Duramax Trans Coolent lines

nytro mtx

Reaction score
Hey All
Does anyone out there know a solution to the trans coolent line leaks on a 2006 duramax? This has been a problem since 03 on these trucks and they won't issue a recall. I've gone through 3 sets now and there leaking again. Are these lines pressured?
Any help would be great.

Dwayne

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey All
Does anyone out there know a solution to the trans coolent line leaks on a 2006 duramax? This has been a problem since 03 on these trucks and they won't issue a recall. I've gone through 3 sets now and there leaking again. Are these lines pressured?
Any help would be great.

Dwayne

Phone the boys at Lo-Cost 7124-Whyte Ave, 780-468-2678. They get new lines ones made up at a hydralic shop and don't use the crimp on ends.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Phone the boys at Lo-Cost 7124-Whyte Ave, 780-468-2678. They get new lines ones made up at a hydralic shop and don't use the crimp on ends.

if your talking about the crimped ends (like air line crimps) used to work for ford they would always leak what i was doing to fix them was cutting the crimps off with a die grinder being careful not to go to deep and replacing the hose and putting on stainless steel gear clamps .... never had a issue ....

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if your talking about the crimped ends (like air line crimps) used to work for ford they would always leak what i was doing to fix them was cutting the crimps off with a die grinder being careful not to go to deep and replacing the hose and putting on stainless steel gear clamps .... never had a issue ....

Are you refering to typical hose clamps ? or is there other clamps ?

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you refering to typical hose clamps ? or is there other clamps ?

i used to use the regular hose clamps worked good but there is better clamps out there ... just have to make sure you have a flared end as well

in the irrigation field we use a brand called mikalor clamps they put even pressure around the whole area where gear clamps seem to be a bit erratic .. id have to check and see if you can get them in the smaller sizes

and yes the lines are under pressure i just cant remember how much

lucm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey All
Any help would be great.

Dwayne

I'm not sure if the new trucks have decent lines now, but I have an '07, new gen duramax and I ended up getting new lines made up to fix the problem...

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Gm is aware of the problem, but it is only a concern in mostly western canada(which is a very small percentage of vehicles that fail, compared to all of north america). The transmission cooler lines can run up to 60 psi or more. Gm isn't to concerned about warranty, or recalls, because the failure is due to the extreme temperatures we can achieve here in western canada(mostly alberta). +35*c to -40*c...... Down in the u.s. There are very few cooler line failures. The failure is the difference in expansion/contraction between the aluminum crimps, the hose and the aluminum tubing. I have talked with gm service managers, shop foremans, and gm service representatives about the situtation. Anything under the warranty will be honored and warrantied like normal. After that a customer is on there own. We normally replace the lines as recomended, but are starting to repair more and more lines. We cut the lines and chamfer the ends and reflare if we can, otherwise we use the good "fuel injection" style hd hose clamps and double clamp the new hi-pressure hose onto the tubing..... Never leaks, and have not had a problem yet...this will save you a few bucks.. Just sayin'

nytro mtx

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thanx to all that replied.
I bought the truck in o6 and paid the $3400.00 for the extended warrenty for up to 100 000 kms. When I brought the truck in for the 3rd time with these cooling line leaks at 87000kms they told me that these lines were no longer a warrenty item because they were a "wearable" part and it would cost me $1600.00 to replace all 3 lines. Needless to say I was pissed and took my truck and left. So a weeks ago I booked the weekend to replace these lines myself not having done them befor I didnt know wat to expect.
Ended up the 3 lines from the dealer were a total of $118.07 and I replaced them in my garage in 2 hours with a few pops.
Dont think i'll be purchasing my next truck from them, LOL, and may be sending the service manager a nice letter.

Dwayne

chelle

Marathon Truck Decks
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thanx to all that replied.
I bought the truck in o6 and paid the $3400.00 for the extended warrenty for up to 100 000 kms. When I brought the truck in for the 3rd time with these cooling line leaks at 87000kms they told me that these lines were no longer a warrenty item because they were a "wearable" part and it would cost me $1600.00 to replace all 3 lines. Needless to say I was pissed and took my truck and left. So a weeks ago I booked the weekend to replace these lines myself not having done them befor I didnt know wat to expect.
Ended up the 3 lines from the dealer were a total of $118.07 and I replaced them in my garage in 2 hours with a few pops.
Dont think i'll be purchasing my next truck from them, LOL, and may be sending the service manager a nice letter.

Dwayne

So what was the final "pop" to coolant lines ratio?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
hey guys,

thanx to all that replied.
I bought the truck in o6 and paid the $3400.00 for the extended warrenty for up to 100 000 kms. When i brought the truck in for the 3rd time with these cooling line leaks at 87000kms they told me that these lines were no longer a warrenty item because they were a "wearable" part and it would cost me $1600.00 to replace all 3 lines. Needless to say i was pissed and took my truck and left. So a weeks ago i booked the weekend to replace these lines myself not having done them befor i didnt know wat to expect.
Ended up the 3 lines from the dealer were a total of $118.07 and i replaced them in my garage in 2 hours with a few pops.
Dont think i'll be purchasing my next truck from them, lol, and may be sending the service manager a nice letter.

Dwayne

where did they get their $1600.00 estimate from..... Replacing the waterpump, alternator, p/s pump and radiator? Wtf? I would seriously be questioning that dealership!!!

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
where did they get their $1600.00 estimate from..... Replacing the waterpump, alternator, p/s pump and radiator? Wtf? I would seriously be questioning that dealership!!!

apparently they were taking the old lines of the old truck driving a new truck up and putting old lines on new truck
and giving you your old lines back

rip off bastages

powderpusher

Reaction score
have the same problem with my 07 duramax ,smyl chev olds said they can get after market lines made that will eliminate this problem total cost of lines and replacement at there shop was around $500 as for the warranty issue with chevy lately i will not be buying another new gm product as there not standing behind there warranty as they seem to have the opinion it is regular wear and tear and not covered under warranty everytime something goes wrong they may as well be advertising there new trucks as no warranty available as every time it goes into the shop it cost you money out of your pocket any way

feyd

Reaction score
I had that problem with my LBZ last year....didn't have warranty but decided to get lines replaced with better fittings.

It's a bit of a drive but I had some other work done while I was there...

loffelbein88

Reaction score
The new supposivly updated lines still leal just as fast.the 010 have the same junk lines.I have seen a couple trucks come into the dealer wit aftermarket lines and do not leak.haven tried flaring the ends and putting new hose wit clamps.sounds like a good idea as long as they dont blow apart

Top Bottom