Dyed fuel use in BC

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
don’t have the problems your seeing Ken, run it in everything I have entire life that runs gas and diesel, daughter now with 130k on her car and lives in Vancouver, and trust me she’s uses the dyed cardlock, I pay the bill... wife’s gas vehicles the same

augers, water pumps, heaters, ect sit all winter, run fine the next year..
I know Arman in Vulcan has a sign in their store saying warranty is void in all Stihl power products if you use dyed fuel. They told me that is right from Stihl. We had a couple 3 tons around just for convienance on the farm and they get used maybe for a couple weeks of the year and then sit. Every 3 years we were doing carb jobs on them because they wouldn't idle properly. The tech that did the carbs showed us the sludge in the bottom of the carbs from dye that had accumulated over the couple years and was plugging off passage ways in the carbs. He dug it out with a screw driver and it looked like paste. I think if you are using whatever it is you are running dyed fuel in at least a couple times over the 4 seasons you won't see the issue as the gas never gets to evaporate?

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you certainly could be right, with small minicucule fuel needs and adjustments, don’t have any chainsaws and weed weepers do t ussally make a few seasons before they are destroyed, and yes I could see the build up happening in small needle jets over times..

I know Arman in Vulcan has a sign in their store saying warranty is void in all Stihl power products if you use dyed fuel. They told me that is right from Stihl. We had a couple 3 tons around just for convienance on the farm and they get used maybe for a couple weeks of the year and then sit. Every 3 years we were doing carb jobs on them because they wouldn't idle properly. The tech that did the carbs showed us the sludge in the bottom of the carbs from dye that had accumulated over the couple years and was plugging off passage ways in the carbs. He dug it out with a screw driver and it looked like paste. I think if you are using whatever it is you are running dyed fuel in at least a couple times over the 4 seasons you won't see the issue as the gas never gets to evaporate?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dyed fuel won't hurt your engines. I've been using it for years. What will hurt them is leaving them sit for long periods no matter what fuel you have in them. The sludge you're seeing in carburetors is caused by the fuel breaking down. It just happens to be purple if you're using dyed fuel. Current fuels break down amazingly quickly.

Note: Race fuel is dyed as well. Any of you turbo guys hesitating to run it because of that?

Buddy just got his barrel filled this week with dyed premium. At $1.16 per litre it's way more than a miniscule savings here in BC.

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ken are you using regular dyed instead of premium dyed ?
I use regular dyed in vehicles and regular clear in augers and generators. I use premium clear gas in weed whackers and chainsaw.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Did it have ethanol in it? Had a lot of problems with carbs on generators, etc because of that, started using premium and making sure it had no ethanol (some premium still does) and no more problems. Can't comment on if the dyed gas had any effect as i've never bothered with it don't use enough, only diesel and had no issues.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
b21d6c629580f72dc8e1f421ab3c3567.jpg

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's when the dyed fuel sits, the gas evaporates and leaves the dye

Ever seen a old farm truck carb?? It's red-purple on the out side, same inside lmfao

I used dyed fuel, but make sure last ride of the year gets shell 91 clear and sea foam

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like confusion between marked regular and marked premium. Marked regular will have ethanol which is terrible to leave sitting. As said above they mix it on the truck and they put like a litre of dye into 10k+ litres of fuel, it's hugely diluted. If you're worried run clear for the last spring ride.

Bikeswithtrax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My fuel trucks are filled to 6700 liters per compartment, we add a half liter per compartment we want to be marked. Fuel dye doesn't gum up parts, there are so many misconceptions floating around about fuel. We simply don't charge road taxes on fuel that is marked. It can be used legally in anything not licensed to be on public roads, from a skidder, to generator...quad to boat. Half the gas stations selling it don't even really understand the rules. The ones that do ask you to fill out a form, will eventually just throw them in the trash can anyway. My fuel trucks haul millions of liters of marked fuel annually, it's just not as big a deal as most people try to make it out to be.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and farm plated p/u
never had a issue with the dmax on marked fuel
Diesel fuel is different, it really never evaporates

Wish I could Google search a old farm grain truck, and get a pic of the outside of the carb, it's purple dryed up dye, the hole outside of it

So don't tell me that it won't plug up a pilot jet with dye, cause I've cleaned many carbs being a auto tech, and some were green bad gas and some where purple dye

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The local supplier in Revelstoke tells me he puts 14 ml for 1000 litres so that’s 3 teaspoons for 220 imperial gallons. Insignificant

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ran 1000's of gallons of marked premium through my sleds when I was doing sled tours . Never had a fuel problem on carbed or FI sleds.

not doing tours any more?

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes I have it filled out and on file at Southerland's in Enderby. They started this last summer and in Armstrong as well. They told me government went on a blitz and lost their minds when stations were not keeping records and told them heavy fines will occur going forward.

If you fill the form out and use the same gas station regularly, they keep it on file for you. We see this mostly around Enderby.

Top Bottom