East Kootenay Crown land closed

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Leaves are falling intact (I don't know where they are coming from) and very fragile. I don't understand how they can travel the distance and still be whole. Lots of ash as seen on the gazebo cover and a bright red sun through the smoke.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Huge smoke plume south of Elko. Not sure if some of it is coming from there or not. Hopefully the supposed rain we have coming wed/thur drops enough to slow the fires down.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Calgary Fire sent members and trucks down south

315c64905a158524df31d5e0c6a5155e.jpg

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Interesting smoke plume over our western mountains tonight. Don't know if it is a new fire or whether the smoke was blown in from another fire. Photo taken from the back yard and as the crow flies, the ridge would be 5 km away.

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure which fire it is from but my sister in a Lethbridge said there was ash on everything around her place.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Odd how the smoke blew in this evening. Lower pic is the leading edge. Like fernie said it almost looked like a new fire. Hope not.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's probably from the white river fire, It's a big one. Fire crews had to pull out the other day.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The White River Complex fire is a too far north. Here is an excerpt from BCWildfires regarding the Quinn Creek fire.......

This lightning caused fire originated in the Quinn Creek area, and winds moved it into the Bull Creek drainage. The fire has been very active on the northern area of the fire within the Bull Creek drainage, with smoke and ash visible in the Elkford and Sparwood area.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
She don't seem to care either. Been laying there for an hour now watching me work on my truck.

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got an evacuation notice from S&R. Covers the whole elk valley. Not too worried yet.

http://www.thefreepress.ca/news/sparwood-north-to-bingay-creek-under-evacuation-alert/

Correction. Evacuation ALERT. Notice means you leave. Got it here at my sons place just north of Sparwood too. Frick! I can't go anywhere to get a way from this chit. Checked my place at Moyie today. Looks like the safest place in the valley. Won't let me in though.

Looking north towards Elkford is pretty ugly. Betting Ferniesnow is a little busy right now. Use this alert wisely up there folks. They give you zero time after an evacuation "notice" is issued. We never got an alert. They went straight to a notice. Was a chit show.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Computer and a booklet of passwords, passports, wife's jewelry, insurance papers, all the wall pictures, vehicle keys, wallet and purse, loose cash around the house, prescriptions, wife's working uniforms, and our toiletry bags.

Already took pictures of the house and possessions.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
That's what my son just said. :rolleyes:

If you decide you need a hand with anything Doug I'm only 20 minutes away. 250-420-1356 cell

Thanks Ken. Should be alright. Wife will be here after work this evening and I have a son here finishing a roof. Just gonna throw everything in the trailer and go for a drive. Gas tank is full and just keep it between the lines and see where it takes us.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ken. Should be alright. Wife will be here after work this evening and I have a son here finishing a roof. Just gonna throw everything in the trailer and go for a drive. Gas tank is full and just keep it between the lines and see where it takes us.

If you get evacuated make sure you register with both the Red Cross and wherever the local sign up is for disaster relief. You get a daily allowance for food. Clothing allowance if you tell them you got out with nothing. Billetting allowance if you stay with someone. Money from Red Cross is $600 every 14 days, though don't hold your breath. I haven't seen a dime of that. Sure is easy to "donate" money on their website though. The provincial disaster aid is instant. :headscratch3:

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Computer and a booklet of passwords, passports, wife's jewelry, insurance papers, all the wall pictures, vehicle keys, wallet and purse, loose cash around the house, prescriptions, wife's working uniforms, and our toiletry bags.

Already took pictures of the house and possessions.
Sorry to hear this Doug. If you need a place to stay you are welcome to stay at my place in Fernie or you can come stay with us in Lethbridge. Let me know.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2 Doug we have a whole floor for you and yours if you need it.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Best of luck to all of you out there.
I know it's further away, but I have lot's of room to park a few trailers here, if need be.

Top Bottom