Eight feared dead in Fernie avalanches

ronkytonk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As many as eight people are feared dead after two avalanches in the B.C. Interior buried 11 snowmobilers.

Three survived, but RCMP Cpl. Andy Veltmeyer confirmed late last night eight people were still buried under the snow.

There were some fatalities, according to Jennifer Henkes, a spokeswoman with the Interior Health Authority, but she refused to say how many people were killed.

"Interior Health would like to extend its deepest condolences to the victims' families during this very difficult time for them in the Elk Valley," she said.

Three people were taken to Elk Valley Hospital, Henkes said, with two discharged yesterday and one remaining in stable condition

As many as eight people are feared dead after two avalanches in the B.C. Interior buried 11 snowmobilers.

Three survived, but RCMP Cpl. Andy Veltmeyer confirmed late last night eight people were still buried under the snow.

There were some fatalities, according to Jennifer Henkes, a spokeswoman with the Interior Health Authority, but she refused to say how many people were killed.

"Interior Health would like to extend its deepest condolences to the victims' families during this very difficult time for them in the Elk Valley," she said.

Three people were taken to Elk Valley Hospital, Henkes said, with two discharged yesterday and one remaining in stable condition

A second group of four snowmobilers heard yelling from the area and came to help the first group, who were digging out their fellow riders trapped under the snow.

As they were digging one person out, a second avalanche came down and buried the entire group.

The snowmobilers, all believed to be from Sparwood, were wearing avalanche beacons, Mounties said.

Two of the riders managed to dig themselves out within 20 minutes and used their beacons to locate a third victim.

Wayne Stamler, vice-president of the Fernie Snowmobile Association, said the area warmed up considerably yesterday, which could have contributed to the avalanche.

Rescue efforts were on hold last night while authorities wait for the area to stabilize.

Stamler said there was very little information circulating among outdoor enthusiasts in Fernie, but "everybody has their fingers crossed that everyone is safe."

The tragic incident happened just two days after the Canadian Avalanche Association issued an avalanche warning to recreational backcountry users in the South Coast and North Shore regions for the weekend.

The area received almost 30 cm of snow over the previous day and temperature rose from -30C to 0C yesterday.

A Parks Canada bulletin Saturday night stated the danger was to rise yesterday to a level of considerable danger, which means that human-triggered avalanches are probable and natural avalanches are possible.

"The name of the game is to continue to use conservative terrain choices and stay off the big features," the bulletin advised.

Stamler says the terrain in the avalanche area is dangerous and that's why he thinks the search was called off.

"Officials don't want others' safety to be jeopardized," he said

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is sad news I just heard them speak of it on the radio. My thoughts go out to the friends and family of the terrible lost of life.

BonBon

Reaction score
just heard about this tragedy this morning!! I sure hope that some good news comes from this as well! It breaks my heart every time I hear of something like this! It has come close to home in recent past and my thoughts and prayers go out to the people still trapped and to all their families!

nos101

Reaction score
It is a sad day in the snowmobile community !
hearts and prayers go out to the families.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sad day indeed... I hope for all the best, but at this point it looks grim..

After reading CBC's report, it has me worried what one of the "survivors" said..

"A friend of some of the trapped snowmobilers told CBC News that after nightfall two rescue beacons were still active, an indication that at least two were still alive and pushing the button to call for help."

I don't think I need to explain why this worries me. If people wonder, please ask, but that's not a good sign. The only way that's a good sign is if they had the Ortivox (?) beacon that shows other Ortivox users if the beacon has movement. If that's the case, they should have worked through dark to find them.

swabby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we rode the flathead for a few days and saw a few small slides its dangerous rite now out there ,its a very sad day for all family involved

Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sparwood is a small community. I can imagine this will effect many. My prayers go out to all.

Twisted Boost

Biggest Poster
Reaction score
This is a horrible!! all of my family wishing the best to all families involved and our prayers are with yours!! and extend our deepest condolences :(:(

TB.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just read the story on Yahoo Canada. Very scary. Deepest condolences to the families.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tragic - all from Sparwood too. my thoughts go to the families in that town that have lost so many fathers, sons, brothers and uncles. Really a very sad day for that community and all involved with mountain riding.

I think the 'active' beacons were ones that were still transmitting signal - that does not mean however that they were alive and pushing a button. Beacons were still sending signal - that is all.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After reading CBC's report, it has me worried what one of the "survivors" said..

"A friend of some of the trapped snowmobilers told CBC News that after nightfall two rescue beacons were still active, an indication that at least two were still alive and pushing the button to call for help."

I don't think I need to explain why this worries me. If people wonder, please ask, but that's not a good sign. The only way that's a good sign is if they had the Ortivox (?) beacon that shows other Ortivox users if the beacon has movement. If that's the case, they should have worked through dark to find them.

push the button, I am now confused, no buttons on my beacon (and it will transmit for like 5 days beacons are for rescue and recovery:() and if someone could push a button under their coat well then they would not be trapped, this is terrible but lets respect thoose involved until a full story comes out and the way I read it people went in to help and got hit by a second avi, regardless I am sure it was not easy to leave people out there and if there was a second option I am sure it would have been excercised.

I hope for the best to all....

SparkyX670

Reaction score
At least one of the group had a Spot locator beacon.RCMP news update just minutes ago on Global TV said the signal recieved yesterday was not from one of the 3 that made it out that day.Currently 17 Searchers and 2 rescue dogs on the scene.

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
were in grand forks and caught this on the radio las night. pretty scary as we were just out... People need to heed the warninig signs, take the avy courses man its worth it. Our prayers and thoughts out to the families and friends of these trapped riders...

Here is a CBC report:

Top Bottom