Electric vehicles

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do get the concept of electric transportation but the same amount of fossil fuels are needed to build and charge them, but the infrastructure that has to be in place
to charge 10% of all vehicles in Canada is staggering. There is about 5 billion a month spent on fuel in Canada try and convert that back into electricity needed to
replace our current vehicles with the GREEN vehicles .

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The whole idea is a feel good farce foisted on the public who’s be made to feel guilty for using fossil fuels. If one sits back and objectively looks at the costs in infrastructure alone to make electric vehicles mainstream its cost prohibitive. The power grid as it exists today is strained to the breaking point on extremely hot and cold days. Imagine what it’s gonna be like when half the population gets home and plugs their car in to charge it.
All the greenies say that we need to invest in green energy to save the planet so our kids don’t die in a burning hell caused by “carbon pollution “, but they don’t realize that someone has to pay for all of it. Imagine what it will cost to upgrade the electric generation and distribution system to allow for just a fraction of the vehicles on the road to be changed to electric power. There’s no free lunch. All the energy used for society to function transportation wise on a daily basis is enormous and has to come from somewhere, and currently comes from fossil fuels for a reason. They’re energy dense and convenient. The sky would be black with enough windmills to replace the energy used for transportation currently provided by oil.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
The whole idea is a feel good farce foisted on the public who’s be made to feel guilty for using fossil fuels. If one sits back and objectively looks at the costs in infrastructure alone to make electric vehicles mainstream its cost prohibitive. The power grid as it exists today is strained to the breaking point on extremely hot and cold days. Imagine what it’s gonna be like when half the population gets home and plugs their car in to charge it.
All the greenies say that we need to invest in green energy to save the planet so our kids don’t die in a burning hell caused by “carbon pollution “, but they don’t realize that someone has to pay for all of it. Imagine what it will cost to upgrade the electric generation and distribution system to allow for just a fraction of the vehicles on the road to be changed to electric power. There’s no free lunch. All the energy used for society to function transportation wise on a daily basis is enormous and has to come from somewhere, and currently comes from fossil fuels for a reason. They’re energy dense and convenient. The sky would be black with enough windmills to replace the energy used for transportation currently provided by oil.
Carbon dioxide is not pollution

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so do we stay with status quo? Humanity has always strived to excel in one form or another. Can you imagine back in the horse and buggy days how the people felt with cars etc etc. Good thing people progressed and adapted to changes. Not saying electric cars are the way to go right now but its a start and hopefully in 25, 50, 75 years it will get better. M/while, all we can do is embrace change and enjoy the ride.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
How long will it be when the first wave of batteries need to be replaced?

This little maintenance gem will open the eyes of a lot of people. If it is like the power tool business, it is cheaper to buy a new power tool than to buy a new battery. Is it going to be the same with the vehicles?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Imagine how much money is spent everyday on the extraction of fossil fuels. Now just start transitioning that money to a different source of energy. The project I've been working on for the last year is a $500 million gas plant, that kind of money puts up a lot of power transmission lines.

Regardless if you care about the environmental aspects of fossil fuels or not we will eventually run out of them one day, if we have the option to transition to something else why not? Hydrocarbons are an extremely useful base product to make millions of different products. Burning them solely for their thermal energy almost seems like a waste.

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Having a little trouble imagining an electric pickup pulling my 5th wheel and it isn't nearly the size of many out there. Notwithstanding my lack of imagination, the Tesla semi seems to be progressing toward production in two range models: 300 and 500 miles.

https://electrek.co/2018/08/31/tesl...s-range-cameras-electric-truck-superchargers/
Ahem....icebreakers and freighttrains run diesel electric ....I would think that's more demanding than your fifth wheel .... battery capacity has been the only hold up .... electric motors are far superior - more torque, lighter weight, less maintenance, longer service life, etc...
Of course neither ic or electric will run without energy / fuel.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How long will it be when the first wave of batteries need to be replaced?

This little maintenance gem will open the eyes of a lot of people. If it is like the power tool business, it is cheaper to buy a new power tool than to buy a new battery. Is it going to be the same with the vehicles?

8 years or 192000km battery and drive unit warranty. They will replace battery if it’s under 70%. Old battery gets recycled.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ahem....icebreakers and freighttrains run diesel electric ....I would think that's more demanding than your fifth wheel .... battery capacity has been the only hold up .... electric motors are far superior - more torque, lighter weight, less maintenance, longer service life, etc...

I would not have thought that an electric motor and batteries is lighter than a gas motor and fuel tank full.
Carbon foot print to build battery, from the mine to the car is??
Also how efficient is the power transfer to the battery and what is the total carbon footprint of the power generating system.
Solar wind or hydro?
All these systems have a life cycle and large carbon foot print to get operational and then maintain.
People do not look at what it actually takes to get that clean power transfered into the car battery.
Is it a 15% efficient system?

The plugging in part is clean.....getting there is far from as clean as promoted.
Oh ya you can't mention that.

Last edited:

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would not have thought that an electric motor and batteries is lighter than a gas motor and fuel tank full.
Carbon foot print to build battery, from the mine to the car is??
Also how efficient is the power transfer to the battery and what is the total carbon footprint of the power generating system.
Solar wind or hydro?
All these systems have a life cycle and large carbon foot print to get operational and then maintain.
People do not look at what it actually takes to get that clean power transfered into the car battery.
Is it a 15% efficient system?

The plugging in part is clean.....getting there is far from as clean as promoted.
Oh ya you can't mention that.

It's easier to build transmission lines than pipelines. 33 kWh of battery is the equivalent energy of 1 gallon of gasoline (in watt hours). Lets say you have 100kWh battery and 500km of range. This would be compared to an ICE vehicle doing 500km with 11.4 litres of fuel.

If you install solar panels and use the energy you generate to charge a vehicle (displacing gasoline) that will be the quickest way to pay off your system.

Or you can do seismic to figure out where oil is located. Get permission from land owners/mineral rights. Set up a rig and drill. Build a site with holding tanks. Haul Oil with Super B to refinery. Refine the oil. Transport fuel by pipeline. Haul fuel to gas station. Drive to the gas station to fill up.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's easier to build transmission lines than pipelines. 33 kWh of battery is the equivalent energy of 1 gallon of gasoline (in watt hours). Lets say you have 100kWh battery and 500km of range. This would be compared to an ICE vehicle doing 500km with 11.4 litres of fuel.

If you install solar panels and use the energy you generate to charge a vehicle (displacing gasoline) that will be the quickest way to pay off your system.

Or you can do seismic to figure out where oil is located. Get permission from land owners/mineral rights. Set up a rig and drill. Build a site with holding tanks. Haul Oil with Super B to refinery. Refine the oil. Transport fuel by pipeline. Haul fuel to gas station. Drive to the gas station to fill up.
Your forgetting about mining lithium and building the battery...........

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of range on currently available batteries only and the current requirement that it takes about 40 minutes to charge assuming an available Supercharging station. I got rid of a truck because it used so much fuel I had no range - 180 miles pulling the trailer on a tank of fuel. Until the next generation of batteries come out, I doubt I will be changing trucks. I am holding off on my next car though.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oxygen a not a pollutant either but it does become a problem if there is too much of it in your atmosphere. Think Apollo program fire. It also causes premature rusting of many metals and corrosion in others as an example.

I don't know to what degree the rising CO2 levels will affect our weather but it is already affecting our oceans by making them more acidic. Wonder how mankind will do if there are no more fish to eat.

But no, despite some of the pretty obvious signs being pointed out, it is much easier to sit back and do nothing or promote no change in what we do. It took a long time for people in the middle ages to accept the world was no flat, that it revolved around the sun and not the other way around etc. so I imagine there will be a percentage of the current inhabitants of earth that will not recognize the problem until it is too late.

As to the cost of switching over to cleaner sources of power, all the new installations are good for employment and the economy in general just like there was no oil economy before the ICE. The changes are coming whether we like it or not.

Carbon dioxide is not pollution

Top Bottom