EGR delete 6.0 Ford

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It looks like colant is what is leaking, it is leaking right over the axles area. If I fill the colant bottle it emty out even if truck is not running. Is there a pressure test I can do or dye test to find leak. what runs through the egr pipe, is it collant baybe it is leaking around there....

rdr99

Reaction score
Check your lower rad house sometimes they rub on the steering box. Check water pump, also check EGR cooler line. If you are going to keep the truck for long, ditch the Bully Dog and get an SCT tuner. Check out thedieselgarage.com for lots of good 6.0 info.

dmkhnr

Reaction score
is the sct alot more hp or just a better tuner

Mach,
I wouldn't put either tuner on your truck unless you have head studs.
I don't know much about the 6.oh, but I do know that in stock form you have a 50/50 chance of blowing your head gasket, and when a tuner is added you are more like a 90% chance.

drford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Drford you say 6.5 hrs to install aftermarket head studs and put new head gasket. Where are you located. Do you do a cab off or not. Thanks

not for head studs that is for egr delete kit head studs are about 18 hrs + parts to do i used to work at ford and can do with cab on i am a disesel performance shop in gp called Northern Performance

smokindiesel

Reaction score
You find it easyer to do with the cab on? I've never tryed that way yet. Always pulled the cab. SCT is probably the top tunner for a ford 6.0. Custom tunes are available to give you more power or delete the EGR in the computer. If you want to have big power with your 6.0 your going to need head studs and an EGR delete. I've seen EGR coolers blow and push coolant into the intake and cumbustion chamber and cuase a hydrolock kinda situation wich takes out the head gasket. oh yea Get a pyro guage so you don't melt down a piston, #8 piston is usually what melts. As far as your coolant leaking problem goes, theres a few spots i can point out that may help you find the leak, the degass bottle is know to get holes it, especially if you have a leak in your y-pipe, the water pump on the front of the engine can leak. If you pull your air filter out there are a few hoses there that are know to wear holes in them, and like said befor the lower rad hose can wear a hole in itself easily, make sure its straped up with zip ties. You can pressure test the coolant system. you just need a tester lol. The tester is basically just a pump that attaches to the cooling sytem where the coolant cap goes, and has a guage on it so you can read the pressure. Probable best to take the truck to a mechanic shop to have the coolant system tested for pressure, itd be cheaper than buying the equipment.

drford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You find it easyer to do with the cab on? I've never tryed that way yet. Always pulled the cab. SCT is probably the top tunner for a ford 6.0. Custom tunes are available to give you more power or delete the EGR in the computer. If you want to have big power with your 6.0 your going to need head studs and an EGR delete. I've seen EGR coolers blow and push coolant into the intake and cumbustion chamber and cuase a hydrolock kinda situation wich takes out the head gasket. oh yea Get a pyro guage so you don't melt down a piston, #8 piston is usually what melts. As far as your coolant leaking problem goes, theres a few spots i can point out that may help you find the leak, the degass bottle is know to get holes it, especially if you have a leak in your y-pipe, the water pump on the front of the engine can leak. If you pull your air filter out there are a few hoses there that are know to wear holes in them, and like said befor the lower rad hose can wear a hole in itself easily, make sure its straped up with zip ties. You can pressure test the coolant system. you just need a tester lol. The tester is basically just a pump that attaches to the cooling sytem where the coolant cap goes, and has a guage on it so you can read the pressure. Probable best to take the truck to a mechanic shop to have the coolant system tested for pressure, itd be cheaper than buying the equipment.

wouldnt say i really find it easier i have done all three ways when i worked at dealer i had a guy work for me out of edmonton who wrecked a set of head gaskets doing it that way if you are not pulling cab i can not stress how careful you gotta be putting head back it cause some studs gotta go in with head

and NEVER :nono: use hypermax gaskets they are junk the laet ford update with studs works good for what a tuner is capable of adding for power then buy ats heads and gaskets with fire rings if injector and trbo upgraded are going on otherwise the ford ones come very close to their limits studded

stevemic

Reaction score
no, that would be more like 20 to 24 hours to replace the head bolts with studs.......

try it, you'll like it...... Egr concerns all 6.0l engines.....ford diesel website has many threads on this..... Usually if your egr starts leaking, it could be a result of cylinder head gaskets leaking engine combustion gases and "superheated" coolant into the system and the solder on the egr cooler disintigrates and starts leaking too....

unplugging the egr prevents exhaust from actually going through the egr, and as a result will help prevent the egr cooler from deteriorating...... Can result in more power/gas mileage as a result
......may cause the cel to come on, in a very few trucks

more like 20 to 24 hours to do head studs and gaskets.....

first one took me 17hours,cab of crew cab so had to deal with that back seat that weighs about 150 pounds.

smokindiesel

Reaction score
How do you retorque the heads when you put in a fire ring gasket? Fire rings wear out and need a lot of retourqeing to keep them sealing. O ringing would last longer and seal the same amount of cyl pressures.

drford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
remove covers and re torque as per gasket manufactures specs have only done one set of ats truck went back down to rocky area when done he came to see me from there

Top Bottom