Edmonton Evening Storm July 18,09

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Well Im sure people got some stories to tell allready about the nasty storm that hit us tonight.

I met someone to give them BVJ tickets near downtown. Then headed home, it started hailing heavy, like bigger than quarters, some loonie size. I was just waiting for my windows to smash. Wow! what a noise. So I Pull over, next thing a tree breaks, I grab a photo. Then as its letting off a bit I start heading towards 82ave, going to go via Wayne Gretsky drive. Thres cops all around the CN tower, and what a mess, the whole front concrete soffit has collapsed, theres a few cars underneath. Not one fire truck yet. Then finally got towards WG drive, trying to avoid anywhere else as the south side is completly Black, well the east end is completly black as well. And people seem to forget what to do when the power is out at lights. So I see the backed up traffic and head towards 34 St, just after I crossed the river. Then when I got to sherwood park freeway and 34 st, Theres this wire sparking all over the place moving like a snake. I backed up put my hazards on and my fog lights. Called epcor and nothing, decided I better call 911. Well I was on hold for over 5 minutes, wow. But then waited for the Firetrucks and blocked traffic. The wire stopped moving and sparking by then. Here is a picture. By looking at all the trees, and damage around and listining to 630 ched, its sounds like we had a heck of a storm. I hope no one was hurt. And Im not looking foward to looking at my truck tommorow when its light.

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 25
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 27
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 26

jeepchic

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow that bites.....you can keep that crap up there....dont send it south okay....LOL

Hope all are okay too.....:eek:

jeepchic

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funnel clouds too....Yikes....did any touch down that you know of....

• Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
When I was speaking to the firefighters he said every fire station had all there trucks out. And there calling additional people in. I can't imagine all the people at the Capital X today, the mad rush to get into the Agricom, alot of soaked people. 108 km hr wind reported at the municipal airport.

Last edited:

jeepchic

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did the storm disipate or did it just move on....any word....

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow that's crazy. Me and my bride were sitting on the deck drinking beers yesterday afternoon watching the huge hail clouds coming in and thinking we're going to get nailed. Then around 6 these huge black clouds went to the South and North of us. We could hear the thunder banging all around us for hours. We got a bit of rain but that was it. We were lucky.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
YA, WE FINISHED STAINING THE DECKS AND FENCES ABOUT 5 HOURS BEFORE THE RAIN HIT.... SHOULD BE OKAY!!! WOOD WAS SOAKING IT IN AS FAST AS WE COULD PAINT IT ON ALMOST... SITTING ON BROTHER IN-LAWS DECK LAST NITE HAVING A FEW BUDLITE LIMES, WHEN THE STORM CAME ROLLING IN!!!:beer::d:beer:

Carbon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah funny thing we came to ed. to drop off sled clutch and get a NEW back window:eek::eek:we where by sandman on stoney plain there and they keeped calling for thunderstorm warnings.but no clouds?????.and then around 5-530 they started coming fast from west and raising miles high..so at 6ish it started.the clouds opened up and we got the hell out there as we left south of ed. you could see the power in that crazy looking storm.still have new window toooo....yeah you guys can keep stuff like that up there:d:d

dial-up or Id have some sick pic's

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
We were just north west of Darwell and we only got a little light show and a few drum rolls, and very little rain. Glad it did not hit that hard in a campground.

OLIVE DRAB DEAN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can remember when the tornado hit Sherwood Park years ago. We had just went there to get our pay checks from Widney Well Servicing, cashed them and was heading to Pucks for afternoon brews. All was good in Sherwood Park at that time. We got to the mall and the rain was sideways, it was dark as hell out at 4 pm in the afternoon, crazy weather.
I hope no one was hurt in this weather system.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
My mother inlaw lives in an older neighborhood with all the huge tress on the boulevards and every block they is trees blocking the road it looks like a war zone 70+ year old trees snapped like twigs. We got through it good... most of my neighbors had damage shingles, sofit, siding, gazebos, umbrellas, and satelite dishes spread all over the neighborhood.

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah i was in Sherwood park all weekend and it was wicked there.. went for a drive lastnight and got cought right in the middle of the hail, thoughti was going to loose a window and have a nice dented truck, but it was ok..
i know i seen Summitric shop wiht part of the roof from the liquor depo blowing by.

but it was a good lightning storm tho. we dont get to see many of thoes in Calgary thats for sure.

Dylan.B

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
one of my grandpas trees in his back yard snaped in half and is know laying on the neighbors garage. I was in hinton when it happened and it hardly even rained.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was out in driving at the time in the park and my truck felt like it was going to lift off the ground ive never felt that before in my life.

we were chaining up to trees on broadmoar blvd and hauling them off the road no one could get through at one point.

and the liquor depot on wye road had there storefront canopy and frame come off right infront of me and smash into the car behind me. the guy was ok but lost a door/window/mirror. i saw lightning hit the gas plant and wow what an explosion. pretty creepy also on the north side of the park all the power was out it was like a ghost town. not even traffic lights

Top Bottom