engine break in, possible problems?

Irocaz

Reaction score
So we bought 2 brand new 15' summit sport 800's and just got back from our first weekend out with them.

we did our first fire up in the shop at home and noticed the wife's sled smoked like crazy. I Called the dealer and was told it should be fine, one may have been started a few more times then the other at the dealership and it should clear up during break in. The next day we loaded them and hers was supper boggy and smoking like Crazy again.

we got out to Clemina earlier on thursday to do a break-In on the trail. started with a full tank of fuel and oil. The wife is fairly fresh to snowmobiles, but we rode at a good speed and keeping throttle varied with intention of also the belt break-in. At 22km she seen the oil light came on, used 3x as much oil and 2x the fuel as my identical sled.

I jumped on the sled and we headed back to the staging area. was completely gutless and boggy feeling, I rode it for 2km thinking there was a injection pump problem or something with the amount of oil it used.... Pulled over and looked over the whole machine to find out the 1 spark plug wire was just sitting ontop the head!!! excess oil came out through the exhaust donut and splattered all over. sled fired up and cleared up within seconds.

Do you guys feel like I am going to have a long term effect on the engine with this happening? The cyl definitely had a ton of oil going into it, just no combustion. we bought these to have reliability going to the mountains, I feel like this hasn't been the best start

Irocaz

Reaction score
Good thing we pay for PDI

Yeah no kidding, on my sled the tail light does not work and the handle bars dropped right down after going over a small drift. Just about went over the hood..... that was fun, and then I was on the wife's later on and same thing! guess I shal be spending a evening going through them myself now

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is why I always make sure to double check any work I've had the dealer do.... even there pdi's. I'm not sure on this. But I would think if it's been getting oil it'll probly be alright.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So we bought 2 brand new 15' summit sport 800's and just got back from our first weekend out with

we did our first fire up in the shop at home and noticed the wife's sled smoked like crazy. I Called the dealer and was told it should be fine, one may have been started a few more times then the other at the dealership and it should clear up during break in. The next day we loaded them and hers was supper boggy and smoking like Crazy again.

we got out to Clemina earlier on thursday to do a break-In on the trail. started with a full tank of fuel and oil. The wife is fairly fresh to snowmobiles, but we rode at a good speed and keeping throttle varied with intention of also the belt break-in. At 22km she seen the oil light came on, used 3x as much oil and 2x the fuel as my identical sled.

I jumped on the sled and we headed back to the staging area. was completely gutless and boggy feeling, I rode it for 2km thinking there was a injection pump problem or something with the amount of oil it used.... Pulled over and looked over the whole machine to find out the 1 spark plug wire was just sitting ontop the head!!! excess oil came out through the exhaust donut and splattered all over. sled fired up and cleared up within seconds.

Do you guys feel like I am going to have a long term effect on the engine with this happening? The cyl definitely had a ton of oil going into it, just no combustion. we bought these to have reliability going to the mountains, I feel like this hasn't been the best start

Let the dealer know about it and that's why it's nice to have warranty. They are good sleds, like you said just had bad start.

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think your engine will be just fine. I'm afraid this might be the way of the world now a days, if you want something done right you got to do it your self.. Nothing like paying $130/hr for a high school kid to work on your stuff, who's pants are so tight they can hardly move, and one eye covered with there hair the other glued on face club. If you get a good dealer ship you have to hang on to them. There is some real garbage out there! But you can't say anything because everyone is a wiener. Oh I mean winner. I hope you can get these little issues figured out so you can enjoy them!

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will be fine. The etec protects it self really good. If it was an oil line the fell off then a different story but and spark plug cap no.

I had am old 470 mxz and it was running like **** so I had it on a stand running it, had the hood up listening to it. When it was revving as high as it would go I noticed the spark plug cap would vibrate lots. So not being to smart I grabbed it and lifted up on the cap. It came off that plug and WOW did that ever shock me! Never ever do that lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Irocaz

Reaction score
The sports are actually the old ptek, not sure what kind of protection they would have in the computer?

We got a really good deal on them with 3 yr warranty. At the time we were looking, for the same price we would of gotten a 3 yr old etek with 2500km

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah no kidding, on my sled the tail light does not work and the handle bars dropped right down after going over a small drift. Just about went over the hood..... that was fun, and then I was on the wife's later on and same thing! guess I shal be spending a evening going through them myself now

I would suggest you call the BRP customer care number and let them know what has happened to you so far. And look for a new dealer, not sure where your located but I have found that the closest does not mean the best... :p

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Give her a good hard run ( sled not the wife) to make sure all or most of the excess oil is burnt out of engine, pipe ad muffler. Should be fine though. You're not the first. Maybe first with new sled,guys with faulty plug wires etc have done similar.

The Kickass One

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you want to buy a ski-doo talk with Jordan with Motortech in Golden. Best all around sled/dealer guy who knows his chit!!

• Recommends
Reactions: DTH
Top Bottom