E-Tec Power

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice comparison. You will also note that the machines all run similar tracks and horse power. That just leaves power transfer to the track.

Yup you just arrivd back at the biggest problem with the BRP product, the spring balanced TRA governor system for power transfer.

Next time out bolt on a mass governor, like the cat clutch and you will just fine.

I know. My buddy rides a 2010 Cat M8. If I run the TRA the 800R is embarassing. Install the Comet 108 next ride and in soft snow I can out climb the M8, but only by 30 feet or so. I hard conditions the M8 hard nose track pulls better.

But if you run the TRA you better get used to following the 2010 M8.

Judging by that picture, are you comparing the rev chassis?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went out to Revy with Daryl Baker this weekend and we tested several helix's and still have not found a perfect combo. We can get huge speed but cannot maintain it through the powder. We feel that when the motor gets loaded, the ECM is actually cutting back the power due to heat sensors or something. The reason we say this is that sometimes the sled pulls really hard and other times the rpm's just fall right off.

Daryl tried another guys E-tec with a 163 x 2.5 and stock clutching. This sled ripped up Super bowl and was near over-reving in clicker 1. The day before he said it ran crappy.
So we know that some are better than others, or at least have times when they run better than others

One thing for sure is that Doo still has an clutch alignment problem. I now run the sliding secondary and belts are now good. Daryl slid his motor in as much as he could (50 thou.) to stop his from pulling strings.

YamaDoo PolCat

Reaction score
Judging by that picture, are you comparing the rev chassis?

My brother owns an 08 XP, it does not out climb my REV. The chassis doesn't make any difference from what I have found. I don't go looking for XP victims but I haven't found any of the XP to be better at anything except turning when the snow is hard.

Don't want to rain on your parade, but that's just the facts. To be fair I haven't found anyone on an XP that has taken the time to install a good primary clutch. Who knows, they could probably blow the doors off my sled if they knew how to get the power to the track. But as long as they run the TRA I have no worries about the chassis being different.

Attachments

• PC260376 [640x480].JPG
    PC260376 [640x480].JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 260

jimxp

Reaction score
underdog... no thats not what was compared...a 2011 etec 154" compared to 2009 and 2011 m8 artic cats.

BIG HEAD

Reaction score
Has anyone tryed a different helix. Both Rooster and Joe use a different helix with great results. E=tech has aprox 10 % more power. 10 % more helix??? Isn't trying to shift out on the hill instead of holding the rpm and increasing track speed?

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes i seen the same issues this weekend as well, but found the belt allinment way off, i will be adding a 250 tho shim to push out the secondary, this might be the culprit to the flux rpms as well, and drop belt temps overall

i had to do this on the 08 as well and never went threw a belt again, brp is sleeping at the wheel on this problem

I went out to Revy with Daryl Baker this weekend and we tested several helix's and still have not found a perfect combo. We can get huge speed but cannot maintain it through the powder. We feel that when the motor gets loaded, the ECM is actually cutting back the power due to heat sensors or something. The reason we say this is that sometimes the sled pulls really hard and other times the rpm's just fall right off.

Daryl tried another guys E-tec with a 163 x 2.5 and stock clutching. This sled ripped up Super bowl and was near over-reving in clicker 1. The day before he said it ran crappy.
So we know that some are better than others, or at least have times when they run better than others

One thing for sure is that Doo still has an clutch alignment problem. I now run the sliding secondary and belts are now good. Daryl slid his motor in as much as he could (50 thou.) to stop his from pulling strings.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes i seen the same issues this weekend as well, but found the belt allinment way off, i will be adding a 250 tho shim to push out the secondary, this might be the culprit to the flux rpms as well, and drop belt temps overall

i had to do this on the 08 as well and never went threw a belt again, brp is sleeping at the wheel on this problem

Fred, I have the Doo Doctor floating QRS secondary now. Belt problems are behind me now but the loss of rpm has not changed. Of course we can clicker up and maintain rpm but lose a bunch of track speed. I need to purchase a big bag of extra torque.:rolleyes:

lightening1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on a recent dyno run the stock 800r made 140-141hp, the broke in stock e tec made 147-148hp but a bit stronger in the midrange, so as you see the e tec isnt that far off the 800r in peakhp.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine flashed EEprom 2 as well wondering what this is? people are having mixed reviews with these etecs I took mine to golden and absolutely walked all over the new cats and I mean walked on them the only one who gave a real good run was the pro rmk I'm loving my etec power thing goes every were i need it to

jhsummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.jhactivities.com
I was getting the EEPROM 2 flash on mine for the 1st couple hundred miles, now it's gone. Dealer told me that is was "normal" but couldn't tell me what the hell it was. Prob just coincidence but EEPROM 2 stopped flashing as soon as I took the stock exhaust can off.

Anyone know what the hell EEPROM 2 means?

jhsummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.jhactivities.com
i think it has to do with the oil pump receiving a faulty signal on startup. its not harmfull. dont quote me yet im trying to remember where i read that ill see if i can find out

The dealer did tell me that is was just the computer taking extra readings at startup but I didn't really take it seriously because he's a dooooosh. It was the second time that I had brought it in asking about EEPROM 2.
The first time he told me that is was because it needed an update from skidoo. Why can't dealerships get there chit together! They should know this chit!

jhsummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.jhactivities.com
Oh ya, back to what this thread is about. The new sled rips, I'm super impressed with the power. It is a big improvement over the ptek. Biggest improvement is hands down the air intakes.

Anyone up there in the great North figure out how to get rid of the little hesitation around 6500/7000rpm? I've noticed lately that above 8500ft it's not as bad and above 9000ft it is totally gone.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure it is the stock exhaust mine didnt say anything until after a few rides with new can it only flashes 1 maybe 2 times during a weekend ride so nothing bad it comes on for a quick second then is gone. But yeah the big difference is the new air intakes they are a huge improvement I havent yet had the sled bog in the deep stuff and a few rides have been headlight deep and more and still runs wicked the 08 would bog a fair bit I found with the stock intake and its location

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was getting the EEPROM 2 flash on mine for the 1st couple hundred miles, now it's gone. Dealer told me that is was "normal" but couldn't tell me what the hell it was. Prob just coincidence but EEPROM 2 stopped flashing as soon as I took the stock exhaust can off.

Anyone know what the hell EEPROM 2 means?

EEPROM is memory and could be that the gauges couldn't communicate with the optional module that gives the compass/temperature module. Do you have it? I do and get that error.

I get it with stock or aftermarket can.

Last edited:
Top Bottom