Eight feared dead in Fernie avalanches

mountainman611

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is a very sad time for everyone involved directly and indirectly with this tragic accident...........however I totally disagree with your comments.

The next avalanche could be later today, tomorrow, next week or next month. This is the time to evaluate what went wrong if others can be better prepared and prevent this happening again. It is a somber lesson to those of us that have all the right equipment - whether beacons, probes, shovels, SPOT, ABS bags etc - the equipment will not guarantee a survival - only staying out of the avalanche will. I make this point with the deepest respect.

I totally agree with you Haggis. This recent event is very tragic but if we do not learn from it,many more lives will be lost. Maybe this is not the place to discuss this and a new thread started,I don't know but silence is not the answer.Like any other accident,car,plane,boat,etc they are examined to find out why they happened and what can be done so that it doesn't happen again.And if this recent tragedy saves but one life from that education,the lives lost were not in vain.

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:( My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of those who lost their lives enjoying a sport they loved. As well to the entire town of Sparwood, as this will leave an ever lasting mark in your hearts and community. May God be with all of you during this very difficult time. :(

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My deepest condolances to the familys and friends of this tragic time.As a person who has been in one of these positons of a avy.My heart just breaks for the young familys and friends. It makes me look at my own family and think how fast things can happen.Everyone be safe.

SparkyX670

Reaction score
Here is a link to an article from Global TV Calgary on two Trusts set up for the Families of the avalanche victims.

Any Donations will Help.....

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really think that is great, maybe as "Snow and Mud" we can get together and somehow donate a lump sum. We would want someone to do that same for our families if something tragic happened like this. If each member of Snow and Mud spared a few bucks it would soon add up to a large sum. Thoughts?

BrandonSK

Reaction score
My prayers go the families who have lost their loved ones, this a terrible thing that happened.

GRD

Reaction score
I really think that is great, maybe as "Snow and Mud" we can get together and somehow donate a lump sum. We would want someone to do that same for our families if something tragic happened like this. If each member of Snow and Mud spared a few bucks it would soon add up to a large sum. Thoughts?

That is a great idea Dobir!

clifford the big red dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn't know how to start this, so here it goes,When I heard about this horrible accident it brought back a whole lot of bad memories in that last year we were returning from revelstoke with news of a avalanche a elkford Bc. A very good friend of mine and his wife lost a son that day, Shawn was just doing what he loved to do, motorcross in summer and sledding in winter. Me and my family would like to send our condolences to all of those people in sparwood that have lost someone that they love and to all of those people that will support this tradgedy.

polcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My condolences to the friends and families this is a terrible tragedy.

mountainman611

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You are completely right on your thoughts there. My heart is especially broken about the young men that have just started a family.
We should start a "snow and mud" trust fund for these young children that are unfortunately involved in this tragedy.
If the mods agree I would love to contribute to this cause.....

Be safe all, the season has just started,but has already taken to many good souls....

throttle-up

Reaction score
Website
www.leekseeker.com
Just got back from sledding in Golden and heard the news out there. There is no doubt that the snowpack is unstable and unpredictable!

My heartfelt thoughts and prayers go out to the survivor's, families, friends and all the volunteers and professionals involved in this horrible situation.

To the survivors that made the hardest call of their lives...YOU MADE the right call!

To the rest of us who sled, we need to think more about what we are doing out there! It's time to wake up and get real. More of us are getting killed because we are going further into the back country and the sleds have made areas more accessible than ever before.

I have ridden Harvey many times and it is an area that only experienced sledders would go. To be honest, it is one of those areas that kind of gave me the chills everytime I went there.

Most of us have probably done the exact same thing as these guys did and have gotten away with it. Sled safe everyone and think about this situation every time you venture out so their deaths aren't in vein!

RIP

kris

Reaction score
My thoughts and prayers are with all involved. Accidents like this while they don't deter me they help humble me. It reminds us all that while we can conquer these amazing mountians they hold the power to defeat us in a flash. Ride safe all! This was a tragic loss that should humble us all and to the fallen sledders may all your rides now be filled with endless powder,tons of power and full tanks of fuel, may you never have to pack a shovel in the great heavens above. To the three men saved in this tragedy there is a great plan in the works for you, may you find peace in the future. And all the best sledding in the New Year to all.

SparkyX670

Reaction score
One way or the other I want to help out the Families.I'd rather do it as a group from the Snowmobile Community though.There is definitely going to be a BIG need here.One Lady will have to bury Her Husband and a Son.She is going to have a tough time, for sure.It will be hard for all of them.They need our Prayers but also financial help.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One way or the other I want to help out the Families.I'd rather do it as a group from the Snowmobile Community though.There is definitely going to be a BIG need here.One Lady will have to bury Her Husband and a Son.She is going to have a tough time, for sure.It will be hard for all of them.They need our Prayers but also financial help.

Ron (Moderators)- can you set up a Paypal system similar to the Rescue Horses in McBride? This is way bigger than 2 stranded horses and these families need help. Please set this up asap.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just watched this interview of one of the survivors, it was gut wrenching:(

Top Bottom