eBikes and related things.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Id be looking for some thing for paved trails in red deer. With a tiny bit of dirt.

Dont need a motor for lift access down hilling. Its the up hilling thats when it would be nice lol
I have a feeling once you ride one you will want to ride more trails.
Go to an actual bike shop, not princess auto or flaman sales to buy an ebike.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling once you ride one you will want to ride more trails.
Go to an actual bike shop, not princess auto or flaman sales to buy an ebike.

I Like riding trails, it is fun. but i have seadoo, dirt bikes, quads, cars, rv, street bikes, fishing boat and all kinds of chit i have no time for.

Just want a cheap townie. 😇

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I want one with throttle. Dont care if its legal, cause no one else does in red deer.
Fair enough, but worst case is municipalities ban all ebikes. This is a real issue, ebike opponents are fighting the use of them in towns.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fair enough, but worst case is municipalities ban all ebikes. This is a real issue, ebike opponents are fighting the use of them in towns.

You got to come to red deer. People ride mx bikes on the trails, home less people set up camps where ever they want on these trails.

E bikes is low on the list of local trail concerns

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you looking for a pedal assist, or a bike like a surron?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to be able to pedal, or just throttle if i feel like it. Nieghbor has a fat tire bike from princess auto and he loves it.

I fully understand its not in the same league as a 10g rocky mountain. If i thought i was going to be spending a lot of time with it on the trails in BC i could totally see it being a blast.

I just want something for taking a quick burn from my door step in red deer, get some fresh air ext. And if it gets stolen like my last 5 bikes did i wont care..

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I Like riding trails, it is fun. but i have seadoo, dirt bikes, quads, cars, rv, street bikes, fishing boat and all kinds of chit i have no time for.

Just want a cheap townie. 😇
[/QUOTE
You got to come to red deer. People ride mx bikes on the trails, home less people set up camps where ever they want on these trails.

E bikes is low on the list of local trail concerns
Oh I know, but imo its the same as sledding in Caribou closures.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No Caibou in red deer. Lots of normal deer and crackheads though.

In panorama i can see respecting laws n stuff.

In red deer that just makes you a sucker.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I want to be able to pedal, or just throttle if i feel like it. Nieghbor has a fat tire bike from princess auto and he loves it.

I fully understand its not in the same league as a 10g rocky mountain. If i thought i was going to be spending a lot of time with it on the trails in BC i could totally see it being a blast.

I just want something for taking a quick burn from my door step in red deer, get some fresh air ext. And if it gets stolen like my last 5 bikes did i wont care..

I misunderstood you. I actually didn’t know that was available, what I thought you meant by “throttle” was hitting the button on the bars to activate the motor.
So there are bikes out there that will power the drive without pedalling?

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I cant wear a helmet your houner due too me being Irish Muslim...

God doesn't permit it...
20240202_140742.jpg

If your wearing a pale your not far enough over the back tire... lol

I do pale up if I go rad rad,,, other then that no way...

Who wants too bag a bull elk with a helmet on...

Lol

Hunting and fishing by bike with a helmet sucks,,, then the bears show up and eat the Vuck-ing thing,,, wear a helmet after a bear Vucked with it...

Oh Boy

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I misunderstood you. I actually didn’t know that was available, what I thought you meant by “throttle” was hitting the button on the bars to activate the motor.
So there are bikes out there that will power the drive without pedalling?

Ya man, buddy's from princess auto has full electric cruise mode. Has a huge battery. 350 watt motor. Ive seen it going on flat and it rips. Up hill might need to pedal a bit i dont know.

Id get the same one, but its sold out

Last edited:

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes,,, don't fear the bafang rear hubs with big battery,,, they won't climb like the mid drives and easier on energy delivery but there better then nothing...

Rule of Thumb...
500 watt rear hub for 200 + lb riders...
750 watt for heavier then 200++
The 1000 watt hubs rock but they suck up power fast... lol
Don't count out the 350 watt units,,, there not far off the mark...

580 watt batteries are good for some distance,,, some of the newer bikes showing up have 800 too 850 watt,,, fairly good range out of those batteries...

Just throwing out ideas is all...

It's still a learning curve for this old timer...

Some folks are packing a second battery for some rides...

There's nothing wrong with taking kool down times depending in climbs,,, its easier on the batteries ,,, wires,,, motor...

Head for snow line ,,, it kools things down fast

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m new to Ebikes so might be wrong but I think the nM is the torque you get and the watts is more related to how much range you have ( like how big your fuel tank is). Mine is 85 nM and is pretty decent for power. I looked up specs and it is 650 watts but for “ regulatory reasons ( legal in Canada and US) it is rated at 350 watts .

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

This is a good price. I had this bike 3000 km. Never wrecked the thing. Rode it so fast in the river trails the tree roots would pop the chain off when not peddling. lol
17.5 amp hr battery would give me 50 km easy going up and down all the hills in Edmonton River Valley. I’m 230 pounds. My brothers kids get twice the range at 140 pounds.

My brother has four kids. They beat the ch!t out of theirs. This is a great bike and it’s on sale right now. I believe I paid 2800 for mine three years ago at Riverside Yamaha. Getting it from motorcycle shop if you need parts, they will push hard for Maverick distributing with warranty and parts, etc.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m new to Ebikes so might be wrong but I think the nM is the torque you get and the watts is more related to how much range you have ( like how big your fuel tank is). Mine is 85 nM and is pretty decent for power. I looked up specs and it is 650 watts but for “ regulatory reasons ( legal in Canada and US) ite is rated at 350 watts .

The battery will have a rating in amp hours or watt hours maybe, but they also rate the motor output in watts on most the bikes ive looked at. Some give you the torque rating too.

745.7 watts = 1 hp

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should check out battery boss in red deer. They have e bikes. What I like about them is they can service and replace the batteries in store. Not just disposable. Worth checking out anyway.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are some safety concerns with Chinese chargers overcharging and causing fires.
I read an article that looked into a bunch of fires and all were cheaper knock of brand bikes and scooters.
Don't charge without supervision.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reframe from charging battery after a ride if hot or cold,,, let it warm up too regular room temps...

They will last longer...

Think of them as a lap-top battery and how many years or decades will it last...

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh so they arent good quaility like a milwaukee battery? Haha

Im sure the expensive ones are better, just like with tools.

Good thing with a cheaper bike, is you just get another one. Hopefully get a few years out of them.

And hopefully it doesnt burn your house down.

Top Bottom