Eight feared dead in Fernie avalanches

mountainman611

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another update to this very sad story:

SPARWOOD, B.C. - Hopes of a miracle for eight snowmobilers caught in a pair of avalanches in British Columbia were dashed Monday as police announced that seven bodies had been found.

The discovery of the seventh body was announced at an evening news conference in Fernie, B.C.

Police also announced they've called off the search for the night because of weather.

****RCMP Cpl. Chris Faulkner had earlier announced the discovery of six bodies, saying the remains had not yet been identified.

The men went missing after a pair of avalanches Sunday near Fernie in southeastern B.C.

Families of the men were supporting each other after receiving the grim news Monday, police said.

"The immediate families of most of the victims are all congregated together, in support of each other," said Faulkner.

"I believe that they all expect the worst in a situation like this."

Officials had acknowledged all day that time was working against the missing men, who were from nearby Sparwood, a community of about 4,000 people.

"I think that in situations like these, searchers put the labour in front of their emotions and you almost have to set that aside and go out and do the job that you're trained to do, that you're asked to do and the emotional impact grips you once it's over," said Faulkner.

Police haven't officially released their names, but those missing or dead have been identified as Warren Rothel, Thomas Talarico, Kane Rusnak, Danny Bjarnason, Leonard Stier and his son Michael Stier, Kurt Kabel and Blaine Wilson.

The eight were part of a group of 11 men, believed to be in their 20s and 30s, who were experienced in the sport of snowmobiling but were not considered veterans.

Several of the men had children.

A candlelight vigil was being held Monday night in Sparwood as a town faced a tragic end to two days of searching.

"The entire town is going to be crushed," said Lana, a longtime friend of some of the men who didn't want her last name published.

"It would be bad enough to heal after one. How do you heal after eight?"

Lana said she has known one of the men, Kurt Kabel, since she was five years old.

She described him as a protector and good influence during her teenage years - so much so, her father always wanted him to accompany her when they went out.

"If I was allowed to go out, I made sure he was able to go out with me," she said.

Kabel, believed to be in his late 20s, married earlier this year and he and his wife have an infant son. He works at a hydraulic equipment repair company in Sparwood.

Lana said another man, Blaine Wilson, and his girlfriend are the godparents of her young son.

Wilson, also in his mid- to late-20s was a frequent companion of Lana's boyfriend on hunting trips in the area. He's a heavy duty mechanic for a Sparwood company.

"He's the best hunting companion there is. They thrived on climbing up the mountains and hunting together," she said.

RCMP said the men were all wearing avalanche beacons when they were riding together Sunday in the Flathead Valley, 40 kilometres southwest of Fernie.

Police said some members from a group of seven snowmobilers were buried by an avalanche in the Harvey Pass area - a popular backcountry snowmobile destination.

A second group of four snowmobilers heard yelling from the area and came to the aid of members from the first group who were in the process of digging out their fellow riders.

The RCMP said the newly formed group was able to locate one rider, but as they were digging him out at a depth of about three metres, a second avalanche came down and buried the entire group.

Two of the buried riders managed to get themselves out within about 20 minutes. These two used avalanche beacons to locate a third buried victim who they rescued after an additional 20 minutes of digging.

The Provincial Emergency Program was notified when automated distress calls were received from communications devices worn by the snowmobilers. A helicopter was dispatched to the scene to pick up two of the three survivors. The third survivor was transported by ground with the assistance of Fernie Search and Rescue personnel.

Fernie Mayor Cindy Corrigan, said the men should not have ventured out into that particular area because the avalanche risk was high.

"I'm quite devastated by it all," she said. "But the conditions we've had over the past few days are just so severe, so it's a shame that they decided to go into the backcountry."

Fernie is located about 320 kilometres southwest of Calgary.

The incident happened just two days after the Canadian Avalanche Centre issued a special avalanche warning to recreational backcountry users in B.C.'s south coast and North Shore regions for the weekend.

CAC forecaster James Floyer warned Friday that the avalanche danger in the Columbia Mountains south of Revelstoke to the U.S. border and east of the Okanagan Valley to Golden, Invermere and Cranbrook would increase quickly with significant snowfall.

The Canadian Avalanche Centre says that, from 1978 to 2007, an average of 11 avalanche fatalities occurred per year in Canada.

Last winter season, 18 Canadians were killed in avalanches. The worst year on record was the 2002 to 2003 season, when 29 Canadians died in avalanches. Before that, in 1997 and 1998, there were 21 deaths.

With files from Canwest News Service

© The Vancouver Sun 2008

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my condolences... just way too many avalanches the past few days, I've counted 13 deaths in the past couple days

theslam19_98

Reaction score
found this on another fourm

does anybody know these guys ????

Police haven't officially released their names, but those missing or dead have been identified as Warren Rothel, Thomas Talarico, Kane Rusnak, Danny Bjarnason, Leonard Stier and his son Michael Stier, Kurt Kabel and Blaine Wilson.

Firefly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My family's deepest condolences to everyone dealing with this horrible tragedy! Lets be safe out there so we can all come home!

God Bless the Search and Rescue personel risking there lives to bring those boys home.

Anthony

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My condolences to the friends, relatives and immediate families of those involved. This is a very sad time for the entire snowmobiling community. :(

Let's all remember to make sure we take out safety gear with us, and check the snow conditions during every ride to prevent any, and all further accidents.

Anthony

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, I was just watching the story on CTVNewsNet and there is some doubt about how well the infamous "SPOT" GPS saftey equipment actually worked in this situation...

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So, I was just watching the story on CTVNewsNet and there is some doubt about how well the infamous "SPOT" GPS saftey equipment actually worked in this situation...

Thats really irrelavant at this point dont you think,A very delicate sad time for all those involved,My deepest condolances!
catmando!

Zig Zag

Reaction score
Deepest condolances to the families and the town of Sparwood. Our prayers go out to all regarding this accident.

Rob1334

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Prayers to the families and friends, Snow and Mudder's stay safe out there! Lot's of important people to come home to!

DonMcKay

Reaction score
Website
www.calgaryatvriders.com
My thoughts and prayers are with the families. Words cannot express the deep hurt that everyone that has close ties to these men are feeling now. My thoughts and Prayers are with you also.

If you guys are going to venture out in the high hills please take note of the avalanche conditions and play safe.

Don

Mtsledder

Reaction score
I couldn't even imagine going through what that small town is going through right now. I know they will get through this very difficult time.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
While travelling down Highway 3 yesterday near Cowley, we caught a glimpse of what appeared to a be Stars helicopter, was hoping that was a good sign and that they had recovered some more survivors, we where deeply saddened when we heard that was not the case.

GRD

Reaction score
Condolences from my family to the friends, relatives and immediate families of those involved.

bigdog67

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My heart felt condolences go out to the families and the whole town of Sparwood.I can't imagine what they're going through right now.Very sad.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here is a explanation of how this tragedy unfolded from CBC, very sad.

A sequence of events in the avalanches that killed seven men and left an eighth presumed dead near Fernie, B.C., as relayed Monday night by Wilks to The Canadian Press:

One snowmobiler gets stuck in a bowl on the slope, two others come to his aid.
An avalanche buries the three men.
One of the three escapes as another group arrives to assist.
A second avalanche buries all 11 men from the two groups.
Three of the men are not far from the surface. One breaks free and digs out a friend.
A third member of the group cries out, and the two who are free begin digging him out.
While the two are digging, a cornice - an overhang of snow on the side of a mountain - breaks, bringing more snow crashing down. The two men run for safety while the third is buried again.
The two return, find the third man and dig him out after 15 or 20 minutes.
The three men notice a snowmobile on top of the snow that they could reach, but see another cornice above that appears to be dangerous. They decide against further rescue efforts and set out on foot towards Fernie.
About 10 minutes after they leave the scene, they see a fourth cornice fall, bringing more snow down.

mountainman611

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They have finally put the end to this very tragic event. .I will tell you one thing,it has really opened my eyes about what can happen in a moment when we are not as careful as we should be. My heart goes out to all the families and the town of Sparwood.Please ride safe brothers and sisters,the danger is definately there......

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
RIGHT ON CATMANDOO. Not a time to be pointing and second guessing.

JUST a VERY SAD TIME

It is a very sad time for everyone involved directly and indirectly with this tragic accident...........however I totally disagree with your comments.

The next avalanche could be later today, tomorrow, next week or next month. This is the time to evaluate what went wrong if others can be better prepared and prevent this happening again. It is a somber lesson to those of us that have all the right equipment - whether beacons, probes, shovels, SPOT, ABS bags etc - the equipment will not guarantee a survival - only staying out of the avalanche will. I make this point with the deepest respect.

Top Bottom