Cold air is denser and the heater and defrost uses a lot of power. My best results have been preheating the battery before you leave and using the seat heaters as much as possible and only using the defrost enough to keep the windows clear.

I've asked it. Others have asked it. Nobody has answered. How's the range when it's -25C outside? Heat takes AMPS.

To be perfectly honest, I could probably save $$ with an e-car. My commute to work is 45 km each way....mostly highway.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As time changes all this conversation will be irrelevant concerning driving long distances. There is currently 1000 public charging station's in BC and they are continually adding to the system. Last July, 28 were added and from what i read you can easily drive one of these car's from Tofino to the Alberta border now.
It would not surprise me that we will see few gas station's getting removed and replaced by something else as more EV are purchased by the public.
Ever go to Vancouver with a diesel and try to fuel up? The majority of gas station no longer carry diesel, it's getting tuff to find it, i all ways make sure i top up in Chilliwack before going any further and how about parking....OMG...parking slots are too small for F350, truck don't fit and if you do get in there, good luck getting out.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Here is my trip today at -17. Was going mostly 120kmh, uphill, and slight wind. And 500lbs of grain in the back. Defrost heater, seat and wheel heater all maxed out.

This same trip in the summer uses 6-8 kWh and 0 fuel.

Last edited:

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You're wildly optimistic in everything regarding the electric vehicles....the only terrain you're gonna get 500 km on a charge is if you're going across Saskatchewan with no wind....going from Vancouver to calgary theres no way you're getting 500km, more like 300-350 in summer and 200 in the winter...so go 300km, stop and charge for an hour, then do it again, then do it again.... so thats 12 hours minimum, assuming you don't have to wait to charge which is unlikely. And your argument that when electricity doubles its a better deal is mind boggling....assuming more people get electric cars, the off peak demand break in rates will disappear because everyone with an electric car will be charging at night....and who is going to pay for all these charging stations?? Tax payers I guess because private industry isn't gonna touch it....

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The chevy bolt is true electric car the chevy volt is still a gas engine. Did you know how they ban a cell phone because one of those small batteries was too dangerous and might bring down an airliner... just saying.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am impressed you are only burning 2.8 liters per 100 k though. Oh and by the way you used as much power as all the wind mills produced.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're wildly optimistic in everything regarding the electric vehicles....the only terrain you're gonna get 500 km on a charge is if you're going across Saskatchewan with no wind....going from Vancouver to calgary theres no way you're getting 500km, more like 300-350 in summer and 200 in the winter...so go 300km, stop and charge for an hour, then do it again, then do it again.... so thats 12 hours minimum, assuming you don't have to wait to charge which is unlikely. And your argument that when electricity doubles its a better deal is mind boggling....assuming more people get electric cars, the off peak demand break in rates will disappear because everyone with an electric car will be charging at night....and who is going to pay for all these charging stations?? Tax payers I guess because private industry isn't gonna touch it....

LOL, I did lethbridge to calgary and back through a snow storm without charging. Give me a break!
I didn't say electricity doubling is a better deal, I said electricity doubling does NOT mean that your bill doubles.
Electric vehicle charging during night time hours will be far less taxing than the Air conditioning usage during the middle of the day in the summer. It will take time for EV to reach that level and by the time they do everyone will have solar panels on their roof and battery storage.

Got anything else besides made up facts?

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The chevy bolt is true electric car the chevy volt is still a gas engine. Did you know how they ban a cell phone because one of those small batteries was too dangerous and might bring down an airliner... just saying.

The 2.8L/100km is for that specific trip. If you look under that the lifetime average is 0.8L/100km.

The Bolt looks interesting but I don't think they are very easy to find and I think that the Tesla battery and powertrain has many efficiency advantages. Dual motor vs FWD. The Bolt would take longer to charge and doesn't have the extensive supercharging network. I'm glad to see GM step up and have a full battery electric vehicle, they might not go bankrupt.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL, I did lethbridge to calgary and back through a snow storm without charging. Give me a break!
I didn't say electricity doubling is a better deal, I said electricity doubling does NOT mean that your bill doubles.
Electric vehicle charging during night time hours will be far less taxing than the Air conditioning usage during the middle of the day in the summer. It will take time for EV to reach that level and by the time they do everyone will have solar panels on their roof and battery storage.

Got anything else besides made up facts?

he may be making up facts , but you are making some pretty broad assumptions.

Top Bottom