Dyed fuel use in BC

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Went to fill up the sleds with dyed premium the other day in Sicamous and was introduced to the forms below. Since it was two sleds we were filling out, the attendant came out to politely explain the process. If you take over 45 litres, the forms along with two others for the attendant to fill out are necessary. Both times we filled up we didn't take 45 litres and you can fill one sled and pay and then fill the other sled in a separate transaction to circumvent the paper work. Governments sure move in strange ways!! What a total waste of energy, paper, and whatever else it takes to track the use of dyed fuel.

IMG_4052.jpg

IMG_4053.jpg

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Never heard of this one before. More government stupidity.
When I applied for an account for the Co-op in Valemount I had to sign some kind of waiver saying I was not using dyed fuel on the highway.
The Husky in McBride sells dyed premium,I've never heard of this form being used there. Is this something new?

Edit;2015 on the form.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I filled out that form at the Petrocan cardlock when I set up my commercial account years ago. Never seen one since. It's not new, but maybe it's just finally being enforced.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Ya,maybe that's the same form I filled out for Co-op cardlock.Can't remember for sure.Just never heard of a gas station having them.
I filled out that form at the Petrocan cardlock when I set up my commercial account years ago. Never seen one since. It's not new, but maybe it's just finally being enforced.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I filled my boat up last summer in Baynes lake and had to fill a form out

Bikeswithtrax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Occasionally a station gets all gung ho on the paperwork...but many other ones don't. The other day I filled up two 135 gallon tidy tanks with marked gas, no paperwork like usual.

getzcold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had to fill that form out 2 times this summer and fall at the husky in Sicamous. Think it’s the person at the till if they feel like making you sing it. Was the same girl that did it to me. The other employees just turn the pump on.

SCOTTC

Reaction score
If you fill the form out and use the same gas station regularly, they keep it on file for you. We see this mostly around Enderby.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Must be different then Alberta? I filled out Alberta government form as Petro Canada required it for cardlock account to be able to buy dyed and I got a tax exempt fuel number good to buy from any supplier. The form makes sense, that way if someone is caught they can't claim they didn't know. Not that i've heard of anyone getting tanks dipped, but if they need revenue i'm sure they will start, easy to way to bring in big bucks. I bet some of these new canadians are running it....

Last edited:

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In Alberta you can’t just run grape without it being on the farm , trapline , gen sets and so on .
They can fine you if running in a boat , sled and so on if using them outside the scope of what was filled in on the form?
Do they check ? No idea ?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know some companies that sell small engine power products like weed whackers, chainsaws and generators are now voiding warranty for running dyed fuel. I don't run it in my grain augers, generators or weed whacker anymore. Motors run better if you don't use this stuff continually. The fuel evaporates in the fuel system over time but the dye stays there. Even my Superduty recommends not using dyed fuel in it right in the operator manual?

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use it in my sled. After reading your post I think I will change that
I know some companies that sell small engine power products like weed whackers, chainsaws and generators are now voiding warranty for running dyed fuel. I don't run it in my grain augers, generators or weed whacker anymore. Motors run better if you don't use this stuff continually. The fuel evaporates in the fuel system over time but the dye stays there. Even my Superduty recommends not using dyed fuel in it right in the operator manual?

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Definitely agree with this. Anything that sits for a while - seasonal use, etc... ends up with the gasoline evaporating off and the dye left behind, or getting more concentrated. Seen lots of issues caused from this. It’s ok for the pipeline or construction guys that use it continuously, but for farms, sleds, boats, etc it’s not worth the little bit of savings imo.

I’ve heard Saskatchewan has a different system - just buy the clear fuel and then file for the rebate based on your eligibility - farmer, etc. Little bit more work to track receipts and such, but I’d much prefer this over the dyed fuel.

armascott

Armaguard
Reaction score
It is silly this rule we used to fill up the sleds at the Husky in McBride all the time. Now it's kind of a pain to fill one sled at a time paying each time in between. So now I just bring jerry cans filled in Alberta.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
don’t have the problems your seeing Ken, run it in everything I have entire life that runs gas and diesel, daughter now with 130k on her car and lives in Vancouver, and trust me she’s uses the dyed cardlock, I pay the bill... wife’s gas vehicles the same

augers, water pumps, heaters, ect sit all winter, run fine the next year..

Top Bottom