Edmonton oilers suck.... A venting thread

Pantherscry

Reaction score
As a born and raised Calgarian it is in my blood to dislike the Oilers, but I can't help but feel a bit bad for all you Edmonton fans. Such high hopes for the team for so many years and they just can't put it together. Hopefully the Flames can avoid the same fate.......so far so good this year:). Also I agree people need to stop going to games and buying merch. Only way to send a message.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a lengthy post on the Oiler's website a few weeks back. I spoke my mind, many fans are still too oblivious but there is still potential with much of this roster to make something happen. Not this year, but if they started now there is a chance for next year to improve greatly. People still want to believe a team that many fans cheered for year after year can have another successful streak. It is tough, and dynasty's are not likely going to happen to any team any time soon but building a team that is consistent shouldn't be that hard after a few years of rebuilding.

Many people still think the rebuild happened after the finals in 06. Unfortunately Edmonton tried to play upon that success for a few more seasons. Finishing 12'th in the conference,ahead of the Blackhawks and Kings the following season, and 9th ahead of Vancouver, Chicago and other strong Western teams in 08. All of those teams were going through their own growing pains. In 08/09 the team was supposed to to have improved. Unfortunately they hired Tambellini and 2009/2010 was what became the downward spiral of ever changing coaches, management and the signing of mediocre players. People want to say Ryan Smyth not being signed was one of the key points to their lack of success but for me, when I saw that they traded Steve Staios to the Flames in the spring of 2010 I knew there were big problems with this management. Not that Staios was a key player, but the fact that they would make a trade with the Flames. At around that time they also put a time line on the rebuild. They said it would be a six year rebuild. I cannot locate the exact media statement but here is a link from a few years ago that makes mention of the rebuild timeline. Tech Talk: Where Does The Oilers' Rebuild Stand? - The Copper & Blue

Now, we look at today, 4 years after tanking it, after taking Taylor Hall that summer (instead of Seguin which I think was a mistake but anyhow), where do they stand? With 3 total Number one picks with a 7th and 3rd now looking to take another top 5 pick. Is this acceptable for a plan that was supposed to be 6 years? I think the fans wish they were showing a lot more success in the wins category that is for sure. What else have we seen? A revolving door of coaches, net minders, trying to find pieces of the puzzle that will become the greatness known as winners, a lot of disgruntled fans and a lot of losses.

I associate the Oilers rebuild to that of the Penguins. Taking draft picks 5/1/2/1/2 from from 2002 to 2006. Whitney, Fleury, Malkin, Crosby, Staal were the best of their drafts. We can count out Whitney, but I do not believe Edmonton's picks of Hall, RNH, Yakupov, Nurse and possibly Draisaitl equal the talent of Pittsburgh's. The Pen's also had an additional year with the lock out for their players to mature, away from a losing culture and had a solid roster that was very strong from the back end out. The Pens did not get to the cup finals until 07/08 which they lost and brought home a cup in 2009. Seven years after drafting top 5, six years after drafting 1st overall. So do I expect Edmonton to be perfect 4 years into a rebuild? No. I would expect them to start rising to the occasion but that has yet to be determined.

Edmonton has had success at the lottery though. It shouldn't be hard when you are picking first. What has suffered is the later picks. Stu MacGregor may not be the only guy making the suggestions but he has been the main guy for a long time. Then we look at the management. Lowe, MacTavish, Howson, Bill Scott, Mike Sillinger, Billy Moores, Buchberger, and the coaching staff, Eakins who never coached an NHL game, Ramsay and Acton, I am unsure how much faith I have with that entire group. I think if there is a proven NHL coach available when this season ends and is willing to take on this losing machine, Eakins is gone. Katz who we have no idea whether or not is engaged with this hockey club seems to be standing pat with Lowe. We know Lowe supports MacT. I think that is where it all ends. Everyone is fair game after that.

For now we will listen to the Canucks fans, who have only gone to the finals 3 times and lost all 3, and look at the Flames with their minor league payroll enjoying some great success and hopefully see a hockey club that can be dominant again down the road.

Can the fan's deal with the bigger picture if that does lead to success?

Dakine879

Reaction score
#4 is playing like a liability rather than an asset. Really too bad to see, especially with Seguin as scoring leader. I know some of this needs to be attributed to how the team "develops" their top players, but i have a sneaking suspicion if the draft picks were reversed, Hall would not be the scoring leader 2014-15 thus far....

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who would you rather have had, Hall and RNH or Seguin and Landeskog? I would rather the second pairing. Hall was reckless in junior, they knew that. They thought that was a great quality because he would drive to the net. Problem is, he can't stay on his skates against men.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dakine879

Reaction score
S & L for sure. Hopefully Hall can turn the corner and mature somewhat and prove me wrong. Hockey is so much faster these days compared to when i used to really watch and was a fan...

prey for more (any) snow...

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ugh.... we were at the game sunday and I just checked out. Ended up playing around on Twitter the entire night. It was awful!!

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Their last game against the Rangers they managed a total of 16 shots. Ouch!
As a Flames fan, I'd like it if the Oilers can get back on track. The rivalry with the Flames was great and somehow I didn't develop a real dislike for opposing players, like I have with certain Canucks. :)

Unfortunately, it's like a train wreck and I can't help but watch.
Good luck. You'll need it with that management group. Oh and someone please smack Principe and stop those over the top corny jokes.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Another loss, I'm kinda thinking that after this season some moves can be made, there will be some good teams not making it past the first round of the playoffs. With that, possibly some teams will see the need for potential smaller faster forwards (similar to cogliano) required in their roster and this will be a time when the Oilers can deal 1 or more of the smaller first rounders. This team needs to get bigger or at least play bigger. The first rounders (and there are too many) will never be the solution. Hopefully a bigger center, a bigger defenseman can come back in return. A heavy shot is required on the blue line. No respect, no room given to the current group.
Lowe needs to stop giving unproven players big dollar, long term contracts. (Slap him silly when he thinks this)

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
another loss, i'm kinda thinking that after this season some moves can be made, there will be some good teams not making it past the first round of the playoffs. With that, possibly some teams will see the need for potential smaller faster forwards (similar to cogliano) required in their roster and this will be a time when the oilers can deal 1 or more of the smaller first rounders. This team needs to get bigger or at least play bigger. The first rounders (and there are too many) will never be the solution. Hopefully a bigger center, a bigger defenseman can come back in return. A heavy shot is required on the blue line. No respect, no room given to the current group.
Lowe needs to stop giving unproven players big dollar, long term contracts. (slap him silly when he thinks this)

that's the problem... No accountability at the top..... Sitting in his ivory tower, lowe thinks everything is hunky dory, because ticket sales are all time high and merchandise record sales. He'd get the message if attendance and sales dropped. He's such an arrogant pompous azz, out of touch with reality, because he himself has a $2 millon contract per year, plus bonuses, and makes a good smoke screen in front of katz. Lowe and mact both need gone, and start a proper rebuild. After all, if there's a poisonous snake, you chop the head off to kill it... Start from the head down. Lowe flashing his 6 stanley cup rings in katz's face and telling everyone he "knows how to win".... He has yet to prove that in the last 8 years of rebuilds. And now they're calling this season another rebuild, and probably next year as well? Omg........... From a disgruntled oilers fan, i'm just as frustrated and disappointed as the next fan :(

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
that's the problem... No accountability at the top..... Sitting in his ivory tower, lowe thinks everything is hunky dory, because ticket sales are all time high and merchandise record sales. He'd get the message if attendance and sales dropped. He's such an arrogant pompous azz, out of touch with reality, because he himself has a $2 millon contract per year, plus bonuses, and makes a good smoke screen in front of katz. Lowe and mact both need gone, and start a proper rebuild. After all, if there's a poisonous snake, you chop the head off to kill it... Start from the head down. Lowe flashing his 6 stanley cup rings in katz's face and telling everyone he "knows how to win".... He has yet to prove that in the last 8 years of rebuilds. And now they're calling this season another rebuild, and probably next year as well? Omg........... From a disgruntled oilers fan, i'm just as frustrated and disappointed as the next fan :(

Yes, and the other issue is that they are stuck on #1 draft picks are untradeable and will lead them to the promise land. Alot of empty seats are now beginning to be noticed, even if they are paid for, its still money not being spent on the overpriced northlands hotdogs, burgers, beer, merchandise. I only go for the 50/50. But, even that is decreasing.

When a person goes shopping at a mall and leaves 2 tickets to an oilers game on their dash and their car is broken into and they come back to find 4 tickets on the dash, now thats pathetic, LOL

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
yes, and the other issue is that they are stuck on #1 draft picks are untradeable and will lead them to the promise land. Alot of empty seats are now beginning to be noticed, even if they are paid for, its still money not being spent on the overpriced northlands hotdogs, burgers, beer, merchandise. I only go for the 50/50. But, even that is decreasing.

When a person goes shopping at a mall and leaves 2 tickets to an oilers game on their dash and their car is broken into and they come back to find 4 tickets on the dash, now thats pathetic, lol

yup, unreal....... Did you see the interview with george laracque and he pointed out the numerous empty seats in the rink? I think that possibly opened a few eyes that it really is happening. Fans starting to show serious frustration.......

the other thing that pissed me off, was the interviews with oiler players after Eakins was fired, and every one of them said we'll just have to play better, and up to their potential........ well wtf? they're professionals and should give their 100% every single game. I still think players should be paid some flat rate pay per year, and larger incentive pay for performance targets.

Last edited:
Top Bottom