Electric vehicles

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My dad ordered August 24, delivered September 20.
I ordered December 3, my date is December 18.

Ordering a car on a website is kind of different.
Just enter the credit card # and wait for it to arrive, kinda like sled parts.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Out of curiosity, where does one receive or pick up a Tesla in western canada ? And for any warranty items where does it go for service ?

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My sons came out of vancouver they had to deliver it to his house as he could not drive it all the way to prince george because there where not enough charging stations.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That's the way it should be.
No need for dealerships.

Just need service centers.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And need the govt to start requiring odometer readings to be sent in so EV users can start receiving their road tax bills. Works out to about 3 cents per km based on 10L/100km average. If large vehicles are forced to go electric, I assume they will be asked to contribute more based on fuel consumption.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No one needs that kind of acceleration. Sure is awesome though if there was no other penalty such as range...and obviously price. I wonder how long it will take tuners to improve base software like they do for ICE.

I got a long range dual motor with EAP and 18” aero wheels. Didn’t get the performance model because I don’t want 20” wheels and the suspension is lower. Also don’t really need track mode or 0-60 in 3.1 sec.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And need the govt to start requiring odometer readings to be sent in so EV users can start receiving their road tax bills. Works out to about 3 cents per km based on 10L/100km average. If large vehicles are forced to go electric, I assume they will be asked to contribute more based on fuel consumption.

Can't let a guy have a break eh? Probably going to need a special force to make sure people arent bs'ing about km's :rolleyes:

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure where this is coming from. So far, BC only offers a credit on the purchase of an EV. No talk of road tax I could find yet but it does seem logical at some point in the future once there are enough of these on the road, they will need to contribute to highway maintenance. Seems a long way off right now though. Do you have better info or just forseeing something in the future?

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure where this is coming from. So far, BC only offers a credit on the purchase of an EV. No talk of road tax I could find yet but it does seem logical at some point in the future once there are enough of these on the road, they will need to contribute to highway maintenance. Seems a long way off right now though. Do you have better info or just forseeing something in the future?
Just foreseeing. NDP seemt to think that by 2040 there will only be electric vehicle sales. Pretty obvious that there is going to be a tax decrease due to reduction in fuel sales. Never saw a govt that accepted less tax revenue.

And, I'm getting a little tired of all the EV'ers who continue to preach how much cheaper it is to drive an electric car. Ya, because you arn't paying your share. Take off the 30-40 cents per litre of gas taxes and see how much cheaper it is to drive a gasoline car. Plus, when EVERYONE finally has one, think all the charging stations are going to be free?? Start comparing apples to apples.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just foreseeing. NDP seemt to think that by 2040 there will only be electric vehicle sales. Pretty obvious that there is going to be a tax decrease due to reduction in fuel sales. Never saw a govt that accepted less tax revenue.

And, I'm getting a little tired of all the EV'ers who continue to preach how much cheaper it is to drive an electric car. Ya, because you arn't paying your share. Take off the 30-40 cents per litre of gas taxes and see how much cheaper it is to drive a gasoline car. Plus, when EVERYONE finally has one, think all the charging stations are going to be free?? Start comparing apples to apples.

Exactly!! and when the private sector starts installing charging stations, the cost of building, operating and maintaining them will be added to the cost of the electricity. It will become not such a good deal in a big hurry.....ontario has the right idea... yank the subsidies off of these things and let them stand on their own merits.....

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What you are saying is reasonable to expect but until there are enough Ev's then it really isn't a problem for the current ownership group. The current EV owners are paying a premium for the experience so at the end of the day, they may not be saving as much over the life of the vehicle. At any rate, this is the direction everything seems to be headed and, unless some incredible technology suddenly arrives, EV's will likely be the interim destination point on the way to something else. I get a little tired of listening to those who only see a down side to the direction transportation seem to be going. Alternatives to oil is not a bad thing and during this development stage, alternatives are not a replacement for hydro carbons yet seeing some posts, you would swear that this is the worst thing to ever happen. I am sure Jeff Bezos was told thousands of times his plan (Amazon) would never work. Whether that is a good model is up for debate I suppose but it sure has been successful for him.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
This was a good read, with some real world experience.

As the technology gets better it will be interesting to see the options available. The one statement that stuck out was "energy can neither be created or destroyed, only transferred" this was what I kept thinking as I read through the thread until it finally came up on one of the later pages. The energy required for an EV has to come from somewhere, and energy storage always results in waste and inefficiency. Hybrids seem to make the most sense because you seem to get a good mix of economy & range. I don't like batteries, period, I understand they are a necessary evil.... phones, tablets, vehicles, boats, etc..... but I think they are becoming the next environmental crisis.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This was a good read, with some real world experience.

As the technology gets better it will be interesting to see the options available. The one statement that stuck out was "energy can neither be created or destroyed, only transferred" this was what I kept thinking as I read through the thread until it finally came up on one of the later pages. The energy required for an EV has to come from somewhere, and energy storage always results in waste and inefficiency. Hybrids seem to make the most sense because you seem to get a good mix of economy & range. I don't like batteries, period, I understand they are a necessary evil.... phones, tablets, vehicles, boats, etc..... but I think they are becoming the next environmental crisis.

I agree. I think the depleted batteries are going to be a huge problem. The energy requirements to build them and sinter together the components isn’t something that’s gonna be easily undone. I see the recycling/ disposal fee being as much as the new battery over time, unless we just do what we do now with hazardous waste and ship it to China for them to dump somewhere.
Electricity to power a vehicle has some technical advantages for sure. I see the current generation of EVs being the test bed for future vehicles that use electric motors as the prime movers using an onboard generator of some kind, be it a hydrogen fuel cell, a cold fusion reactor or dylithium crystals or some other as yet to be developed space age power source. The laws of physics conspire against using a chemical energy source to store any meaningful amount of portable electricity.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree. I think the depleted batteries are going to be a huge problem. The energy requirements to build them and sinter together the components isn’t something that’s gonna be easily undone. I see the recycling/ disposal fee being as much as the new battery over time, unless we just do what we do now with hazardous waste and ship it to China for them to dump somewhere.
Electricity to power a vehicle has some technical advantages for sure. I see the current generation of EVs being the test bed for future vehicles that use electric motors as the prime movers using an onboard generator of some kind, be it a hydrogen fuel cell, a cold fusion reactor or dylithium crystals or some other as yet to be developed space age power source. The laws of physics conspire against using a chemical energy source to store any meaningful amount of portable electricity.
Tesla apparently will recycle their batteries. I'm curious what the process entails, and how much waste is prevented as well as how much additional pollution is created during the process

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is something really cool about driving through Calgary on the Deerfoot through heavy stop and go traffic and having autopilot take care of everything. Highway driving is nice too, just tapping the signal light to make lane changes. Navigation on autopilot is coming soon as well.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is something really cool about driving through Calgary on the Deerfoot through heavy stop and go traffic and having autopilot take care of everything. Highway driving is nice too, just tapping the signal light to make lane changes. Navigation on autopilot is coming soon as well.

Do you have to steer it?

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have to steer it?

No, just hang my hand at 9 o’clock and let the weight of my arm do the rest. I’ve heard of people lowering their wheel so it rubs on your leg a little bit (don’t do this). The wheel basically just has to feel some resistance. No pedal inputs either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom