Electric Cooling Fans

Alberta Rhino

Reaction score
Has anyone installed electric cooling fans such as FlexaLite on their diesel truck. Do they provide enough cooling and are they reliable ?

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the Flex-a-lite Xtreme 180 on my '06 hemi,.. for the diesel's I think they say to not tow with them because of overheating the transmission,.. but don't quote me on it.

With the HP gain over a mechanical(almost 10hp with the hemi) I was almost to the point of overheating pulling long grades and the fan couldn't keep up.

I am sure there are some good fans out there, just research before you install,.. I would definitely install an override switch as my temp control relay assembly would flake out time to time and would not cool my engine.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As far as i know mechanical diesel fans for today diesel (2000 and newer) pull 6000+ cfm where the biggest flex a lit will do is 5500 or less. I think some of the newer dodges pull upwards of 7000. To tell you the truth on a diesel i dont think you will see any noticible gains. 10hp in a vechicle will not alter your performance nor you gas milage. If it was a race truck or street/strip well yea do it up.

I know we did up a 98 chev 6.5l (not the shinning star of diesels) and had cooling issues pulling minor loads around 5000lbs.

Alberta Rhino

Reaction score
Not after the horsepower, looking to acheive faster warm up in winter on a 04 lly duramax but would hate to exchange the electric fans for the stock fan when it comes to towing.

Top Bottom