Eagle Valley (Sicamous) Updates 2014/15

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
about 3 inches in yard so far so fingers crossed it is adding up at elevation.

Shermanator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We got a total of 4-6" of wet heavy crap by this AM, so should be more up top. Silver Star had 4" of fresh the night before so there should be a foot of new up there. Just a FYI for those that don't read the Sicamous Sled site, Queest is now open and being groomed from 6km to the cabin. Unloading is at 6km for trucks with no trailers, VHF radio required during the week due to logging down below..........Sherm

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We got a total of 4-6" of wet heavy crap by this AM, so should be more up top. Silver Star had 4" of fresh the night before so there should be a foot of new up there. Just a FYI for those that don't read the Sicamous Sled site, Queest is now open and being groomed from 6km to the cabin. Unloading is at 6km for trucks with no trailers, VHF radio required during the week due to logging down below..........Sherm

Flyer

Reaction score
I work in the resource industry, and have VHF radios available to bring along. Queest on Friday could be awesome! What is the resource road frequency required?

We are beginers, probably ranging 10 days to multiple years of experience. The least experienced is the most fit! Any chance you'd allow us to follow you in and point out some local knowledge on Friday? We wouldn't hold you up all day.

We we wouldn't be too early getting going. Have to pick up two rentals Friday morning. I might have to make two trips in from where ever we can leave a trailer with my deck. There are four of us. Two machines are on a trailer.

Shermanator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Flyer, I'd suggest you try one of the other hills to save yourself some time on Friday, rather than having to make multiple trips. If your staying "down town" the Owlshead parking lot is right there and you wouldn't be spending allot of time driving back and forth ferrying sleds about, just a thought....Sherm

Flyer

Reaction score
I kind of had my heart set on Queest, and finding out that it's just opening now makes even more enticing. I didn't know that trailers were a problem there. I'll check with the group and see what they say.

Can you explain the trailer restriction? Is parking a problem, or the road in is tricky with a trailer? It'll be an open two place.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Queest isn't just opening. People have been riding there all winter, just not accessing it from the Club groomed trail due to the logging. The riding area is fairly large.

The parking at 6k and pretty much everywhere past that is small. Whether it's an open two place, enclosed two place or larger it not only can make it difficult for you but the others who are trying to stage there. It has been seen several times where one trailer can make a mess for many others.

On top of that Friday is still a weekday. The logging activity has priority over the road and they are still running a weekday operation. The website says it's only open to sledding activity on the weekends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Queest isn't just opening. People have been riding there all winter, just not accessing it from the Club groomed trail due to the logging. The riding area is fairly large.

The parking at 6k and pretty much everywhere past that is small. Whether it's an open two place, enclosed two place or larger it not only can make it difficult for you but the others who are trying to stage there. It has been seen several times where one trailer can make a mess for many others.

On top of that Friday is still a weekday. The logging activity has priority over the road and they are still running a weekday operation. The website says it's only open to sledding activity on the weekends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes please don't go up and ride queest week days, unless u know the back way trail in

Shermanator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like the guys said, parking minimal and the logs trucks coming down don't want to meet someone with a trailer coming up. The trail is groomed however from 6k up so if you have a VHF radio (and the frequency is usually posted at the beginning of the road up) then you could make your way up if its a truck only. That's why I mentioned just going over to Blue or Owl's on Friday and leave Queest for the weekend when there are no log trucks....Sherm

Flyer

Reaction score
Ok. Thanks for the details. These reasons will likely cause us to ride Owls Head. Will be sure to have a radio, follow an empty logger in, and not take a trailer in if we decide to go.

Very familiar with with radio calls and sharing the roads with loggers. If we don't hit Queest Friday, it won't happen on the weekend. Hunters Range is just easier when basing from Mabel Lake.

Darren400

Reaction score
anyone have any idea how it will be this weekend with the temps warming up?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anyone have any idea how it will be this weekend with the temps warming up?
Depends on how high it warms up and elevation it gets too

So not really I guess, we will see if mother nature cooperates or not

Shermanator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
150203a.jpg
I did a quick trip up to Blue/Cummings Lk this AM, the goal was to see if in fact there were any fish in Cummings! I did a quick trip to the cabin and dropped down the back, not much new snow in there. I also dropped into "Marks Hole" on the way down the hill, Dan and Rob know about that one! Still pretty humpy in the tree's, need another foot of fresh to cover it up. At Cummings I did manage to get a few holes drilled but lack of bites made me wander off into the tree's on the sled, no bites as far as I know! There was 4-6" of fresh snow this morning, not enough to cover some of the big ruts left from the last thaw we had, but its a start. Like the hired girl says, 4" is better than nothing!
I met a couple of other sledders while fishing, Billdozer "et al" (only because I forgot your name already!) stopped by a couple times, I'll see you two and "Brianne" tomorrow morning for a ride out the backside! Big snow on the way down right at the Owl's turnoff, coming down pretty good and rain when I got to the bottom. A note on the grooming job last night, el perfecto! You can tell a good groom job by the hairpin corners and this AM (I was the first on the trail!) were absolutely perfect, all filled in and nice and flat, great job groomer guy! Off to Blue tomorrow..........Sherm

Shermanator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
150204a.jpg
So, first of all I have to say that I'm not one of those bloggers that goes and posts ridiculous pictures of guys getting stuck, it happens to the best of us?? Great day at Blue today, went up with Mark, Bill and Warren. I met Bill and Warren on Cummings yesterday, terrific riding with you guys, we'll definitely have to do it again and hopefully those holes that Bill now has in his tongue will have healed by they, and the ribs, and that he has his wind back, and well, you know.
We did the entire tour today, several times, moving around with the fog. Not much new snow but we hit a few areas that were untouched, such as Brown Pants, and Mark only got stuck once on the way up! OK, maybe twice, but I think he's getting the hang of the 174 a bit now. We covered the entire hill, 106kms put on the XM, still a half tank of fuel showing on the gauge. The trail past Owl's was getting pretty whooped by the time we came down but it'll no doubt be groomed up for the weekend crowd. Lots of rain on the way so not sure whats gonna happen up top, still pretty warm up there. The bottom 2km of the trail is "pre mud" condition right now, I'm guessing by the end of the weekend we just might be unloading at 2km again! Thanks guys, great time, I'll send you some mail for the weekend ride...Sherm

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 183655
So, first of all I have to say that I'm not one of those bloggers that goes and posts ridiculous pictures of guys getting stuck, it happens to the best of us?? Great day at Blue today, went up with Mark, Bill and Warren. I met Bill and Warren on Cummings yesterday, terrific riding with you guys, we'll definitely have to do it again and hopefully those holes that Bill now has in his tongue will have healed by they, and the ribs, and that he has his wind back, and well, you know.
We did the entire tour today, several times, moving around with the fog. Not much new snow but we hit a few areas that were untouched, such as Brown Pants, and Mark only got stuck once on the way up! OK, maybe twice, but I think he's getting the hang of the 174 a bit now. We covered the entire hill, 106kms put on the XM, still a half tank of fuel showing on the gauge. The trail past Owl's was getting pretty whooped by the time we came down but it'll no doubt be groomed up for the weekend crowd. Lots of rain on the way so not sure whats gonna happen up top, still pretty warm up there. The bottom 2km of the trail is "pre mud" condition right now, I'm guessing by the end of the weekend we just might be unloading at 2km again! Thanks guys, great time, I'll send you some mail for the weekend ride...Sherm

335i

Reaction score
Hey sherm. How much new snow would you say in the last 7 days since hell frozen over up there?

Shermanator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is kinda funny but snow...................................................if it all hadn't melted and been so warm after the big freeze up, there'd be a good foot at least. We poked into the tree's yesterday but there are still hard ruts from the last big snow that haven't been covered yet, so who knows how long before we get a fresh blanket to tear up. I'd say that Queest might be the place to try for some untouched on the Golf Course end but again, with slop falling outta the sky this AM it could be hooped back there too!...Sherm

BillDozer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 183655
Thanks for the ride yesterday and WK the" Lawn Dart" and I had a great day, look forward to doing it again. Heading up this morning will let you know what the snow fall is like.

24V E30

Reaction score
Went up queest Saturday, snow was terrible up top 3" thick ice crust crap. Sleds were barely leaving a mark on the snow. The road up/down is pretty steep muddy and could be icy with the right temps, don't take a sled trailer up its not worth loosing your sleds or trailer over the edge. Sleds were getting pretty hot on the road from 6km mark to the cabin.

Top Bottom