electric start

doober

Reaction score
I have decided to get one for the wifes 2007 600 sdi summit, anyone know where to get the best price on one.

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought one for my wife's Summit 600 SDI from Doo Talk, luckily the seller was from Alaska so I didn't have to deal with shipping. You'll need a ring gear too and we got ours from the dealer for about $130.

PowMower

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought the '07 600's came stock with electric start?

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope, i've got a buddy with 2 of them and neither one has eletric start.

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you buy it new or used? E-start is an option for most models and is standard on others, the Summit not being one of them. I know that some dealers will put them on some sleds and sell them that way too.

doober

Reaction score
It has a ring gear on it already, i was looking arround last year for one also, and found out some have a ring gear and some dont, so really I dont need the whole kit, but am unsure if you can get the pieces I need, and what pieces I need to get it to work.

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You'll need a battery, e-start wiring harness, starter, and solenoid. You shoud be able to find a whole setup less ring gear between $200-$300.

doober

Reaction score
Already has a battery also, I thought that was part of the SDI system? Where canI find these items, my dealer here says you have to buy the whole kit.

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The battery for the e-start is bigger. You'll have to pull out that foam insulation, capacitor and battery for the SDI and put the bigger battery inside your battery box. Keep in mind that if your battery volatge gets low that your sled will not run. We had this problem the first time we went to ride last winter, the battery was almost dead and the sled would not run. With the SDI system you have the capacitor which carries a charge to get fuel going to the injectors, at least that's how it was explained to me. You can buy the kit from the dealer but it won't be cheap and i'd buy the battery from auto parts store or your local battery supplier. Keep an eye on Doo Talk, I see e-start systems for sale on there all the time.

doober

Reaction score
sorry I was mistaken it doesnt have a ring gear, I dont know why I thought it did, so I guess I would need the whole setup.

doober

Reaction score
Ok I have been contacted by someone that has a used one for sale, but no instructions. Anyone have some or know where to get them?

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can try and help you with it, it's not that hard but takes a little bit of time. One thing I want to mention when installing the starter, there is a hole that is plugged that allows you to install the lower front (clutch side) bolt, if you don't remove it you'll be pulling your hair out trying to install it...........don't ask me how I know this. Installing the ring gear is pretty straightforward. What I used to install all the wiring and solenoid was the Ski Doo IPB, made it pretty easy to hook everything up. If you have any more questions just post them up and i'll try and help you out.

doober

Reaction score
Thanks for the offer to help, I have to get the starter here first, and I will be contacting you for help if needed.

doober

Reaction score
Turns out the one that I was interested in was for an 05 carbbed and wont work with the 07. So still looking.

doober

Reaction score
Ok I have a question now, I bought a kit from a ski doo dealer, it was supposed to be the complete kit. Got the starter on, wiring ran, but the plug on the harness doesnt look like any other plug, the only one that it looks like is way up in the handle bars, but he harness is no where long enough(instructions are not good to say the least)? We were looking at it and i think there might be a piece of the harness missing. The harness is about 2-3 ft long with a plug on the end, we were thinking that there must be a plug with some sort of "Y" that I am missing? Am I correct on thinking this? Also that little capacitor hat was beside the old battery, what do I do with that? Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

farmerboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Throw up an add. Also I've seen some for sale on the snowest forum. I think the ones from the 800 work also

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You need to remove that capacitor but I would keep it and the small battery for backup in case your starter battery takes a dump.

I'm not sure what plug your talking about, if you bought the complete kit from your dealer then you should have everything needed to install it. That little plug that went to your capacitor wiring isn't used, there is a second plug by the battery box that should be tied back, you free that one up and hook that to the other side of your starter solenoid and tie the capacitor plug back. I hope this helps.

doober

Reaction score
Got it all installed and working, the part that had me confused was an extra wiring harness that was sent with the kit. No real mention of it in the instructions (also had 2 sets of instructions come with it, both for different years) just had to use the wires that went to the battery before, not the new harness. Dealer said he doesnt know why they send the extra harness as it is never needed, the sleds are pretty much pre-wired to work with a starter.

Top Bottom