Eagle Valley / Sicamous Updates 2015/16

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snow conditions still very decent up top ! alot of the common areas are all tracked up - u just have to find those "S" spots ! temps are around 0 to -2 degrees up top ! snow has settled but still pretty good ! Went into video bowl played a bit - it has slides abit but nothing to major - climbed out the hill just passed skinny and vetured up into super bowl - area pretty wind blown ! went down to morton - zoomed across lake few times and then up avy hill and then went to Mara Lookout - was very windy up top ! Was first time for wife and daughter to take in the spectacular view ! Then venture down and headed back into the lower meadows where we found some untouched meadows and had our lunch! Played for abit and then out played through the valleys and then dropped back into superbowl ! Went back through video - since my two parnters dont like skinny ridge ( lol ) and then headed to the lakes just before cabin and played in the trees ! Was awesome day !

Attachments

• 20160318_141747.jpg
    20160318_141747.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 295
  • 20160319_133643.jpg
    20160319_133643.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 296
  • 20160318_103321.jpg
    20160318_103321.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 292

BillDozer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For those of us that are not experts can you please explain the snow pack your holding?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like a weak layer 25-30cm down that broke off their pit they dug. Pretty significant layer in that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was doing a little digging this past weekend when my dash GPS gave me a signal of close proximity signal to a lost hand held garmin - there was about little over a foot of soft snow on a definite hard layer of snow - layer almost crusty ! Made me think of what could be waiting to come down !

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was doing a little digging this past weekend when my dash GPS gave me a signal of close proximity signal to a lost hand held garmin - there was about little over a foot of soft snow on a definite hard layer of snow - layer almost crusty ! Made me think of what could be waiting to come down !
Did u find gregs??

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didnt but - for some reason my hand held would not locate it - my dash mount told me I was in close proximity but only zooms in to a 20ft radius - gonna bring out metal detector next time and c if we can find it

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For those of us that are not experts can you please explain the snow pack your holding?

I am no expert. I am a student. Wes is holding the top 35-40cm which is a storm slab. It sheared straight off clean, with minimal blows. There is also another very slippery one again at 70cm and a persistent layer down appx 1.2m with potential for large slab avalanches. This pit was dug on a south facing slope of 32 degrees, between Eco and Video, adjacent to a small cornice people have been dropping. There is lots of heavy wind loading and huge cornices on most NE aspects as shown in the first pic, looking up towards Mt Mara from Skinny Ridge. Im sure I got some terminology wrong, but I'm sure glad I made the effort to enroll in the course and get some hands on practice and training today. I look forward to tomorrows lessons

Last edited:

BillDozer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cheers Thank you
I am no expert. I am a student. Wes is holding the top 35-40cm which is a storm slab. It sheared straight off clean, with minimal blows. There is also another very slippery one again at 70cm and a persistent layer down appx 1.2m with potential for large slab avalanches. This pit was dug on a south facing slope of 32 degrees, between Eco and Video, adjacent to a small cornice people have been dropping. There is lots of heavy wind loading and huge cornices on most NE aspects as shown in the first pic, looking up towards Mt Mara from Skinny Ridge. Im sure I got some terminology wrong, but I'm sure glad I made the effort to enroll in the course and get some hands on practice and training today. I look forward to tomorrows lessons

niloc

Reaction score
Anybody got any updates for the road up to Quest? Going up this weekend with two four place trailers can we turn around at km 6-7ish and park? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Big nasty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was up to quesst on Saturday and the road in was good to 6.5km and lots of room to turn around big trailers. The end of the day the lot was really muddy but you shouldn't have too much trouble. Have fun!

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like --- did everyone quit sledding - no recent posts or updates !??

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like --- did everyone quit sledding - no recent posts or updates !??
Yes it was very good, AL said they couldn't get off Morton over into hunters

We had fresh tracks all over eco, Bob bar, Terry's meadows
Al stopped by for a beer yesterday... Said it was awesome up there...
My leash got shortened for the weekend, thats all I got buddy! Lol

aocbiz

Reaction score
Rode Blue yesterday, there was probably a foot or so of fresh.
No other tracks but our own.
Snow was getting pretty sticky by the end of the day.

Top Bottom