eBikes and related things.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don’t even know where to start. Which e-bikes are the way to go for town or mellow trail riding?

Sold my dirtbike last year as hardly used, ability to ride from home on an ebike is what I’d like to do more of.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's hard too say with the 4 catagories of bikes too choose from,,, it would sure be nice too catch a ebike open house ride that allows a person too try out a few different model's ...

A few things that I looked at was:

1 - Service and reliably
2 - Bike components in reliably
3 - Type of riding and terrain
4 - Costs since there is no free ride
5 - Over all costs over time

ect...

Im new into this,,, ill ask my bike shop friend this same question too see what he says since he gets asked this lots...

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My friend said it'd be nice too finding a shop that will let a person test ride a few bikes...

If your local dealer dosen't offer that then head too the next town...

Nothing wrong with finding that bike that fits the needs and wants...

Avoid Ferrnie and Bragg Creek unless your intrested in going rad... lol

Just say'ing is all...

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Old standard is ready too go...
20240302_131006.jpg

Imdoo'n is joining in on this years Mountain Climb... Ha

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don’t even know where to start. Which e-bikes are the way to go for town or mellow trail riding?

Sold my dirtbike last year as hardly used, ability to ride from home on an ebike is what I’d like to do more of.
Lots to choose from, really depends on how much cash you want to spend.
All the big manufacturers Trek, Specialized, Norco Santa Cruz etc have multiple choices. Motor size is typically 85nm power motor with 750 w battery or 50-65 nm with 450 w Battery. Weights are 50lbs for the big motors and as low as 38lbs for the small motors.
Dollar wise they start at $5k up to 18k.
All manufacturers have large discounts on right now. Good time to buy.
I would suggest riding a few like lem said.
See what you like.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Up and att'em
20240309_120736.jpg

Fish Creek Winter trail (s) of end-less !!!

Great weekend all

Ps::: feels like +15,,, mega bonus...

Don

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I have neighbours who cheaped out on their bikes. We are into the lower end but better quality bikes and ours were $6000 a piece. They are electric assist bikes (there isn’t a thumb switch to work the motor and be in all electric mode) and we have to keep pedalling to keep going unless going down hill of course. They have been great bikes and no broken parts.
Our neighbours bikes were below the $2000 mark for each bike and they have been a constant headache with broken parts. Both bikes have the thumb switch for constant electric power which is nice in some instances.
Like said above, many brands to choose from. I agree with buying locally (if the price isn’t way out there) so that you can get service.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crappy deal for your nabour folks Ferniesnow,,, that would be frustrating alright,,, get what We pay for I guess...

My bike is frugal but my bike shop friend brought them in because the manufacturer stands behind their product or the deal off in order for my friend too handle that brand...

If the manufacturer says no to honest warranty then future sales of that brand are done...

It's not worth my friends time or his customers too put up with b.s. Concider-ing the mark-up values...

Find shop that will let you test ride a few bikes and ask that question,,, is there warranty on xxx components,,, for how long on each part bike & electronics and how much and long would it take too get replacement parts ((( if ))) it were too go down...

My frugal bike is built on a complete bafang package,,, lots of replacement parts and batteries ((( if ))) needed...

Do not pressure wash,,, prevent mud and water build up if at all possible,,, keep dry and look after it...

Lifes simple that way...

I keep my battery and all controls wraped with covers all the time when in transport,,, battery cover all the time when riding...
20231216_121937.jpg

I'm doing a splash guard for the spring too fall months...

Everything is water proof till its not,,, why find out when its easy too take a few extra steps at keeping the battery and contacts clear of water & mud...

One less thing too worry about when putting on the miles...

I'm closing in on the 1600 km mark,,, 200 ish kms e-assist with 1400 kms analog ,,, hopefully i pull off 4 or 6000 kms before replacing the e-hub...

20240309_134627.jpg

Felt like +15 today,,, 54 kms,,, relaxing pace of 98% analog,,, 2 % e...

Lots of bush trails,,, next too nill for humans,,, 90 ++ % frozen creeks,,, patches of slab showing,,, snow & ice in tree sections...

7 trail dusters
4 Cofffeee Vokacheeno breaks
Great veiws
Ran the thickets
100's of log jumps
Hike a Bike in a few sections
Lots of slower pedal bike speeds
E-assist on a few climbs
Mostly flat less river bank edges

Beauty day for part 1,,, back at it tommrow...

20240309_144057.jpg

Cheers all

Don

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My oh my,,, these Kow town trails rock...
20240217_092033.jpg

Just load up and go,,, don't bank on the weather since its a 50/50 crap shoot at best...

Prep your day then log on the miles...

Slab,,, grit,,, snow,,, ice,,, rock and muck...
20231231_124624.jpg

100's if-not 1000's of crash zones await the weary,,, trail dusters are free,,, the next latest and greatest obstacle (s) are up-ahead...

The pepole are great,,, lots of kool looking units ripping it up,,, old-school meets new school...

Ran across a 90 year young rider on the trail on 1 sweet standard analog mtb,,, hes just closing in on his 25.000 km mark over the last 2 years...

He thought about a e-bike but said said he's not old enough yet... lol

This chap definitely carrys his passion on his sleeves,,, I thought Id keep pace with him on my e-bike but it wasn't ment too be...

There are alot of riders out there that would be challenged keeping pace with him,,, he definitely turned it on when we got into the tight twistys...

90 year young rad mtb'er...

I hope im in as good a shape """ if """ i make it that far...

Got too run,,, the Enchanted trails are calling...

Cheers all

Don

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My oh my,,, these Kow town trails rock...
View attachment 280689

Just load up and go,,, don't bank on the weather since its a 50/50 crap shoot at best...

Prep your day then log on the miles...

Slab,,, grit,,, snow,,, ice,,, rock and muck...
View attachment 280690

100's if-not 1000's of crash zones await the weary,,, trail dusters are free,,, the next latest and greatest obstacle (s) are up-ahead...

The pepole are great,,, lots of kool looking units ripping it up,,, old-school meets new school...

Ran across a 90 year young rider on the trail on 1 sweet standard analog mtb,,, hes just closing in on his 25.000 km mark over the last 2 years...

He thought about a e-bike but said said he's not old enough yet... lol

This chap definitely carrys his passion on his sleeves,,, I thought Id keep pace with him on my e-bike but it wasn't ment too be...

There are alot of riders out there that would be challenged keeping pace with him,,, he definitely turned it on when we got into the tight twistys...

90 year young rad mtb'er...

I hope im in as good a shape """ if """ i make it that far...

Got too run,,, the Enchanted trails are calling...

Cheers all

Don
only way to make it to 90 there Lem may be less knocking the noodle on the tree trunks? ha. good luck making it to 90! you can doo it

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personal opinion and no offence to those that ride responsibly on their bikes. But as far as im concerned these things you should have a licence and some sort of plate on them to hold people accountable.. Im sick of seeing people riding these on the walking path as fast as they can (going way faster than the traffic on the street) weaving around people that are enjoying the day, its only a matter of time before one of these idiots hit someone and kill them. its not just the young people i have seen all ages doing this.. Heck i have even had some pass me on the street..

A good product for the people that do not have the strength to use a standard bike or bad knees like me, but the rest of you that are quite capable of riding a standard bike quit being so lazy...LOL.. i use to love riding my bike and miss it..

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dont worry ,,, those days are coming...

$$$

The majority of folks are awesome,,, it only takes 1 or more too cause havoc...

No worse then folks driving cars and trucks on the sidewalks...

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personal opinion and no offence to those that ride responsibly on their bikes. But as far as im concerned these things you should have a licence and some sort of plate on them to hold people accountable.. Im sick of seeing people riding these on the walking path as fast as they can (going way faster than the traffic on the street) weaving around people that are enjoying the day, its only a matter of time before one of these idiots hit someone and kill them. its not just the young people i have seen all ages doing this.. Heck i have even had some pass me on the street..

A good product for the people that do not have the strength to use a standard bike or bad knees like me, but the rest of you that are quite capable of riding a standard bike quit being so lazy...LOL.. i use to love riding my bike and miss it..
How about this, people who wear ear buds and stare at their phone while walking down the middle of a pathway should be banned, they are oblivious to what is happening around them and are a hazard to people on bikes having fun... lol

I suggest you go and demo an ebike if you enjoyed riding bikes, I guarantee you will be taking it home.

Top Bottom